Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jul 19, 04:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Sorry Amy - we are staying on Shelter Island

I'm sure you probably told me that at one time and I've forgotten.

Hi Amy, Really enjoyed Pismo but unfortunately didnt find the cinnamon rolls shop🙁 Thanks for offering to help with suggestions whilst we are in SD. We leave for SD tomorrow for 5 nights but will be heading to Santa Monica first as SM was so busy on Saturday we couldn't get anywhere near it, so after spending some time there then the journey down to SD, checking in and we have tickets for the Padres game tomorrow evening i think we have a fairly full day tomorrow. After that, any advice you can give to make best use of our time would be appreciated. We already have tickets for the zoo so will be going there and the trolley tour you've suggested sounds ideal to get our bearings around the city. What's the best and most economic way of using the trolley tour, travelling around the city etc? We have a car but im easy using Uber/Lyft if that works out easier? Other things of interest would be USS Midway (although think it might just be me for that), Top Gun bar, some time at the beach, possibly a fishing trip and jet skiing as per earlier messages. Some time around the pool would also be welcome I'm sure but not trips to Legoland, sea world etc as we are coming back to Disney and Universal for our theme park fix after we leave SD. Im sure they are lots of things ive missed so please feel ftee to recommend away. The wife and kids have already bought most of the Premium Outlets at Pismo so im not sure what else they could possibly need but they are still keen on doing more shopping at either Carlsbad or Las Americas, so which of those would you recommend?
Sorry for rambling but would appreciate any suggestions you might have🙂🙂

I'm sorry you never found the cinnamon roll shop in Pismo- what a bummer

For the Padres game tomorrow night, depending on when you arrive and check in at the hotel, you could go to the stadium (Petco Park) about two hours before game time and have some dinner there. I do that often when I go to games. I usually get some food at one of the concession stands before the game and then I have plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and find my seats without feeling rushed. Some of my favorite food stands inside Petco Park stadium are Phil's BBQ, Hodad's burgers, Pizza Port and Carnitas Snack Shack for carnitas tacos. Board and Brew has some good sandwiches and beers. A word of warning though- food, soda and beer prices are a bit steep at Petco Park like at most sporting venues. If you prefer to eat dinner outside the stadium, there are a lot of places within walking distance of Petco Park in the Gaslamp Quarter district. If your family likes seafood, I enjoy a place called The Tin Fish (it's across the street from the Hard Rock Hotel) tinfishgaslamp/. I also like Lolita's for Mexican food (downtown location): lolitasmexicanfood/locations/

You could do the Zoo on Tuesday, that will take a good part of the day to see properly. Make sure you use the narrated bus tour first thing after arriving, as it will give you a good idea of the layout and which areas you want to go back to explore in more detail. The zoo is very large and hilly- wear good walking shoes and use sunscreen.

Wednesday could be your more laid-back day- you will probably feel you need it after your day at the zoo lol It might be a good day to do the Old Town Trolley Tour. This tour can take up as much of the day as you want...either use the opportunity of it's many stops to hop off and explore some tourist sights and then catch a later trolley to continue the tour... or just stay on-board and you will be finished in about two hours. You could head back to your hotel for some pool time and relaxing afterwards.

Thursday could be the USS Midway museum (you need 2-3 hours at least to cover). After the Midway, this could be a good time to go back to the hotel to change and then go do the jet skiing.

Maybe Friday could be the fishing trip, if you decide to do that. Later you can check out the Top Gun bar location, which is downtown near the Gaslamp Quarter (and across the road from Seaport Village). The Top Gun bar is actually part of the Kansas City BBQ restaurant. kcbbq/ Be warned, it no longer looks exactly as it did in the movie as a fire some years back gutted part of the restaurant and the rebuild changed things a bit- but some of it still looks familiar and they have a ton of movie memorabilia displayed. To be honest, the food is just "ok"...there is better bbq elsewhere in town, but most people are there for the atmosphere and memorabilia.

If you decide not to do the fishing trip, you could use Friday to either do some of the outlet shopping you mentioned or get in some beach time. Both Las Americas and Carlsbad are mostly average when it comes to good outlet deals. They are both a little out of the way to get to, as well. Las Americas is next to the border of Mexico and about 30 minutes from downtown San Diego... Carlsbad is about 35-40 minutes north of SD. I personally prefer Carlsbad. Some of the areas around Las Americas can be a bit sketchy as you get closer to the border. If you go to one of them, wait till after breakfast to avoid the morning rush hour jam on the freeways. I would suggest leaving somewhere between 9-10 am- and definitely head back to SD before 3 pm, if possible to avoid the worst of the evening rush hour.

As far as getting around San Diego, a car is really the most convenient way to go. Going into downtown, you do have to pay for parking at most of the lots and garages and prices do vary around the city. Uber and Lyft are popular car services, but I drive everywhere and haven't used them myself, so I can't tell you for sure if it is cheaper to use them to go downtown than to drive and just park there yourself. Public transportation in San Diego is very limited in options, so having a car is really the best way to go.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941

Edited at 05:10 AM.
Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 05:37 AM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
I'm sure you probably told me that at one time and I've forgotten.

