Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
EU is all about the $. They will have a huge budget deficit when we have gone,(second largest net contributor) with Germany, France and to the lesser extent Italy funding the gravy train. Poland taking out €9bn a year. Belgium taking out a great big chunk unbelievably. Unless Scotland can show they'll be a net contributor, the only reason they'll let Scotland in will be to try and agitate matters to get England, Wales and NI back in.
The EU budget is 145 billion it actually reduced its budget in the last two years by more than the UKs net input. When the UK leaves it will just have to scale back the projects it supports to the detriment of those who benefit. Most of the money is used to promote trade and cross border relations.

To those that say that Scotland couldn’t be independent please can you point out the differences between Scotland and Norway, Malta, Ireland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia?

I’m willing to listen and be educated would it be great not to have to pay our share of the UK national debt. or to spend billions on a train to Birmingham from London or nuclear arms

Edited at 10:22 PM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
What I can't quite fathom is why so many Scottish Nationalists want to be part of the EU? I can fully understand and respect wanting to be Scottish independent, but then devolving to an ever increasing power hungry EU? That I can't get. Especially as Scotland will be a minor player, subject to bullying by the EU. If I were Scottish, and if I were I could be in the independence camp, I couldn't go with the joining the EU logic at all.
Perhaps because the majority of Scottish people are forward thinking outgoing people who love being part of Europe, as someone who wants to isolate themselves from Europe I can understand why you wouldn’t be able to understand.

Old 14 Sep 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

There is a lot of insulting patrionising claptrap posted here.

Don’t bother Minnie18 about shutting down an argument though as I won’t be reading or posting any more posts on here.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Perhaps because the majority of Scottish people are forward thinking outgoing people who love being part of Europe, as someone who wants to isolate themselves from Europe I can understand why you wouldn’t be able to understand.
Is that really true? or did the amount of none Scottish people who had a vote in the referendum sway the vote. Also not every Scottish person wants to stay in the EU... The vote was close...
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
The EU budget is 145 billion it actually reduced its budget in the last two years by more than the UKs net input. When the UK leaves it will just have to scale back the projects it supports to the detriment of those who benefit. Most of the money is used to promote trade and cross border relations.

To those that say that Scotland couldn’t be independent please can you point out the differences between Scotland and Norway, Malta, Ireland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia?

I’m willing to listen and be educated would it be great not to have to pay our share of the UK national debt. or to spend billions on a train to Birmingham from London or nuclear arms
Norway pays nothing to EU budget. Ironically in 1994 they held a referendum where 52% of people voted no to joining the EU. Unlike the UK, they actually implemented the will of the people, and it's not a member.
Malta takes more out than it pays in.
Ireland pays in pennies, virtually nil. Wait until the EU cracks down on the only English speaking country with a low tax regime...
The rest don't pay in anything.
The EU won't be interested in having Scotland in the EU unless it net contributes or agitates England, Wales and NI into re joining.
I don't know enough about the Scottish economy to know if it'll be a net contributor.
However, Scotland as an independent country with Norway as an example (and possibly Ireland)- yes, but it won't be able to fall back on EU cash, so as long as it can support itself, why not? As I say, I don't know if it can, I'd hope it could.
Has Sturgeon shown the economic case?

Edited at 10:41 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post

Don’t bother Minnie18 about shutting down an argument though as I won’t be reading or posting any more posts on here.
Hope your ok PP... I certainly in all honesty don't see any of what you mention, mearly adults putting across how/what they feel. I truly regard the freedom of opinion and speech and I hope my thread has gave just that.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post

Nah, sipping a decent malt whilst holding a convo re Ms Sturgeon wanting another referendum, and EU implications, isn't insulting, patronising claptrap.

How unfortunate you felt the need to make your objection by being insulting... good move to back out of the room on this occasion
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Lol Minnie, wish I could get another bottle of it, tried for years no luck 😢
Labboy, is THIS the malt you enjoyed? Looks a pricey malt

A Fl friend enjoys malts and mixes, he quite likes a sup of Monkey Shoulder
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Hope your ok PP... I certainly in all honesty don't see any of what you mention, mearly adults putting across how/what they feel. I truly regard the freedom of opinion and speech and I hope my thread has gave just that.
Can't please all the people all the time Min... now, how's that malt going down, and is independence going up? Based on what you've seen/read et al., since the last Scottish referendum do you have an opinion as to whether voters may shift from last time? More to leave or remain?
Old 14 Sep 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Wolfsburn from up Sutherland, very nice and mellow Minnie, also have an exclusive bottle of port sciabboh from a single barrel not available to the public at 55%
Talisker tonight for me. Please tell me that you’re not drinking a Port Sgioba, that’s an expensive nip. Never heard of the other one.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List