Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 09, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
Wow, it certainly sounds great for non-drivers! Were you happy with the hotel? Do you remember how much the taxi cost to the zoo and Balboa Park? Thanks
I have my trusty notebook to hand $18 inc tip on the way there, $15 inc tip to come back.
We liked the hotel, think it was my favourite out of the 4 we stayed in. They do a courtesy bus from the airport to the hotel - handy for non drivers. We had a very large sitting area- dining table seated 6/8 I think !,and a sink , coffee maker and mini fridge, then bathroom with a 3rd sink outside, large bedroom . I think ours was a standard size suite, they do bigger ones. Oh, and of course they do a complimentary breakfast ( essential requirement for me ) good selection of hot and cold, plus snacks and drinks in the evening.
They had a pool as well - but it was indoors and accessed off the lobby- bit strange but it didn't bother us, we made good use of it.

Forgot to add, if you want to do Anaheim as well, then Amtrack goes several times a day ( Pacific Surfliner ) between San Diego and Anaheim ( and L.A ) ( taxi to train station from hotel $6 inc tip ) Amtrack tickets for the 4 of us $72.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report

Edited at 10:27 PM.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm going to enjoy reading about you planning this trip!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 09, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi

Not sure if it's feasible for you but we loved Napa Valley (balloon ride, vineyards, the best burger joint in the US etc).
Also one of the highlights of our trip was Safari West in Santa Rosa - especially if you love animals. We had a fabulous safari and spent the night in a luxurious tent (with shower, ensuite loo, deck etc).

Have a great time
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 09, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
I have my trusty notebook to hand $18 inc tip on the way there, $15 inc tip to come back.
We liked the hotel, think it was my favourite out of the 4 we stayed in. They do a courtesy bus from the airport to the hotel - handy for non drivers. We had a very large sitting area- dining table seated 6/8 I think !,and a sink , coffee maker and mini fridge, then bathroom with a 3rd sink outside, large bedroom . I think ours was a standard size suite, they do bigger ones. Oh, and of course they do a complimentary breakfast ( essential requirement for me ) good selection of hot and cold, plus snacks and drinks in the evening.
They had a pool as well - but it was indoors and accessed off the lobby- bit strange but it didn't bother us, we made good use of it.

Forgot to add, if you want to do Anaheim as well, then Amtrack goes several times a day ( Pacific Surfliner ) between San Diego and Anaheim ( and L.A ) ( taxi to train station from hotel $6 inc tip ) Amtrack tickets for the 4 of us $72.
Oooh someone else with a notebook, lol, glad it's not just me! Thanks so much, that hotel sounds a really good location for non-drivers and the taxi fares a brill. Brekky too, that's great as the food always really cuts into our budget.

I hadn't even thought of taking the train, yes we will be going to Anaheim after San Diego. Do you happen to know whereabouts the train station is in Anaheim, ie how far away from disneyland? Thanks

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 09, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I'm going to enjoy reading about you planning this trip!
Well it's all plans at the moment, lol, but I'll be doing my best to find funds don't you worry!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 09, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi

Not sure if it's feasible for you but we loved Napa Valley (balloon ride, vineyards, the best burger joint in the US etc).
Also one of the highlights of our trip was Safari West in Santa Rosa - especially if you love animals. We had a fabulous safari and spent the night in a luxurious tent (with shower, ensuite loo, deck etc).

Have a great time
I think we're going to stay in Southern California this trip, but thanks for the idea, we just don't want to spread ourselves too thin, as our last trip went in a blur we moved places that many times.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Old 9 May 09, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I think we're going to stay in Southern California this trip, but thanks for the idea, we just don't want to spread ourselves too thin, as our last trip went in a blur we moved places that many times.

What would be your ideal Mazzy? For example, three stops of five nights each, four stops of three nights etc etc?

We kept moving about at Easter and it was great to do & see so much but I did feel we "lost" a little holiday time in travelling and packing / unpacking time. I've never thought that before when we've done it though.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 09, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
What would be your ideal Mazzy? For example, three stops of five nights each, four stops of three nights etc etc?

We kept moving about at Easter and it was great to do & see so much but I did feel we "lost" a little holiday time in travelling and packing / unpacking time. I've never thought that before when we've done it though.
My ideal would be to go for 3 weeks, with around 5 nights at each place (including Monterey)! Not sure we could stretch to that though!

I really want to fit Monterey in, as I loved the place but we only scratched the surface last time, as Sam did a horseride which took up half a day. I have got to go back and see the sea otters but it's a bit out of the way if we want to do San Diego as well.

So ideally we would fly into LA, spend 3 nights in Hollywood at the Renaissance where we stayed before, they have a rooftop pool to relax and are also smack bang in the middle of the Walk of Fame etc, then fly down to San Diego for 6 nights (would like to stay in a hotel on a beach) then 5 nights in Anaheim, for Disneyland and the beaches.

So that's 14 nights in all, without fitting Monterey in. DS will finish school end of June next year, so we could go early July, San Diego has a country fair over 4 weeks in June/July, and they have fireworks on July 4th, so it would be a fab place to be.

Are you planning another trip?

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Old 9 May 09, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Oooh someone else with a notebook, lol, glad it's not just me! Thanks so much, that hotel sounds a really good location for non-drivers and the taxi fares a brill. Brekky too, that's great as the food always really cuts into our budget.

I hadn't even thought of taking the train, yes we will be going to Anaheim after San Diego. Do you happen to know whereabouts the train station is in Anaheim, ie how far away from disneyland? Thanks

Well, we missed our stop so didn't get off at Anaheim, carried on to the next station taxi was $25inc tip from there to our hotel ( residence inn maingate) according to my notebook I'd allowed $10 for a taxi from Anaheim to hotel , I know it's not far. Have a look on trip advisors' Anaheim or San Diego forums, that's where I got all my answers from.
Have a look at the last week of my trippie , might give you some ideas.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 09, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
Well, we missed our stop so didn't get off at Anaheim, carried on to the next station taxi was $25inc tip from there to our hotel ( residence inn maingate) according to my notebook I'd allowed $10 for a taxi from Anaheim to hotel , I know it's not far. Have a look on trip advisors' Anaheim or San Diego forums, that's where I got all my answers from.
Have a look at the last week of my trippie , might give you some ideas.
I've just read your trippy, lol, omg, you've put me off using the train now!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Closed Thread