Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 4 Nov 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
CreakingStool
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
The 5 Year Plan - May/June 2017 - Travelling and Day 1

Do I start this trip report with an apology? I'm late, I'm late, I'm very,very late Sorry

My pre trip is here is you want to check it out,

Link To Introductions and Pre Trip index

Our trip was back in May and June 2017. It was fantastic The time has just flown since our return, what with my sons last half term at junior school, a busy time at work, summer holidays etc etc. But I am determind to get this written this year I've sorted through the receipts and photos and got hold of my (not very good!) notes so here we go...

Day 1 - Saturday 20th May 2017.

Travel day begins at 5am with a nice brew as I can't do anything without a cuppa for starters and I knew I'd miss a good cup of tea on our hols, never as good as at home! We got dressed and packed the last few bits, I was pretty much done and very happy that we were so organised, its not always like this LOL!

Taxi came at 6.30 and was spot on time and we winged our way to Manchester airport where we arrived at about 10 past 7. Check in was easy as was security. No queue to speak of, we had fast track for security as were were in the premium cabin on our outbound Thomas Cook flight. I also made the decision to put all our electrical items in one bag and split them up once through security and this was a great idea, I recommend it to anyone travelling with children.

By 8am we were sat at the window near Stabucks having some breakfast, a mixture of bacon, croissants, juice and tea/coffee.

A little bit of duty free shopping in pairs, DH bought some aftershave and a cap, and DS boughts a United cap. I bought some mascara and 2 bottles of rose and DD bought a teddy (she loves a plush!). Also a trip to boots for bottles of water each and a few snacks/treats.

Off the gate we went eventually. We were boarded first into the premium cabin and impressions were really good, we took to our seats and were given juice or prosecco, yummy.

We all had a little goody bag on our seats with socks, blanket and a water bottle plus some other things I can't remember! We had all brought our own headphones and soon got plugged in on the entertainment. Lots of good films, took us adults twice as long to watch a film as it should do, the joys or having a child next to each of us! I think I watched Jackie and Fantastic Beasts. The kids watched Garfield and Moana I think. Can't remember what DH watched but we were impressed with the selection and the quality.

Food was lovely, not had a plane meal for years. We never book them on our short haul flights, meal deal from boots instead, and haven't been long haul for over 15 years. Gav and I had a chicked dish which was really delicious. Kids are fussy, their childrens meals were fine but we'd brought sandwiches too.

We had wine and beer and juices, not too many but just enough, it was free and we weren't driving The rose was very nice.

We took off from Manchester at 10.33am and landed at 1.46pm which was 45 minutes early. Exited from premium first and quick walked into the immigration hall which was pretty much empty - - we must have been the first international to arrive which I know is a good thing. We looked behind us a littel later and the hall was heaving.

All was fine, finger prints done etc. We then collected our bags which were just coming out as we got to the belt (I think these also come out first if you fly premium). Now the first crazy experience - toilets with an automatic flush. DD completely freaked out hadn't thought to prepare her and these ones seemed to have a mind of their own! Oh well, she was a bit nervous about public toilets in the first few days after this experience. This whole area was quite scruffy and messy, I assume this is what they are doing work on, I hope so as it desperately needs it.

We had food in our cases (cereals, snacks) and so we declared this and had our bags scanned for a second time which was very quick.

Took our bags down the escalator and didn't do second bag drop - onto the tram thingy. We had three items of luggage, 2 cases and a smaller holdall on wheels which DS11 was handling, I hadn't realised it was quite a walk to the magical express though and would have got a trolley if I'd known this as DS did struggle and moan quite a bit.

Bit of a queue to check in and as usual we get behind a person with no documentation and they can't find him I have everything printed, prepared and in required order I'm cool like that We got there eventually and headed to the line for OKW, we weren't waiting too long but it wasn't a disney bus I was a bit sad but soon got over it! Bus was full but OKW was to be the first drop off. We were all a bit tired and happy to sit down, even though we had a great experience its a long and stressful at times expereince on a long haul flight.

