Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Dec 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Xmas in Orlando

Hi
We are booked to go over Easter which has been changed from august due to covid, tickets etc.. have been extended until the end of 2021. I’m 99% sure Easter won’t go ahead so I was thinking if it gets cancelled what is it like to go during the Christmas school holidays?... I realise it will be mega busy we usually go in august. I can manage that with planning but was thinking about the weather? My sons favourite park is volcano bay.. would it be too cold? We have tickets for discovery cove so I’m just unsure how a Christmas break would be. Any feedback good or bad really appreciated, thanks ☺️☺️
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Put it this way, what's the temp in Florida today? Base your trip on what that could be. Not really water park weather in Dec.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Only the Brits go to the water parks at this time of year

Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

I checked, going to be colder tonight 4c than here in UK currently 9c. wasn't that cold when we went in Dec 2018.

Edited at 09:37 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Unseasonably cold today, we have managed 6 Boxing Day trips to discovery cove in the last 10 years.

If you don’t mind it busy it’s a great time to visit.
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We’ve been in winter many times, and at Christmas.

In winter they regularly get cold fronts coming down, but they tend only to last a few days.

The Orlando Florida weather has been unusually cold the last few days (nice and sunny some of it though) but it’s rising to 22, then 27.

It’s a damn sight better than here. A couple of Christmas back it was sunny and in the high seventies and eighties every day over the whole UK Xmas holidays.

Last year it rained a lot (unusual again) but apart from Xmas eve, it was very warm- we were there 10 days.

Most of the time you can use pools etc no problems.

You could always tag some nights on in somewhere like Naples, the cold fronts often don’t get down that far and it’s generally warmer.

Last Christmas Day this was us in Beach Club pool and on New Years we were in shorts and short sleeves watching the fireworks at Top of the World. I’d take it over the UK any time, thanks and will be back next year.

Edited at 12:59 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

We have been for Xmas twice, once in 2007 (the good old days when the £:$ was roughly 1:1.90 - we did the sales a lot that year ) and then last year. I have to say that the two trips were a total contrast weather wise with temperatures in the low-mid 70s and dry most days in 2007, while last year it rained a lot and was colder during our stay. The evenings are colder anyway but if you get lucky you can have some amazing warm and sunny days in the parks, just make sure you have a jumper for later in the day. Crowds last year were crazy over the xmas/NY period and this has really put me off visiting again at this time, one way/keep left systems, lots of bottlenecks and people trying to ram you with strollers so they can move 3 feet forwards to be behind the crowd that is the reason you were not moving in the first place - didn't really scream xmas to me.

If I could I would try to visit before the main school holidays as the parks are beautiful and there is a lot to see at this time of year (plus hotels are much cheaper before 21st/22nd) We had a great time but found WDW too crowded to be pleasant (other than Epcot) on some days. We didn't visit waterparks but if it is cold these don't always open anyway and have shorter hours to make the best of the heat. I am sure you will have a great time, the weather may not be as good as you are hoping, or it might be great all week - if you are happy with that gamble I am sure it will be a Christmas to remember.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks all... hmmm not feeling that Xmas is the best time then for us. I work in a school so holidays are our only time. Will see what happens with the Easter booking ☺️
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have booked for next Xmas flying on Xmas day for 13 nights. We have 2 nights at HRH to do universal then we have Discovery cove ultimates which DH thinks is mad in December! I don’t mind if we don’t get to Aquatica but not getting to DC would mean we had seriously wasted money! From what I have read it’s very mixed weather so hoping we will get at least one mild day!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Only been once over Christmas ,but Florida many times for New Year
Its very busy ,the weather is completely unpredictable have known it to be 49 one day and 82 a few days later ( Fahrenheit )
We haven't been to the parks for many years ,we found it just got busier each year .To the point it was pretty miserable tbh
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List