Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Sep 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
trepidatious
Getting to know the DIBB

Flight dilemma

Hi guys. I would really appreciate some advice. I found some really cheap flights with BA on Saturday morning, but unfortunately it involved moving our holiday by one day (12-26th August 2020, instead of 13-27th). We have booked Disney Caribbean Beach via ATD and I didn't think it would be that hard to move it by one day, so I paid £40 to hold the flights for 72 hours.

On speaking to ATD, moving the holiday is not possible but they have suggested that we could simply book a one night stay at Disney Springs or I Drive if we wanted to take advantage of the cheaper flights. The flights for 12-26th came out at £2,132 for 2ad, 1ya and 1c (before luggage and seat reservations). The 13th-27th were around £750 each and have increased quite a lot since.

So, my question is - what would you do? Are the flights cheap enough to change our plans for and book one night somewhere else? Where would you suggest? Also, what time could we check into CBR on the 13th? I am thinking that since we don't land at MCO until 6pm on the 12th, we are not missing out on much park time by staying somewhere that night and checking in asap the next day, but am I missing anything?

Also, I think I have paid just to reserve the base flight (Economy Basic). Am I able to upgrade to Economy Standard at the confirmation stage and is it worth it, or should I just add baggage on later?

I need to confirm the flights by tomorrow morning, so all advice gratefully received!
trepidatious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I would book a cheap hotel and fly earlier. You can book in and get your magic bands etc just wont be able to have your room, can leave your luggage with bell services
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I would go for the cheaper flights, we never do parks on our arrival day, you can check into CBR as early as you like and leave your luggage.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
trepidatious
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks ziggyzag - I didn't realise we could check in, leave our luggage and get our Magic bands before the room was ready, so that's really helpful. Think the kids might have got a bit stroppy if we were just hanging around all day waiting!
trepidatious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are doing exactly this - our flights were about 600 pounds cheaper if we flew on the Sunday rather than the Monday so we just rented some dvc points for the first night and are just going to have a lazy evening at the resort and pool then head over to AKL early the following day and have our luggage sent over to us
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by trepidatious View Post
Thanks ziggyzag - I didn't realise we could check in, leave our luggage and get our Magic bands before the room was ready, so that's really helpful. Think the kids might have got a bit stroppy if we were just hanging around all day waiting!
I think it works out better, you can have a day in a park before getting your room!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
trepidatious
Getting to know the DIBB

I'm so glad I asked now, as I was about to let the flights go!

Does the flight price sound OK, given no luggage included? I thought it looked good, but I have zero actual experience (just lots of time spent reading these forums!)
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by trepidatious View Post
I'm so glad I asked now, as I was about to let the flights go!

Does the flight price sound OK, given no luggage included? I thought it looked good, but I have zero actual experience (just lots of time spent reading these forums!)
Not sure on the price I paid that for 3 adults and 1 child plus a car last August with BA

I'm currently looking at flights for next pay and when searching it seems to be about £5 cheaper to pay standard and getting bags straight away than light and adding bags later. If your child is under 11 I wouldn't pay to book seats never known BA to seprated kids and family they allocate your seats 5 days before flight x
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Slowwinger
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

But don't you lose a day at the end though that you've paid for?
Slowwinger is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We flew out a day early in 2017. We had booked a week onsite at Disney, a week offsite then a week at universal but as we were meant to fly on a Sunday and we are not at work on Saturday we flew out a day earlier and stayed at a cheap hotel for one night then got up early with jet lag and went straight to Saratoga springs to check in and leave luggage and straight to Animal kingdom! It worked well as the first night we usually just have a quick bite to eat and crash anyway.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List