Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 May 17, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by erniebert1 View Post
Your welcome. I'll be honest you won't think it's a Michelin star restaurant when you walk in but the food is fantastic. They do pack people in so if your on a table of 4, if someone comes in to eat alone they will seat them on your table to use all the space possible.

Mong kok is where we stayed and we found it a great area for just about everything. It's also on the main red mtr line which can take you to the harbour ( 3 stops )and over to the island ( 5 stops )without needing to change lines.

Octopus cards will cost you 150 Hkd each (£15 ish ). £5 of that is used as a deposit so you start with £10 credit. An average 3 to 4 stop journey costs about 60p so you might not need to top it up too much. All mtr stations have customer service booths or "add value machines" where you add credit to your card very easily. Then once you have used it for the last time, take it to a customer service booth where they will give you back what credit you have left along with the £5 deposit.

Happy to help if you need any more info
Thanks -again! We are staying very close to Yau Ma Tie station which is on the red line, so that sounds really convenient to everywhere.
Thanks also for the info re the Octopus card, good to know you get your deposit back for returning the card.

You've made me very excited for visiting HK - thanks for all the useful info!

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ourdaybydesign View Post
Thank you that's great to know. I've been reading your other tips too. We are planning 2 days at Disney, 1 at Ocean Park, 1 at the Buddha, 1 at the beach, 1 at the star ferry / wheel / peak then another day in the city too.
Sounds great. You can catch the ferry to HK island, the wheel is right outside the ferry terminal and then your a 10 mins walk to the peak tram from the wheel. Enjoy :-)

Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
Thanks -again! We are staying very close to Yau Ma Tie station which is on the red line, so that sounds really convenient to everywhere.
Thanks also for the info re the Octopus card, good to know you get your deposit back for returning the card.

You've made me very excited for visiting HK - thanks for all the useful info!

Suzy
Yau Ma Tie will be a great convenience for you to get about. Tsim sha tsui is the stop to catch the ferry and see the light show, then staying on the line or catch the ferry to central to take the shortest walk to the tram peak :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Originally Posted by erniebert1 View Post
Yau Ma Tie will be a great convenience for you to get about. Tsim sha tsui is the stop to catch the ferry and see the light show, then staying on the line or catch the ferry to central to take the shortest walk to the tram peak :-)
Great! Thanks very much :-)

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hi erniebert1, glad you had a great time. We are going to HK beginning of June for 5 nights. I have been doing lots of reading. We are planning on going up the peak but have not heard mention of the fast pass tickets. Where do you get them?

Thanks for all the great info by the way. I'm sure I will have a few more questions before we go!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Hi erniebert1, glad you had a great time. We are going to HK beginning of June for 5 nights. I have been doing lots of reading. We are planning on going up the peak but have not heard mention of the fast pass tickets. Where do you get them?

Thanks for all the great info by the way. I'm sure I will have a few more questions before we go!
Hiya. We bought our tickets online the day before we went to the peak, our hotel provided us with a free phone to use around Honk kong and you could order tickets through their app. There were other companies doing the fast pass as well, the most popular site to buy from was Klook.com. they have about 4 or 5 set times to choose from and enables you to get fast pass up to the peak but it's only for the ride up you have to queue normally to get back down but the line was so much quicker coming back down anyway compared to up to a 2 hour wait getting up.

All you do is meet a guide at Central station who will then give you your tickets and guide you to the tram entrance which is no more than a 10 mins walk. They will then get you into the fast lane and follow you up on the tram. Once up there they will give you a quick talk on what you can do and then leave you alone to explore and enjoy.

It's 100% worth it and at most will cost you £1 more than a standard ticket. Sounds cruel but you will feel very smug when you walk past the mass queue to get onto the tram.

The peak tram is the most popular attractions in Hong Kong, if you can I would not do it on a weekend regardless of having a fast pass and if you can sit on the right side of the tram when going up, you will get the best views.

Happy to help if you have more questions

Edited at 07:52 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I went to HK donkeys years ago so it will have changed a bit since I saw the following things:-

After We went to Victoria Peak we went to Aberdeen Harbour and did a boat trip, was amazing to see House boats with whole families on, junks, restaurant boats etc.

Over on Kowloon there are marvellous markets down narrow streets. There was a bird market - all sorts of exotic birds in cages which I didn't approve of but it's their way. Also a whole road with coffin makers - open-fronted shops so you could see them being made.

There was also an enormous store full of typical Chinese souvenirs such as paintings on bamboo scrolls, sake/green tea sets.

There are dim sum restaurants where they bring trolleys round and you choose the flavours.

I loved Hongkong.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List