Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 23 May 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
disneyfangirl01
Getting Excited

Depends how much you enjoy universal and Busch Gardens etc... Me and my Mum did 10 nights in Rosen Inn International (on I Drive and the corner od Sandlake? I think!) just universal and sea world - We didn't even do DC and we had a blast!

For your Disney fix, easy hit up the character warehouse for some great cheaper Disney merch to take home and spend an evening or two in Disney Springs!

Me and the OH are going next year and doing everything as he has never been but I can for sure see non Disney trips in our future especially how tickets and onsite prices are getting!
disneyfangirl01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by BirdsluvDisney View Post
I have been visiting Orlando and Disney for 30 plus years. We have always stayed on site or in a villa, But every stay has involved most days in Disney parks.

I love everything Disney but over the years seen it change so much, Or am I just starting to lose the magic ?

So we started of years back going with the children, They flew the nest so Hubby and myself went alone (really really enjoyed it) great for adults only Then the grandchildren came along and the past couple of years we have gone with our grown up children and grandchildren and stayed between villas and on site, Last year I seemed to enjoy staying away from the parks and didnt visit so often. Some days I stayed in the villa while the family went of to the park.

So for next year just myself and Hubby I have booked a total different holiday, I have booked to stay on International Drive,We are not having a car. I have booked tickets for 3 park Universal, Sea world, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Discovery Cove. and will then be doing stuff like Ripley's believe it or not. Wonderwork. Plus just enjoy the freedom of walking around the shops, Restaurants, Stopping for a drink when wanted.

In all my 30 years I have never done it this way and NEVER missed out Disney.
I am starting to think I have made a big mistake and thinking of cancelling it all and restarting with a stay for 2 week on a Disney resort, we love POFQ.

Please lovely DIBBERS has anyone e;se done this, How did you cope without a Disney fix.

I would love to hear about stays on International Drive, Does anyone have any good trip report I can read.

Sorry for long post I think I just need some reassurance.
I'm so glad i've seen this and it is not only me who feels this way. I have done Disney on every trip i have ever done. I have also done it in nearly every state of life as a child my self, as an adult child free, with a young child and both large groups and just me and my wife.

I to have noticed the difference and change also. I'm not sure if its Disney which has changed or myself. But the last two times i have found it a huge chore to visit.

But my wife she absolutely loves it and is adamant that any trip to Florida must include Disney. This time i am trying my very best to convince her that we can go to other places such as Universal or Busch which we have not visited in a long time.

I personally just cant bring my self to visit Disney again even being a huge star wars fan is not enough to entice me. When we speak to any body about our trips to Florida and they ask why we continue to go back for me its the food and driving these are the things i enjoy the most. I love finding smaller independent restaurants and just taking my time. I really enjoy lakefront park and i'm adamant my little one enjoys a park just as much as any Disney park.

@ BirdsluvDisney if you manage to pull this off an avoid Disney i will be very jealous as at the moment its 50/50 if i can convince my wife for our April trip. I just think Disney has become to overcrowded and all of the ability to spontaneous has been removed. Everybody just seems to be rushing from ride to ride. They also seem to be targeting the wallet more than ever.

I think Florida has so much more to offer, Clearwater is amazing and i love visiting and just taking it easy.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
rfckaty
Getting Excited

rfckaty's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would say explore more of Florida, there is so much to see in the state other than just the theme parks. There is plenty of nice little towns and pretty beaches, its also nice to see how Americans live and go outwith the tourist areas.

I would take in Busch Gardens as you said you haven't done it in a while, we are massive thrill seekers and love going there more than once on our trips. Universal is also great, the theming is great and they have some amazing rides.

I have done a lot of travelling around the US and its great to take a break from the parks and just relax and explore.

Rangers Then, Rangers Now, Rangers Forever WATP

R.I.P Leah Wilby ~ GBNF
rfckaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
daisydoo
Apprentice Imagineer

We have been to Florida (only) 4 times up to now and for the last two, we didn't do Disney (well, apart from a sneaky day at Epcot).

We found that we didn't miss it and spent more time doing other things we had never got round to doing.

We stayed on I-Drive, didn't have a car but still went to Kennedy Space Centre which we loved, Busch Gardens (which we loved - apart from the complete drenching whilst sat on the train ) & Clearwater Beach to name a few.

I think if you go every year (or on a very regular basis), and do the same things, it is sometimes nice to have a change and do things a bit differently.

Having said all of the above, we are planning on going back in 2021 but we will be doing Disney this time as my sister and my daughters friend will be with us who have never been before.

I am sure you will have an amazing time without Disney and experience things you have not done before.

Whatever you do, have an amazing time.

