Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jul 09, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

I must agree with Essex Benjy - personally I'd rather have extra nights in San Fran and less time in Vegas!

When it comes to hotels and areas we've always stayed in Fishermans Wharf - twice in the Holiday Inn, once in the Wharf Inn and this year we've booked the Ramada - all of these are brilliant located imho.

I'd also back up the advice about the city pass. If you haven't been to San Fran it's hard to envisage just how steep the hills are. Running UP the hills would be very difficult but running DOWN would b impossible if not suicidal!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 09, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We did 4 nights in San Francisco and although we would have liked longer (it's an amazing city ) it was a good amount of time for a first trip to see the main sights. I know many would disagree but IMO 9 nights in Vegas is a bit long, but then again we found 4 nights too many and if we were spending time in that area again we'd go further afield to the Grand Canyon and other national parks.
Old 26 Jul 09, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
We stayed 4 nights, it was our first stop and with the jetlag I would have really liked a bit longer, as I was feeling yak the first couple of days, we did get quite a bit done, including Alcatraz and going over the bridge to Sausalito, but would have loved to stay another couple of days to fully appreciate it.

We too stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Fishermans Wharf, would recommend it as they have a buffet breakfast included in the price.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 09, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

I would recommend Union Square over the Wharf as everything is so much closer for shopping, eating etc.. However SF's public transport is excellent so no matter where you stay, you can get elsewhere quickly and cheaply. I have stayed in Westin St Francis and Villa Florence in Union Square - both nice and very central.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 09, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

another vote for union square, weve stayed at the westin st francis ,all the shops right in front of the hotel,as well as the cable car stopping right outside to take you to the wharf.
Old 26 Jul 09, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Id prefer to stay in the Union Square area than the Wharf, theres loads of shops and restaurants & the Wharf is easy to get to. I bought our Muni Passes at the information desk in the airport. It was $24 for a 7 day pass on all cable cars, buses & streetcars. We were only in SF for 4 nights but definetly got more than our moneys worth with these passes. Also at the airport, when you exit the luggage place you can go up one level & outside theres loads of shuttle buses waiting, they seemed to fill up really quick. Ours was $14 each & we were in our hotel in around 45 minutes.
Old 26 Jul 09, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
garethandlyn
Excited about Disney

We prefer Union Square to the Wharf and have stayed in Westin St Francis too. We loved being so central opposite the shopping centre and outside where Powell and Hyde Tram's turn around. We walked a few times to Fishermans Wharf, it was a lovely walk up and down the streets. Fab! Alcatraz is a great place to visit too, another vote for the seals at Pier 39 also.
Disneyland/Seaworld SD/Vegas - 95/97/98/09, Roosevelt NYC - Nov 99, Pensylvannia NYC - Dec 02, Florida Villa - Aug 01, Santa Fe DLP - Mar 05, Davy Crockett DLP - Oct 06 & Feb 07, Davenport Lakes Villa Feb 09, LA, SD, Palm Springs and Vegas Baby! May 2010. HRH & Marriott Grande Vista Feb 2012 LA,LV,SF,Yose,ML Aug 15
garethandlyn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 09, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bluesky30
Imagineer

Thanks for all the info I'll take a look at some of the hotels mentioned.

In reply to those who said 7-9 nights in vegas is too long ~ vegas is my favourite place in the world ~ we got married there and when we go back in 2011 it is for our 5th Anniversary ~ the main purpose of our trip ~ I could easily stay for 2 weeks and not get bored so for me staying for only 7 is a short time.

From doing quite a bit of reading this weekend I think we will be okay with 3 nights but might extend to 4 ~ will see how things pan out. I've got 2 years to sort this out so no rush.

The muni passes sound like a better idea for us than the city passes ~ I'll look into those too.

Thanks again ~ off to do more research.

P.s we are going to florida for 2 weeks in May 2011 aswell so hence the need to plan so far in advance ~ I need to know an idea of costs so I can save enough
bluesky30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 09, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post

We love the Queen Anne Hotel - a little ride on the bus to Van Ness Avenue but we loved the hotel. One of those wonderful San Francisco type buildings with the turret. Do the helicopter ride - they take you over and under the Golden gate bridge. And don't miss Alcatraz. If you like good humour have a night at "Beach Blanket Babylon". I ached with laughing.

Queen Anne Hotel:
queenanne/

They do a free buffet breakfast and sherry and biscuits in the afternoon. tea and coffee is available 24 hours a day. It's said to be haunted!

Beach Blanket Babylon:
beachblanketbabylon/

Have a meal on the 46th floor of the Hilton in their Cityscape restaurant. they used to do a Sunday lunch but no longer.

If you get the chance drive down to Half Moon Bay from S.F. It's about 30 minutes for a glorious beach and a town of white clapperboard churches and the cutest houses you have ever seen.

I'd think 4 days in Vegas would be more than enough.

Edited at 07:12 PM.
Old 27 Jul 09, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We stayed in San Fran for 4 nights. I thought we had seen most of it but upon our return, we hadn't really, there is so much more I would have liked to see. We went on the Fire Engine trip across Golden Gate that was great fun, if no alittle weird

Trying to get DH to take me back soon
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread