Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Nov 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
I even weigh outgoing toiletries that I always dump so I know how much extra allowance is in the packed cases as obviously I know the empty ones are just waiting for bargains / or can’t live withouts
TC were great although we only ever did premium, for extra allowance
Good thinking 😉
Yep Premium is a must for the luggage, I can't come back without emptying the Tommy Hilfiger shop 👍
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
POR34
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Pre clearance in Dublin is fabulous. We've done it many times and it saves so much time in Orlando. Even better is travelling business class as it gives access to the great lounge. Each time we've done pre clearance the lines have been small and we've been through in less than twenty minutes. We've used this facility when flying with Aer Lingus and also Delta to New York.
It'd be a great bonus if it came to Manchester.
POR34 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Damn. Really? Surely not everyone would be aware this was an option so not everyone would do it? Wouldn't you just get in a separate queue and if you hadn't been pre cleared you would get sent back into the correct queue? That system makes no sense and would make less money as not everyone would do it?
Why would anyone not want to do it? Just wondering as I can only see the plus side of such a thing. I would be interested to hear another viewpoint.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maznorm View Post
Why would anyone not want to do it? Just wondering as I can only see the plus side of such a thing. I would be interested to hear another viewpoint.
I was thinking that people may not of wanted it because of the extra cost involved but someone has said it is in built into the ticket price when you make your booking so you wouldn't have a choice.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Ooh! I love the sound of that! Fingers crossed. How much does it cost at Dublin at the moment and how long does it take?
Surprised you weren’t aware of how this works , it’s mentioned so often as a bonus for flying from Dublin. We use it most of the time and it’s great. When we arrive we just walk straight to garage pick car and go , no queues it’s great
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Surprised you weren’t aware of how this works , it’s mentioned so often as a bonus for flying from Dublin. We use it most of the time and it’s great. When we arrive we just walk straight to garage pick car and go , no queues it’s great
Nope, not heard of it before and never flown from Dublin. I do love the idea of just getting off the plane and getting on with my holiday!
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This is a great article- TC going under lost 165000 seats to Orlando alone from Man.

anna.aero/2020/11/12/aer...s-most-likely/
This for me is the important information. This summer was due to be the first without the Thomas Cook capacity, but obviously little virus particles put paid to that, so we still haven’t seen the true impact of that yet. Add to this that Virgin have also been forced to reduce capacity as well with the retirement of the 747’s. The available seats from Manchester has taken a couple of decent sized hits.

We always have looked at our direct and indirect options and whilst precelarance was undoubtedly a positive for ROI indirect options, the inconvenience of indirect versus the saving was an equation which until this year always saw us book direct.
We’ve booked via Dublin with AerLingus for 2021 as the price was so good, so will get to experience preclearance first hand hopefully. I’m just glad to be booked. I don’t think the numbers of people that decide to give 2021 a miss will reduce the demand to anywhere near the availability. Once vaccine rollout gets going and borders open, the demand will increase rapidly back towards the old normal. It might be a good time for a new carrier to open that route, (or virgin to increase capacity) but the virus/economic uncertainty will still be around. For 2022 season, with the virus properly in the rear view mirror, id expect to see a decent capacity increase and if ever there was a time to try and open new routes by a different carrier, that would be it.

Edited at 12:55 PM.
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

According to Irish independent, Aer Lingus have formally applied to base aircrafts in the North of England to service North America next year. It is expected Aer Lingus will seek to operate direct flights between Manchester and Chicago, NY , Orlando, Boston or Vegas

Edited at 12:10 AM.
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nazzer
Excited about Disney

I think it will just be another airline route. The facility of clearing US customs is something specific to Dublin. Shame as that would be amazing. At least it will give passengers another option.
Nazzer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nazzer View Post
I think it will just be another airline route. The facility of clearing US customs is something specific to Dublin. Shame as that would be amazing. At least it will give passengers another option.
I agree - it will just be a route. There has been talk of pre-clearance at LHR for years but nothing has happened (yet!).
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List