Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 17, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by erniebert1 View Post
We stayed at the Royal Plaza Hotel in Mong Kok. The hotel is on top of the local MTR station and next to a 200 store shopping centre. You are close to the markets and street food vendors and 3 stops away from the the ferry boats and best place to watch the light show. Also liked the free phone they give you with unlimited calls and Internet. If you wanted to stay on the island we also stayed at hotel Jen which was situated in a more authentic part of hong kong but still only 50 yards from the MTR
I've just looked at the Royal Plaza and it looks like the bathroom isn't private I.e. It's a huge glass window! I've seen a lot of hotels in HK like that and as I have a 15 and 10 year old that wouldn't be suitable 😔. Was your room like that please?
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
I've just looked at the Royal Plaza and it looks like the bathroom isn't private I.e. It's a huge glass window! I've seen a lot of hotels in HK like that and as I have a 15 and 10 year old that wouldn't be suitable 😔. Was your room like that please?
It does look a bit miss leading by the pictures on the website but I can promise you there is a blind that can be brought down to make it 100% private. One thing I loved was how well they looked after us on our last day. Checkout was 12pm but our flight home wasn't until 11.40pm that night and the last thing we wanted to do was be stuck with our luggage all day. They kindly kept our luggage for us locked away so we could spend the day sightseeing etc.. When we came back, they let us have entry into the health club so we could have a shower and get changed before catching the free bus to Kowloon station to start our journey home.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

It does look a bit miss leading by the pictures on the website but I can promise you there is a blind that can be brought down to make it 100% private. One thing I loved was how well they looked after us on our last day. Checkout was 12pm but our flight home wasn't until 11.40pm that night and the last thing we wanted to do was be stuck with our luggage all day. They kindly kept our luggage for us locked away so we could spend the day sightseeing etc.. When we came back, they let us have entry into the health club so we could have a shower and get changed before catching the free bus to Kowloon station to start our journey home.

Phew! Thanks for clarifying that! It sounds a very friendly place 😀 There are so many hotels it's difficult to choose which one!
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Phew! Thanks for clarifying that! It sounds a very friendly place 😀 There are so many hotels it's difficult to choose which one!
It took us a while to choose our hotels there really are so many to look at. My biggest tip would be to look at the MTR map and choose somewhere that is close to the red line of the MTR. For me all the best places to visit and see are close to most of the stations of that line. Will make it nice and easy to get about efficiently and easily

Edited at 08:59 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

It took us a while to choose our hotels there really are so many to look at. My biggest tip would be to look at the MTR map and choose somewhere that is close to the red line of the MTR. For me all the best places to visit and see are close to most of the stations of that line. Will make it nice and easy to get about efficiently and easily
Fab, great tip, thank you 👍
Old 5 Jun 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Hi there, do you mind me asking who you booked your trip with please? We're looking at going in October next year but haven't really got a clue where to start!

Thanks in advance xx
Hi - so sorry, I didn't realise you had asked me a question! We booked it all ourselves, I booked the flights with The Flight Centre as we were going from Birmingham to Japan, Japan to Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong to Singapore; all hotels were Sheratons as I had signed up for their free loyalty system which gave me free Wi-Fi in each hotel, except for Hong Kong Disneyland where I booked directly with HKD themselves, and got 3 nights at the Hollywood Hotel and 2-day tickets.

I had to make up a spreadsheet with what dates we were going to be in each country/hotel, as it was a very complicated holiday! I think the best place to start is to decide on your dates and destinations, and take it from there.

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier! Hope it helps.
Old 5 Jun 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Hi - so sorry, I didn't realise you had asked me a question! We booked it all ourselves, I booked the flights with The Flight Centre as we were going from Birmingham to Japan, Japan to Hong Kong, and then Hong Kong to Singapore; all hotels were Sheratons as I had signed up for their free loyalty system which gave me free Wi-Fi in each hotel, except for Hong Kong Disneyland where I booked directly with HKD themselves, and got 3 nights at the Hollywood Hotel and 2-day tickets.

I had to make up a spreadsheet with what dates we were going to be in each country/hotel, as it was a very complicated holiday! I think the best place to start is to decide on your dates and destinations, and take it from there.

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier! Hope it helps.
It certainly does thank you. That sounds an epic trip, I wish my budget would stretch to that!

Am just trying to figure out if we can afford a detour to China to hold a baby panda 😜
Old 5 Jun 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

It certainly does thank you. That sounds an epic trip, I wish my budget would stretch to that!

Am just trying to figure out if we can afford a detour to China to hold a baby panda 😜
we just did the panda last month before Disney - it was good but pretty expensive and over with VERY quickly!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
we just did the panda last month before Disney - it was good but pretty expensive and over with VERY quickly!
OMG Really, you lucky thing. Was that the Chegdu panda research centre? I so want to do it ❤️
Old 5 Jun 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

OMG Really, you lucky thing. Was that the Chegdu panda research centre? I so want to do it ❤️
we stayed in Chengdu and went to the facility about an hour away as we were told it's less busy and you can sit with a young panda
It was over £200 each and lasted only about 20 SECONDS! Glad we did it tho'

chinahighlights/cheng...nda-valley.htm

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List