Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 23 May 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

We’ve had lots of holidays without the Disney parks TBH. We did them last year and we are going again this year but other than that I know we did 2 days 3 years ago, a fortnight 6 years ago and cannot remember before that when we went - definitely years!
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

I want to say a massive thank you for all the wonderful replies, You have all given me some real food for thought.

I have loved reading about all the different ways you do Florida, I now feel really excited to plan such a different type of holiday.

I feel I am now going to add in a car hire and go and visit further afield, I have done clear-water and Daytona.
But I have not done any of the state parks and they sound amazing

Once again thank you all for helping me putting some perspective on my forthcoming trip.

I am now so excited to start researching all that is out there. Can you believe 30 plus year and never done an airboat ride, I will deffo give this a shot.
Old 23 May 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I came back in April from a non Disney trip and we had an absolute blast! For the reasons you gave about staying on I Drive we did the same stayed I Drive so we could walk about. Did the Orlando eye group of tickets, the skeleton museum(suprisingly really good went for my DS but we all enjoyed it) and just walked about. We also used Lyft (which was great) and tbh if you are staying local I wouldn’t hire a car as by the time you factor carhire in Lyft is cheaper(depending on what you do). We always normally have a car but were ‘forced’ to use Lyft/Uber as at Easter carhire was really expensive and dropped on Easter Mon. I was reluctant but so glad it happened as not sure I would have tried a no car holiday. We then picked a car up for our last week and went to the beach, St Augustine (amazing) and for our final 2 nights rented DVC for 2 nights in Copper Creek. We just enjoyed the hotel and relaxed. One of my favourite holidays
Old 23 May 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BirdsluvDisney View Post
I want to say a massive thank you for all the wonderful replies, You have all given me some real food for thought.

I have loved reading about all the different ways you do Florida, I now feel really excited to plan such a different type of holiday.

I feel I am now going to add in a car hire and go and visit further afield, I have done clear-water and Daytona.

Once again thank you all for helping me putting some perspective on my forthcoming trip.

I am now so excited to start researching all that is out there. Can you believe 30 plus year and never done an airboat ride, I will deffo give this a shot.
Have a look at Destin, Crab Island, Henderson State Park, Pensacola and along that way (Tripadvisor '10 things to do in') It may be a fair way away, but it is also totally different.

Nearer to Orlando..
De Soto
Casperson Beach
Delmor Wiggins State Park.
Rainbow river

A whole 'new world' awaits!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by BirdsluvDisney View Post

So Glad its been a help and i truly thank you as i have shown this thread to my wife as proof I am not the only "WEIRDO" who is doe with Disney.

Its Been a great thread.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Good for you there lots more out there then just Disney hope you have a brilliant time.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

As we don’t go as often as others we wouldn’t not go to Orlando without visiting DisneyWorld. When the kids have all growth up I would love to do a fly drive holiday around Florida. If Universal tickets wasn’t so expensive now would do both.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Which hotel have you booked ? Would you want to have pool days, spend time in their restaurants and bars ?

I travel solo and probably spend more time at the hotel than families would, so I like a ‘good’ hotel such as Rosen Plaza or Rosen Center.

I usually just buy a one day ticket for my Epcot fix. I spend a couple of afternoons or evenings at Disney Springs.
I'm travelling solo for the first time this year and opted to stay at Rosen Plaza, guess that's a good choice and like you the only park I want to go to is Epcot...looking forward to the freedom 😊
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

OP, unless there is a specific reason the only change I would make is to get a car and go a bit further afield..some great places within 60/90 minutes drive.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We do Orlando every year and haven't "done" Disney in over 10 years. (Tiny caveat - we are Universal AP holders).

There are a number of ways to get a cheap "Disney Fix"

- Head to the Hotels for a meal, we love going to Beaches and Cream and wandering around the Boardwalk.

- Having a round of Adventure Golf. The Winter Summerland course is ideal for pairing up with a meal at Disney Springs.

- We love wandering around Disney Springs, The Christmas Shop is a must and we love watching the Cast Members at Goofy's.

You'll have a brilliant time whatever you choose to do

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List