Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Aug 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Despite us only being 40 miles from Southampton we tend to drive down the day before. Did train back before and it was a nightmare with suitcases on the train with hundreds of other cruisers in the same situation getting on at Southampton station. Never again.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Despite us only being 40 miles from Southampton we tend to drive down the day before. Did train back before and it was a nightmare with suitcases on the train with hundreds of other cruisers in the same situation getting on at Southampton station. Never again.
We aren't that far away , and will be staying the night before as we did on last mini cruise , but that because we and our friends like to start the holiday early! When we sailed from Southampton for the fjords we just drove down the same day
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

We are 2.5hrs away from Southampton and driving down on the morning, mainly because we have family staying with us and they can't afford a hotel for the night. We will be aiming to get there around 12-1 even though our boarding time isn't until 3.30 which should be a huge cushion for delays.

If it was just us we'd likely go down the night before and start the holiday early
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
We are 2.5hrs away from Southampton and driving down on the morning, mainly because we have family staying with us and they can't afford a hotel for the night. We will be aiming to get there around 12-1 even though our boarding time isn't until 3.30 which should be a huge cushion for delays.

If it was just us we'd likely go down the night before and start the holiday early
Thank you, I'm going to have a look this afternoon at where to stay, in between doing the garden, tip run and preparing Sunday dinner Mum's coming over later so hopefully I will have something to show her. I definitely think it is a good idea so no dashing about
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
We live near Sheffield so it's a long journey down for us but only downside is an extra day off work for me (I'm a courier so trying to find cover on Good Friday may not be an easy task ).
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lesley1960 View Post
We aren't that far away , and will be staying the night before as we did on last mini cruise , but that because we and our friends like to start the holiday early! When we sailed from Southampton for the fjords we just drove down the same day
I like the idea of an overnight stay more and more but another downside for an overnight stay is my dad is starting with dementia or alzheimer's (not that my mum will get him seen by a GP, but that's another story ) so he easily gets confused if in new surroundings (my mum tells me this ). So to go from a hotel and then onto the ship may not be a good thing, but I'll see what mum says later
Thank you x