Daisydoo
daisydoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Having just come back any future trips will be Disney free , I'm no longer enamoured with it. There's a lot to see in Florida
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by w513mfs View Post
I'm so glad i've seen this and it is not only me who feels this way. I have done Disney on every trip i have ever done. I have also done it in nearly every state of life as a child my self, as an adult child free, with a young child and both large groups and just me and my wife.

I to have noticed the difference and change also. I'm not sure if its Disney which has changed or myself. But the last two times i have found it a huge chore to visit.

But my wife she absolutely loves it and is adamant that any trip to Florida must include Disney. This time i am trying my very best to convince her that we can go to other places such as Universal or Busch which we have not visited in a long time.

I personally just cant bring my self to visit Disney again even being a huge star wars fan is not enough to entice me. When we speak to any body about our trips to Florida and they ask why we continue to go back for me its the food and driving these are the things i enjoy the most. I love finding smaller independent restaurants and just taking my time. I really enjoy lakefront park and i'm adamant my little one enjoys a park just as much as any Disney park.

@ BirdsluvDisney if you manage to pull this off an avoid Disney i will be very jealous as at the moment its 50/50 if i can convince my wife for our April trip. I just think Disney has become to overcrowded and all of the ability to spontaneous has been removed. Everybody just seems to be rushing from ride to ride. They also seem to be targeting the wallet more than ever.

I think Florida has so much more to offer, Clearwater is amazing and i love visiting and just taking it easy.
Words out of my mouth. Exactly my feelings
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am awaiting my 9th Florida vacation and this is the 4th on the bounce without a Disney ticket.
When my children were younger and ride restricted, then for the first 5, we did Disney. They liked the rides but could not identify with the Mouse and co, whilst liking Winnie the Pooh, Star Wars etc. Waiting for the procession floats was an utter, total waste of time with my two.
As soon as they reached the magic 54 inches (Matt with lifters in his trainers), that was it.

Every year we discuss 3 tickets.
1. Disney 14 ultimate
2.Universal 14 with a premium hotel overnighter.
3. Discovery Cove ultimate non swim.

The conversation lasts no more than 5 minutes. It is unanimous and immediately for the DC tickets. And only my wife even considers Disney, but with the allure of Harry P being greater. Dc and Universal it is, then!

As time as passed, we have spread our wings further and further to the extent that we spend at most, 10 days in Orlando. I predict that this 10 will shrink yet further in coming years and that we will consider dropping back to a single franchise, padding it out with airboats, rainbow river, Kennedy Space Centre, Fantasy of flight (if it opens properly again) etc.

Orlando is simply a very small part of some amazing Florida attractions, from the Keys to the Panhandle to Daytona Beach. As soon as my boys are off and away, then I predict that Orlando may disappear altogether, such are the quality of attractions elsewhere in Florida, yet alone the States as a whole. Florida will always be in our thoughts though, just not necessarily Orlando.

As for Disneyworld.. it is unlikely that we will pass through it’s gates again. We have found too many other awesome things to do. Last year it was California and we spent one day in each of the Disney parks. We all agreed that these days were the two lower points of an otherwise incredible and rewarding vacation. It simply ain’t for us and my wallet feels so much better for it!

The only money that the Mouse will get this year will be spent at Disney Springs.. A ‘our Disney Vacation’ collage photo frame, A 2019 medium photo album and a 2019 Disney pin to stick on the Frame. Strange I know, but these items match the other 9 of each in my office!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:56 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Mobile

Every Florida trip has a Disney trip even if it's just a few days still love it. There have been quite a few "lows" on recent trip reports. Cant say I've ever had a "low" in all my trips, a few poor rounds of golf but thats not Walts fault! Hope you have a great trip if you visit or not.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Every Florida trip has a Disney trip even if it's just a few days still love it. There have been quite a few "lows" on recent trip reports. Cant say I've ever had a "low" in all my trips, a few poor rounds of golf but thats not Walts fault! Hope you have a great trip if you visit or not.
And that’s the important bit! There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to Disney.. Orlando... Florida or even the USA.

Again, whatever decision, it’s yours and I hope that you have a great trip.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I try to think of it as a Orlando rather than DIsney but over the years our time at DIsney each holiday has got shorter and shorter. Our last 2 trips have been "adults only" and the first we did no Disney and the second 3 days Disney but to be honest if it was just me and DH going on our own again we would give DIsney a miss and not regret it at all.

This year we are going with DD who will be 13 and Universal in particular Harry Potter is her top choice. We haven't finally decided what to do about DIsney and waiting to see how Star Wars impacts the parks overall nearer the time. If we do go it will be one day at AK and one day at MK as last time DD was there we only did MNSSHP. The rest of the days will be some of the ideas found on the beyond the parks threads eg Wild Florida, ICON, Winter Garden possibly Clearwater and then a few shopping days. DD and DH will go to KSC while I have a day chilling out at the Villa as not my idea of fun and will probably need a rest day by then !
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List