Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Aug 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
This may or may not help. Last year my DD missed out on her place at Durham by a very small percentage - she got A*AA and they wanted A*A*A. She was devastated but it was Durham or bust so she rejected her insurance choice and decided to resit the Maths. School and a lot of other people thought she was mad - she had the grades to go to just about any other Physics course bar Oxbridge, Imperial & Manchester.

But she really wanted Durham and so she resat Maths, while also teaching herself AS Further Maths and today she got her place at Durham confirmed with A* Maths (100% in each paper) and A in Further Maths AS. I am so proud of her.

It was really difficult to get that news on results day last year and it would have been much easier to take her insurance and just go. It it wasn’t what she wanted to do and she knew she could get there. The gap year has done her the world of good and now H has achieved what she set out to do.

It is so hard to put all that work in and it not get you what you aimed for. It’s okay to try again and you grow so much from doing that. I really hope your DD gets what she wants - it will feel all the sweeter for having been hard earned.
Wow your dd must be over the moon. Massive congratulations and good luck (not that she'll need it!). It takes guts to stick to your guns and wait for what you deserve.
My dd has her heart set on this and she will do it. It's just a huge kick in the teeth when she always works so hard and circumstances have upskittled her again. Shes amazing and I am so proud of her xx
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you.
Those who didn’t get what they hoped - it’s not as bad as you feel & there’ll still be opportunities for you.
My DS got what he wanted & more & received a merit scholarship with £1000 award. He’s so laid back but I’m very proud.
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I often think a gap year is a massive benefit after A levels, it always seemed to me looking at the freshers that had done it coped far better being that year older (from the perspective of a mature student who was also a Mum of a son the same age).
It did shock me though how many parents sent their kids of to uni with no idea how to cook even the most basic meal. Anyone who could throw a basic shepherds pie or spag Bol together definitely had a head start socially
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well after all the heartache my dd has just been offered a place at Birmingham uni to do her paramedic science course! I am over the moon for her, I don't know why it has taken so long but just chuffed to bits xx
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sas View Post
Well after all the heartache my dd has just been offered a place at Birmingham uni to do her paramedic science course! I am over the moon for her, I don't know why it has taken so long but just chuffed to bits xx
That’s fabulous news, brilliant 😊.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sas View Post
What fabulous news! She must be thrilled!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List