With eager anticipation we stared out the window for any sign of Disney, we soon went under the welcome sign and they turned into the OKW grounds WOW! It was so beautiful and everything I'd hoped for

Off the bus, wow it was hot! Check in was great, a lovely quite elderly lady checked us in. We were given first time badges, birthday badge for DH who was 40 the day before, lovely shell necklaces and our magic bands. The children were given balloon animals Excellent service from everyone. Meal plan was explained but I've got you guys so I was well prepared and knew what was going on Room 6316 was to be ours for the next 11 nights, in an excellent position close to hospitality house and the exterior at least had been all renovated and looked beautiful when we finally arrived after walking a super long way round in the heat with all our bags and 2 over excited children Opened the door with our amazing magic bands (I seriously want one of these for every day use - they are fantastic), we were blown away. Our 1 bed apartment was HUGE. I know these rooms aren't cheap but they are so worth it in my opinion.

Its now 4.30 so our journey really couldn't have been much more perfect We dropped the bags and headed out to get something to eat at Disney Springs, our first trip on the Disney buses. Didn't wait long and it was a quick journey. We found our way to Blaze but the queue seemed big so we didn't go in there (mistake as we found out later in the holiday as its amazing!) but we went to Cookes of Dublin instead as I knew we'd all eat fish and chips and it was not a time for any upsets! This would have cost $51.12 for 2 adult fish and chips, 1 adult burger and a kids fish and chips - we used 4 QS credits. Food was tasty but not huge portions although fine for us lot.

I must apologise here, as a lot of my food pictures (if they exist) are already part eaten
We had a little look around, it was so hot! Well aware that it was coming up to 6pm which was 11pm our time and the kids were probably running on their last bit of energy, we headed back to OKW on the bus. We popped into Conch Flats General Stores (so cute) and picked up our refillable mugs, all different colours We also bought a few bits for the room,
large bottle of water for overnight $5
Milk $3.69
6 pack of bud light $16
Ariel in a wedding dress as DD could not leave without it $24.99
Total $52.59 which we charged to our room, we decided to do this for everything, so easy.
Picked up a packet of goofy sour cherry balls that DS had his eye on but they were horrible and went in the bin - 1 snack credit.

We went back to the room, all quite shattered now and ready for some down time. Kids have been absolutely amazing. We made up both the kids beds (DD on the sofa bed and DS on the chair bed at their choice). They were alseep quickly, by 8.

Couple of beers and some wine while we unpacked and sat in bed we were asleep by 10.

We had a few cross words, DS in particular can feel a bit anxious in new places and with food he's not sure about so we have to be patient and its not always easy but a great 1st day.

Meal Plan
Adult TS - 33 left
Child TS - 11 left
Quick Service - 40 left
Snack Credits - 87 left

NEXT - Day 2. MK, Crystal palace, OKW Pool

A long awaited Disney Fix. DLP June 2023, me and my girl

Edited at 12:12 AM.
CreakingStool is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It's good to have a plan... and 5 years in the making of your wdw trip it certainly seems that the travel day was a success! Looking forward to the next update.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
That's about as good as a travel day gets! Completely hassle free! Looking forward to more
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
CreakingStool
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It's good to have a plan... and 5 years in the making of your wdw trip it certainly seems that the travel day was a success! Looking forward to the next update.
I'm a proper planner, this holiday was right up my street and I enjoyed that part almost as much as the holiday Its just so nice to see the plans come together into an amazing family holiday and see the smiles on everyones faces

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
That's about as good as a travel day gets! Completely hassle free! Looking forward to more
It really was just so calm and hassle free. You worry about delays and queues and try and plan for each eventuality but in the end we didn't have any issues at all. I was very relieved

A long awaited Disney Fix. DLP June 2023, me and my girl

CreakingStool is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

What a great day! You must have been so relieved to be there after all the planning. Our USA holiday this year was 3 years in the planning and the next one will be 2 and a half so I can imagine how excited you were to finally get there! Really enjoying reading along
Old 18 Nov 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Great day really enjoyed reading thank you for sharing looking forward to the rest 😊
Old 20 Nov 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimedream
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Great start can't wait to read more 😊
firsttimedream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 17, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Fantastic first day with no hitches ! Love your room at okw. If I am ever able to stay on site I would definitely choose okw.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List