Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Wow! Thats amazing. What a brilliant thing to do ❤.

My husband went to try and donate his plasma after having COVID-19 but sadly his veins weren't good enough. I've sadly had 4 blood transfusions so can't now donate; but I'm forever grateful to those that do ❤
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Congratulations and thank you. I’m another who would love to donate but can’t as I’ve had a transfusion.
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
[QUOTE=CAD;14809069]I thought people who had transfusions in the past were allowed to give blood now and the only rule was that you needed to wait at least 12 months since the transfusion.

Is that not the case then?[/QUOTE

From NBTS website
Transfusion
If you have had or think you have had a blood transfusion (or blood products) anytime since 1st January 1980 sadly, we cannot accept your blood.

This aims to reduce the possible risk of variant CJD (vCJD) being passed from donor to patient. However, just like our other rules regarding who can and who can't give blood, things can change. As new scientific information becomes available we will review the situation. This could mean either continuing with this ruling or asking people to return to donating. This is unclear at the moment.

If you were transfused ONLY with COVID19 convalescent plasma from 1st May 2020 for treatment of COVID19 and have had no other transfusion since 1st January 1980- please call us on 0300 123 23 23

I would love to donate again, but since I received a transfusion in 2002 I'm not allowed to

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well done 👏 💜

So proud of people who do this, I have a needle phobia... Not my proudest achievement but my family doctor said that my type of phobia/condition (faint every time) isn't curable so I'm better off not giving blood 😳😕 as

My dad is 0- and used to give blood all the time but was asked to move onto platelets a few years back and has had a few awards, but his proudest moment was when he received a card from a family who wrote that without his extra contributions (he got called in for an emergency donation at one point) their child wouldn't have been there for their 1st Christmas 🙏 that was the 1st time I'd ever seen my dad well up ❤️ He never really thought about his (and many others) contribution and what it meant to others.

I'm so proud of people who do this, feel really guilty that I can't 😭

Dunx x

DUNXandWILL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Ok so I'll take the "stupid question" straw...

What is the difference between platelets and just a blood donation, and is the "extraction" any different?

Well done on reaching the 💯 by the way
Platelets are one component of whole blood. They are transfused to help blood clot after severe trauma or before/with chemo.

The process is different. The line you see coming out of my arm is attached to a machine. Blood is drawn out of my arm, spun in the machine and the platelets are separated out by centrifugal force. The platelets are stored in those bags you can see, and the rest of the blood is pumped back into my arm through the same line. The draw and return cycles last for about 30/45 seconds each. I donate 3 units and last time it took 86 mins. You need a strong vein to take that strain.

You can give platelets every 14 days assuming you’re healthy. Extracted platelets last only about 5 days so a constant supply is needed. Whole blood lasts a lot longer.

Platelets are taken only at a blood centre, not at the temporary pop-ups where blood is taken.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Platelets are one component of whole blood. They are transfused to help blood clot after severe trauma or before/with chemo.

The process is different. The line you see coming out of my arm is attached to a machine. Blood is drawn out of my arm, spun in the machine and the platelets are separated out by centrifugal force. The platelets are stored in those bags you can see, and the rest of the blood is pumped back into my arm through the same line. The draw and return cycles last for about 30/45 seconds each. I donate 3 units and last time it took 86 mins. You need a strong vein to take that strain.

You can give platelets every 14 days assuming you’re healthy. Extracted platelets last only about 5 days so a constant supply is needed. Whole blood lasts a lot longer.

Platelets are taken only at a blood centre, not at the temporary pop-ups where blood is taken.
Thanks for that, I'd say it makes sense, but I'm not sure I'll ever understand it, but at least I know now what the difference is
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I knew nothing about platelets until a friend of mine needed them when he was having chemo. I looked into it and found I was suitable.

I get a text telling me which hospital they go to but obviously never the patient’s details.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
Well done! I wanted to donate platelets and they did ask me once when I donated as they needed my blood group but when they assessed my veins I only have one decent one which they said wouldn’t be good enough 😫
I still give blood though and am going again next Monday and my blood is suitable for neonatal babies too so I try and go as often as I am allowed.
Blood for neonatal babies is particularly precious 🥰
Old 25 Jan 21, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Amazing, well done My partner donates blood regularly (I can't due to having had a blood transfusion) and wanted to donate plasma but wasn't allowed due to not having a suitable vein in his arm.
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

What an amazing achievement... well done you!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List