Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Nov 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
Thanks people - to answer the question in the first response, I was wondering if there are things I should ask for - like ‘extras’ they don’t necessarily tell you about. Is it worth going extra early to the airport to enjoy the lounge - Escape plus rather than a clubhouse at Manchester, right? How much food do you get - it looks a lot of different things but maybe small portions?
Is the bar self-service - it looks like it on the videos I’ve seen but it’s not obvious?

2 Serious questions:
1: can you get coffee /tea at any time during the flight? (I don’t want to be zonked on booze the whole flight and miss the experience, though I will definitely have a few drinkies!
I notice the snacks they serve with the drinks appear to be ‘posh’ crisps - I happen to love the little bags of pretzels you get in economy and I’m not a fan of crisps generally - will they think I’m bonkers asking for my pretzels?

Thanks Dibbers for sharing my excitement! I’ve had a silly grin on my face since we booked it 😂
You won’t need to ask for aspects of the service, they will want to provide their upper experience to you. I don’t think there are any particular tips you need, other than to enjoy it. For us the flight becomes part of the trip rather than something to be endured beforehand.

I usually fly BA and would only get to the airport particularly early if I am flying first and have access to the Concorde Room. Last year I flew with Virgin Upper and I thought the lounge was nicer than BA business lounge, although I wouldn’t arrive any earlier than my usual three hours. It is nice to be outside the hustle of the airport but it is just a room with seats providing mediocre quality food. If you want to have a treatment in the lounge, book it as soon as you arrive as they do get filled up.

I didn’t notice anything about portion size, in any case you can always ask for more food if you need it. Not sure which bar you are asking about, on plane or in lounge. I think in London the bar in the lounge was serviced. Nobody used the bar on the plane which was good as it is very close to a few seats (including mine).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You won’t need to ask for aspects of the service, they will want to provide their upper experience to you. I don’t think there are any particular tips you need, other than to enjoy it. For us the flight becomes part of the trip rather than something to be endured beforehand.

I usually fly BA and would only get to the airport particularly early if I am flying first and have access to the Concorde Room. Last year I flew with Virgin Upper and I thought the lounge was nicer than BA business lounge, although I wouldn’t arrive any earlier than my usual three hours. It is nice to be outside the hustle of the airport but it is just a room with seats providing mediocre quality food. If you want to have a treatment in the lounge, book it as soon as you arrive as they do get filled up.

I didn’t notice anything about portion size, in any case you can always ask for more food if you need it. Not sure which bar you are asking about, on plane or in lounge. I think in London the bar in the lounge was serviced. Nobody used the bar on the plane which was good as it is very close to a few seats (including mine).
I can only speak for BA as that is the only during Covid experience I have in the club lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5. Ordering of food and drinks was by app or a few people managed to get a hand delivered menu.

No buffet food available. All drinks ordered and service was good and delivered quickly.

Dont know about Virgin but it is not like it was for BA lounges
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy9137
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We loved the fact on the 747's we could dine together. I suppose that's not possible on the Airbus or Dreamliner?
Or is it?

Edit. Just checked and it seems you can.
You can on the A300 200 - they have 3 sets of "love seats" down the middle which me and my wife have gone for this time.

Edited at 11:24 AM.
Andy9137 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Andy9137 View Post

You can on the A300 200 - they have 3 sets of "love seats" down the middle which me and my wife have gone for this time.
Thats what we have picked for 2 of our return flights next year.

I was thinking more about the 747 ones where my Wife sat on the footstool and we shared the table facing each other.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I really want to try the new A330 but we're on the 300 not 200 so have the old configuration. First world problems
Old 24 Nov 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fraser301
Apprentice Imagineer

We are fortunate we have flown quite a few times in each case on the 747.

Firstly it is like booking a holiday something to look forward to .

We always fly from Manchester and the escape lounge is OK but I believe there are plans when they move back into T2 to have a clubhouse similar to the London ones.now

Service on the plane is first class and staff are very attentive and will always be on hand.Obviously plenty of space the food is very good and the drinks are plenty.

On arrival luggage is sometimes on another belt and also at MCO you are one of the first of (apart from premium downstairs however sure that will be different now) Would love to look forward to the next trip
fraser301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I don't like the food in upper as it's a bit posh for my liking. I like plain food. Having said that, the cakes I got for afternoon tea were very nice. The only reason I book upper is for my health. I've got lymphoedema in my legs/feet and being able to raise/stretch my legs out is great. If it wasn't for that I would happily go in economy.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

UC sounds fabulous, unfortunately I think I will always have to turn right on long haul, far too expensive for me, but I can dream. Like to go Club Europe if I can when travelling to Geneva for my ski trips, short flight I know, but just a little bit of luxury for a couple of hours.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Thats what we have picked for 2 of our return flights next year.

I was thinking more about the 747 ones where my Wife sat on the footstool and we shared the table facing each other.
When are you hoping to go Tom? We're booked for March. Yes, I know thats probably hilarious I like my fantasy world though
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andy9137 View Post

Where are the tables and the IFE for these seats at the front of the cabin?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List