I'm sorry you never found the cinnamon roll shop in Pismo- what a bummer

For the Padres game tomorrow night, depending on when you arrive and check in at the hotel, you could go to the stadium (Petco Park) about two hours before game time and have some dinner there. I do that often when I go to games. I usually get some food at one of the concession stands before the game and then I have plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere and find my seats without feeling rushed. Some of my favorite food stands inside Petco Park stadium are Phil's BBQ, Hodad's burgers, Pizza Port and Carnitas Snack Shack for carnitas tacos. Board and Brew has some good sandwiches and beers. A word of warning though- food, soda and beer prices are a bit steep at Petco Park like at most sporting venues. If you prefer to eat dinner outside the stadium, there are a lot of places within walking distance of Petco Park in the Gaslamp Quarter district. If your family likes seafood, I enjoy a place called The Tin Fish (it's across the street from the Hard Rock Hotel) tinfishgaslamp/. I also like Lolita's for Mexican food (downtown location): lolitasmexicanfood/locations/

You could do the Zoo on Tuesday, that will take a good part of the day to see properly. Make sure you use the narrated bus tour first thing after arriving, as it will give you a good idea of the layout and which areas you want to go back to explore in more detail. The zoo is very large and hilly- wear good walking shoes and use sunscreen.

Wednesday could be your more laid-back day- you will probably feel you need it after your day at the zoo lol It might be a good day to do the Old Town Trolley Tour. This tour can take up as much of the day as you want...either use the opportunity of it's many stops to hop off and explore some tourist sights and then catch a later trolley to continue the tour... or just stay on-board and you will be finished in about two hours. You could head back to your hotel for some pool time and relaxing afterwards.

Thursday could be the USS Midway museum (you need 2-3 hours at least to cover). After the Midway, this could be a good time to go back to the hotel to change and then go do the jet skiing.

Maybe Friday could be the fishing trip, if you decide to do that. Later you can check out the Top Gun bar location, which is downtown near the Gaslamp Quarter (and across the road from Seaport Village). The Top Gun bar is actually part of the Kansas City BBQ restaurant. kcbbq/ Be warned, it no longer looks exactly as it did in the movie as a fire some years back gutted part of the restaurant and the rebuild changed things a bit- but some of it still looks familiar and they have a ton of movie memorabilia displayed. To be honest, the food is just "ok"...there is better bbq elsewhere in town, but most people are there for the atmosphere and memorabilia.

If you decide not to do the fishing trip, you could use Friday to either do some of the outlet shopping you mentioned or get in some beach time. Both Las Americas and Carlsbad are mostly average when it comes to good outlet deals. They are both a little out of the way to get to, as well. Las Americas is next to the border of Mexico and about 30 minutes from downtown San Diego... Carlsbad is about 35-40 minutes north of SD. I personally prefer Carlsbad. Some of the areas around Las Americas can be a bit sketchy as you get closer to the border. If you go to one of them, wait till after breakfast to avoid the morning rush hour jam on the freeways. I would suggest leaving somewhere between 9-10 am- and definitely head back to SD before 3 pm, if possible to avoid the worst of the evening rush hour.

As far as getting around San Diego, a car is really the most convenient way to go. Going into downtown, you do have to pay for parking at most of the lots and garages and prices do vary around the city. Uber and Lyft are popular car services, but I drive everywhere and haven't used them myself, so I can't tell you for sure if it is cheaper to use them to go downtown than to drive and just park there yourself. Public transportation in San Diego is very limited in options, so having a car is really the best way to go.
Thanks Amy, that's really helpful. I guess if time allows we could try and fit Carlsbad outlets into our trip down tomorrow but I really don't know if we will have enough time.
When going to Petco Park, is parking easy to find?
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Amy, that's really helpful. I guess if time allows we could try and fit Carlsbad outlets into our trip down tomorrow but I really don't know if we will have enough time.
When going to Petco Park, is parking easy to find?
There is a big parking garage next to the stadium, and all you have to do is cross the street. This is it: parkdowntownsd/garages/6th-k-parkade/ Finding a spot is easiest by getting there at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the game- the garage fills up quickly! It’s the closest to the park.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

There is a big parking garage next to the stadium, and all you have to do is cross the street. This is it: parkdowntownsd/garages/6th-k-parkade/ Finding a spot is easiest by getting there at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the game- the garage fills up quickly! It’s the closest to the park.
Thanks Amy
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Amy
You’re welcome! 😊 Have a safe drive down tomorrow.

Old 4 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

Aims, bit of a strange question, have you ever been to the scream zone event at Del Mar ? just seen it and looks sort of different
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kirkdalewdw View Post
Aims, bit of a strange question, have you ever been to the scream zone event at Del Mar ? just seen it and looks sort of different

No, I haven't done that one. I have friends who went a couple of years ago and they said it was ok but there was not a lot to it and Del Mar is a bit out of the way from San Diego. They didn't think it was worth the drive. If you are looking for scare attractions for Halloween time in San Diego, I can personally recommend the Haunted Hotel and the Haunted Trail in Balboa Park. They are in separate locations. The Haunted Hotel is in a new location this year so I can't give testimony on that, but both these scare attractions have been really well done in the past when I have gone. Here is a website that covers both of these haunts: hauntedhotel/

Old 4 Aug 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

No, I haven't done that one. I have friends who went a couple of years ago and they said it was ok but there was not a lot to it and Del Mar is a bit out of the way from San Diego. They didn't think it was worth the drive. If you are looking for scare attractions for Halloween time in San Diego, I can personally recommend the Haunted Hotel and the Haunted Trail in Balboa Park. They are in separate locations. The Haunted Hotel is in a new location this year so I can't give testimony on that, but both these scare attractions have been really well done in the past when I have gone. Here is a website that covers both of these haunts: hauntedhotel/
thank you, bookmarked to add to the list of things to consider in San Diego... now if only I can get time to speed up
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kirkdalewdw View Post
now if only I can get time to speed up
The waiting is always the worst part- next to the last day of a holiday!

Old 21 Aug 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Colusox
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Hi Aims, we are currently in San Diego and having a great time. I was wondering if there is any parking near the doughnut bar? Would just like to pop in and grab some before we go to the zoo tomorrow.
Thanks for all your great tips, they are coming in handy.
Colusox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List