Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Aug 17, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

My trip report (link below) shows how we did this, where we stayed, and what we visited in Tokyo, including a Disney section. If you have the time to read it, it may be helpful!

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1025032

Have a great time!
Old 21 Aug 17, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by CoasterRyder View Post
1) Who have you flown with? We have to travel during peak summer holidays due to work. What costs have people paid for flights at this time.
2)What will the weather be like? (From what I've read so far, it looks like it is going to be humid and wet.)
3)Best area to stay - to access the parks but within a budget. (Probably not going to be able to afford to stay at the Disney hotels.)
4) Other things to see? (Travelling with wife, son aged 13 and son aged 9 - eldest son loves cars/karting and youngest Pokemon - I've read about the Pokemon store - so I'm sure we will be paying a visit there!)
5) How much do things cost compared to UK?
Hi - we have just returned from a 3 week trip to Japan and Hong Kong - we had a brilliant time, I thoroughly recommend it. To answer your questions from our perspective:

1 - we flew with Cathay Pacific and they were great, no problems at all. We went in peak summer hols, I booked when the flights first came out. They cost just over £900 each for the following schedule:
Manchester to Tokyo via Hong Kong (stayed about 2 weeks in Japan)
Osaka to Hong Kong (stayed 5 days in HK)
Hong Kong to Manchester.

2 - We were there August, it is hot and humid and does rain, we also got a couple of cooler days when we were doing Disney but not sure if they were typical. Our one day in Universal was unbearably hot and the queues were ridiculously long, so we didn't get that much done. The sun could be brutal at times (a bit like Florida in Aug) but also we had a lot of cloud which made it less hot, but it was very humid.

3 - In Tokyo we stayed in one of the Disney Partner hotels on the monorail loop (Okura Tokyo Bay) for 5 nights whilst doing Disney, we then moved to a hotel in Shinjuku for 4 nights for exploring the rest of Tokyo. We then got a bullet train to Hiroshima, did one night there then the bullet train back to Osaka and did Osaka, Kyoto and universal whilst there before flying from Osaka to Hong Kong.

4 - I am sure you can find lots of thing to see and do - Tokyo is huge. There are loads of massive department stores, loads of electronics shops, arcades etc. Also just exploring the culture and doing things like the Shibuya Crossing are fab. We went to see the Asimo robot in the Honda showroom - which is a short but free show and that was really good too.

5 - It is quite an expensive holiday, we found the hotels quite expensive, but you can do things on the cheap - some things are free and you can eat quite cheaply if you are ok with not going to posh restaurants etc. They have lots of cheap street food and their fast food is a lot better quality than ours.

Hope that helps.

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Robblps1
I want to go now!

Unless you are going just for Disney, I'd just stay in central Tokyo, and get the train to Disney.

Japan is mega too,I'm booking flights this weekend for next July. It's gonna be boiling but we've been 3 times before so know what to expect
Robblps1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
CoasterRyder
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by Robblps1 View Post
Unless you are going just for Disney, I'd just stay in central Tokyo, and get the train to Disney.

Japan is mega too,I'm booking flights this weekend for next July. It's gonna be boiling but we've been 3 times before so know what to expect
When you've booked, I would be interested to know who you've booked with. I've found some decent prices already but with airlines I'm not familiar with so I'm reluctant to book.
Holiday Inn International Drive 2000
Bellaview Biltmore Clearwater 2000
CoasterRyder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Robblps1
I want to go now!

I honestly don't care about airlines. I go with whoever is the cheapest. 11 hours drags no matter what airline. I have my iPad so it ain't too bad lol
Robblps1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

SORRY ! I've read this through and apologise for the length and it sounding like a guide book !

I went a few years ago although I didn't visit Disney so this might be of limited use !

Flight - BA and it was fine. Security and immigration at Tokyo airport on arrival took over two hours as several international flights had landed in a short time.

Hotel: Metropolitan Plaza in Tokyo. Very handy for public transport, eating places and shopping but as I didn't visit Disney I don't know how convenient the hotel is. I was on an organised tour so don't know how much it cost but their website had room rates.

Places to visit: the WW2 memorial and museum in Hiroshima which was very emotional. You can see the only building left standing after the bomb. Kyoto is an interesting mix of modern and traditional. A ride on the Bullet train (Shinkansen) is worth it.

We visited several Bhuddist and Shinto temples and pagodas but they might not interest your boys.
They would enjoy the games arcades. There's a particular game called Pachinko but it's a pinball game definitely not high tec. But oh my goodness an arcade filled with them is soooo noisy !

Food: we had breakfast in the hotels, a mix of Western (usual buffet, fruit, yoghurt etc) plus a separate Japanese buffet (pickled veg, noodles, fish soup etc &#128561. We were on a road tour and ate at road service stations - such a novelty to get a noodle dish from a vending machine !

Evenings in the larger cities (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima) we went to western chains, mainly Denny's or Outback !

For lunch in smaller towns & villages we went to tiny cafes most of them in what looked like people's front rooms ! Simple traditional meals. Also you should try a Japanese speciality Okonomyaki a sort of savoury pancake cooked on a hot plate with all sorts added in. Lovely with a beer. I didn't think prices were extortionate, we had many ice creams without worrying about the cost.

Went in May and it was too warm for me.

Language - although some people speak a bit of English (youngsters more so) and school children love to practice with you, it's really worth learning a few Japanese words such as hello, goodbye, please and thank you. They really appreciate it and give a little bow.

One useless piece of info : they drive on the same side of the road as we do.

Edited at 08:13 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
CoasterRyder
Looking for my Ears

Thanks Ericsmum for your reply. We are wanting to see some of the sights, not just Disney, so your post was very useful. Dennys? Outback? I would never have imagined that they would have those chains there! Don't suppose you happened to see an IHOP did you? ;-)
Holiday Inn International Drive 2000
Bellaview Biltmore Clearwater 2000
CoasterRyder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Lol, there was a Dennys right beside our hotel in Shinjuku and a Starbucks next to that.
Old 25 Aug 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Robblps
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by CoasterRyder View Post
When you've booked, I would be interested to know who you've booked with. I've found some decent prices already but with airlines I'm not familiar with so I'm reluctant to book.
Quite shocked today, found a non stop return flight. From London Heathrow to Narita, for 536GBP.

The flight is with the Russian Aeroflot Airlines.

I'm happy with that though, 11 hours flying is 11 hours flying, Im not fussy who I fly with. The cheaper the better
Robblps is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List