Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Anyone bought a bed without trying it in the shop?

If someone has done this, how did it go? Did you like and keep the bed or just return it?

We need to buy a 4ft bed (divan) with mattress but cannot accord shop prices. Online prices seem much more affordable but it worries me that we cannot try them.

Edited at 03:52 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Interested in this as we are in exactly in the same boat. I know many online places like Emma offer a 100 day return, I am not sure whether this happens in reality.
I would much rather try it initially in the shop and they also normally offer a 40 day exchange.
Looking at King Koil at the minute, but they are expensive. The most expensive we have looked at. Isn't that always the way.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

would have said its more the mattress than the bed

either way would check the small print as to who pays to return a bed !
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

No but we bought a new mattress recently after trying it in a shop and still had to take advantage of the 60 day exchange guarantee. Is there anyway you can find the mattress on sale somewhere and check it out? Or take advantage of an interest free offer on one you can try in store?
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Jankz33
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We bought an Emma and it’s wonderful. Although I do believe you can try in some john lewis stores now...
Jankz33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We bought an Emma as well, but only on the basis there is a 100 night trial, so we could send it back if we didn't like it. We do like it though, after a rocky start, so its staying!
Old 18 Sep 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

If it's for your main bed I wouldn't risk it. We were bed shopping a few months ago and had endless adverts on Facebook for Simba, Emma, Otto mattresses etc etc. All with reviews claiming they were the most comfortable mattress in the world and all of them look the same. Eventually we did try a Simba in Dreams or somewhere and we didn't like it at all. So I'm glad we didn't bite!

For a guest bed its not so important so I'd go for one of those mattress in a box options as they are cheaper.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Just be aware of any of them that offer a "free trial" together with "free pillows" or similar. What they don't make clear is that if you decide to return the mattress, they will not accept a return on the pillows, and as you're no longer buying the mattress, the pillows are no longer free. So you will have to pay for the (extortionately priced) pillows.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
If it's for your main bed I wouldn't risk it. We were bed shopping a few months ago and had endless adverts on Facebook for Simba, Emma, Otto mattresses etc etc. All with reviews claiming they were the most comfortable mattress in the world and all of them look the same. Eventually we did try a Simba in Dreams or somewhere and we didn't like it at all. So I'm glad we didn't bite!

For a guest bed its not so important so I'd go for one of those mattress in a box options as they are cheaper.
What did you go for in the end?
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
What did you go for in the end?
Wish I could be more helpful but we ended up with the bed from my mum's spare room lol. We did have a couple of options we liked in bed shops but we were looking at £1k+ for anything we liked which we couldn't afford.

Probably didn't help that we lay on and fell in love with a £3.5k Tempur and after that nothing else matched up...

Oh I have heard that if you like the beds in Premier Inn you can buy those mattresses and they aren't extortionate so maybe we'd have done that
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List