Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 17, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by pandv_2000 View Post
Don't worry about Japan outside of Tokyo - a lot of the Japanese speak English but they don't like to show weakness - if you start the conversation with a "sumimasen" then you have shown the weakness first and they tend to be happy to speak to you in English then. Most signs are in English and we found everyone we met to be very polite and helpful. We visited the same places as you and the language barrier was never an issue.

We found it useful to hire a portable wi-fi device. We used global advanced and it was useful for google maps etc. Google translate can read signs for you too which is useful. Just relax and enjoy
Thank you that is really reassuring. We have hired a mifi system to pick up at the airport as I know we will need maps and translation apps. Yes I have learnt a few basics - but I won't be able to understand any replies :-). But yes I have been told how lovely and helpful the Japanese people are - so that reassures me a lot too :-). I'm really excited.

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
This forum has gone a bit quiet - is anyone else going soon? If so how are your plans coming together?

We set off in less than 3 weeks now - flying to Tokyo first for a week (4 days Disney, 3 days central), then a week covering Hiroshima, Kyoto and Osaka, then onto Hong Kong for 4 days before flying home.

Last weekend I had a blitz on buying all the tickets I need like Disney tickets, Universal Studios, sorting our Japan rail passes, airport parking etc - so feel I am nearly there. I need to order my currency and finish my daily plans - and pack of course.

Can't wait! :-)

So anyone else going soon? How's the preparation going?

Suzy
Sounds fantastic, can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. Have an amazing time 👍
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
Sounds fantastic, can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. Have an amazing time 👍
Thank you so much! Really looking forward to it :-)

Suzy
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you that is really reassuring. We have hired a mifi system to pick up at the airport as I know we will need maps and translation apps. Yes I have learnt a few basics - but I won't be able to understand any replies :-). But yes I have been told how lovely and helpful the Japanese people are - so that reassures me a lot too :-). I'm really excited.

Suzy
You will have a fab time. Dare I say it but we love Japan more then WDW It's so clean and safe. We saw a guy in McDonalds leave his macbook, phone and wallet on the table whilst he went to the toilet. When he reappeared 10 mins later everything was untouched. DH was reading an article earlier about how the police are having to entice criminals to commit crimes in order to have something to do

economist/news/asia/...ns-police-hunt

Where are you staying in Shinjuku? Are you in the business district? Have a good wander around Don Quixote. They have everything under the sun but be careful - we were in one section looking at little paper models of ramen stands etc, turned a corner and there were other toys that we definitely didn't want our kids to see
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post

You will have a fab time. Dare I say it but we love Japan more then WDW It's so clean and safe. We saw a guy in McDonalds leave his macbook, phone and wallet on the table whilst he went to the toilet. When he reappeared 10 mins later everything was untouched. DH was reading an article earlier about how the police are having to entice criminals to commit crimes in order to have something to do

Where are you staying in Shinjuku? Are you in the business district? Have a good wander around Don Quixote. They have everything under the sun but be careful - we were in one section looking at little paper models of ramen stands etc, turned a corner and there were other toys that we definitely didn't want our kids to see
I Think i read your trip report i second Don Quixote they have 2 in Shinjuku both super we have spent loads in both.Cant wait to read everyone reports my son is going to school in Nagoya so will be back there several times he speaks Japanese .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews

Ha ha - brilliant . We are staying for 5 nights at one of the Disney partner hotels in Tokyo Bay first then moving to Shinjuku where we are staying at hotel Gracery which is the one with the dinosaur coming out of the top near the Robot Restaurant - I believe it is in the red light district but it is safe and not an issue :-).

You know the more I read about Japan the more I think I am going to love it. The lack of crime as you mention above is so brilliant and the organisation, cleanliness, everything working like clockwork, politeness, etc etc, it all just sounds too good to be true.

Will definitely look out for Don Quixote and steer clear of certain sections :-) - thanks for the tip/warning!

Suzy
Old 14 Jul 17, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Ha ha - brilliant . We are staying for 5 nights at one of the Disney partner hotels in Tokyo Bay first then moving to Shinjuku where we are staying at hotel Gracery which is the one with the dinosaur coming out of the top near the Robot Restaurant - I believe it is in the red light district but it is safe and not an issue :-).

You know the more I read about Japan the more I think I am going to love it. The lack of crime as you mention above is so brilliant and the organisation, cleanliness, everything working like clockwork, politeness, etc etc, it all just sounds too good to be true.

Will definitely look out for Don Quixote and steer clear of certain sections :-) - thanks for the tip/warning!

Suzy
All I know is when i got back it took me about 7 weeks to adjust to how bad a country I live in !

People are rude, disgusting and inconsiderate and public transport is a joke
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
All I know is when i got back it took me about 7 weeks to adjust to how bad a country I live in !

People are rude, disgusting and inconsiderate and public transport is a joke
Yes I have a feeling I will take some re-adjusting when we get back too. I'm also concerned that The Tokyo Disney Parks are going to spoil WDW a bit for me too... I love the ideas of not watching parades/fireworks through other people's devices, no kids on shoulders, sitting down for parades, no queue jumping etc etc. All the theming in the parks, merchandise and food look totally amazing too.

May be I'll just stay there and not come back. :-)

Suzy
Old 15 Jul 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
hawki
Imagineer

Have a fab time, I'm sure you will! I cant wait to go, but planning for 2019. In the meantime I'm watching vlogs of the parks, & already think they will be my favourite!
Port Orleans Riverside - 2011,2012, 2014,2015,2016,2017 RPR 2015,2016,Grand California,POR & HRH 2017 DLP Newport Bay 2018 Sequoia Lodge 2019 Grand California,HRH CSR 2019
hawki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I have a feeling I will take some re-adjusting when we get back too. I'm also concerned that The Tokyo Disney Parks are going to spoil WDW a bit for me too... I love the ideas of not watching parades/fireworks through other people's devices, no kids on shoulders, sitting down for parades, no queue jumping etc etc. All the theming in the parks, merchandise and food look totally amazing too.

May be I'll just stay there and not come back. :-)

Suzy

Hopefully a trip report when you get back!👍
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List