Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Aug 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Connecting at Detroit

Our flight Times have changed and we now only have 2hrs 10 min to connect at Detroit instead of 3 hours.

Is this still going to be doable, we will be one of the first off the aircraft at Detroit as we’re flying Business Class?

Also I know we have to collect our bags and re check them in but will we have to go through security again to get to our next gate or will we still be airside?

Thanks
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

I had no problem in Detroit back in October 2017 and was through in 30 mins. You go through immigration collect your bags then follow the signs for connections where you drop your bags back onto a belt. I cant remember if we went through a security check but if we did it was nothing like it is if you go through main security. Hope this helps
Kirsty2tt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We also connected in Detroit in 2017... think we had about 2hrs 20 and that was plenty of time, the airport is very easy to navigate and we had enough time to get a quick bite to eat before boarding
We’re also connecting through Detroit again this year... only a fee days after you! Getting excited !

Edited at 09:27 AM.
jools1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Ash
Imagineer

I live in Michigan and have flown through or out/in Detroit a LOT it is by far one of the easiest airports to get around. There are basically 2 terminals connected by a tunnel. The bigger terminal has a monorail like train to take you from one end to the other with a stop in middle.

That said I was pulled for an additional agricultural inspection (returning home from England) it caused us to miss our connection and I to deal with an idiot INS officer at DTW when I initially emigrated to the US. Overall DTW is super easy to go through, I think the last time I flew in I was threw security and immigration in less than 45 mins.
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all for the reassurance that it should be okay time wise, hopefully flights will be on time.
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jfk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Did it last week with a 3 hour layover, no problems at all, outside the departure gate with 2 hours spare. It's the longest terminal I've ever been in, can't be far off 1/2 a mile!
New York/Villa Highgrove Aug 15
Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 19
jfk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jfk View Post
Did it last week with a 3 hour layover, no problems at all, outside the departure gate with 2 hours spare. It's the longest terminal I've ever been in, can't be far off 1/2 a mile!
Can you remember if you had to clear security again for the internal flight or if you were already airside once you came out of the arrivals for connecting flights?
Thanks
Old 20 Aug 19, 02:09 AM  
Link to this Post
jfk
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Yeah you need to go through security again, the full shoes off job. Only took 10 minutes though so not a problem. Detroit seems to be a delta hub, at least 70% of the planes leaving were theirs. Great airport actually.
New York/Villa Highgrove Aug 15
Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 19
jfk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List