Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 May 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshirelad
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Location - Alamo @ MCO
Category Booked - Luxury
Car Supplied - Premium Elite SUV (Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury)
Dates - 10/5 to 26/5

Choice in the Luxury line was poor this time and only offered a choice of 3 cars. Took the Merc initially as it was the best of the bunch:

But intermittent warnings on the dash and the engine management light being shown on day 2 meant I swapped it out at MCO for this:

I had to go back to MCO as the CCC has closed. Luxury line was even sparser than the day before with only 2 cars available, the XT5 I took and an Infinity QX50 which I didn’t want.

The XT5 was well specced with all the bells and whistles, cooled seats, panoramic roof, nav etc and had 5k on the clock.
Yorkshirelad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Stringaa
Excited about Disney

Location - Alamo at MCO
Category Booked - Premium SUV / Premium Elite SUV
Car Supplied - BMW X3 Premium Elite SUV
Dates - 05/05/19 - 25/05/19

Went to the hut in the garage and was offered the keys to a Cadillac XT5 which I didn’t fancy as was after a European car ideally. Lady said she should be able to get me an X3 so hung around for 5 minutes and she brought one round for me.

Really nice car and great to drive. Spacious, loads of features including wireless car play which was very useful. Only thing which was missing which I find useful in the USA was blind spot monitoring but got used to not having it.

Word of advice also, we had 2 large cases and 2 cabin cases, we couldn’t fit both large cases in the boot without putting the rear seats down, this is because it has a built in boot cover and where it’s fitted means it restricts how high things can go in the boot. Therefore don’t think it’s really suitable for more than 2 people unless you have small cases!

EDIT: Since found out the boot cover can actually be removed, I just wasn’t forceful enough!

Edited at 09:04 AM.
Stringaa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
gonzosuperfan
Trading Disney Pins

Dodge Charger 5.7ltr V8 HEMI

Location - Hertz at MCO
Category Booked - Standard Sport Group D2
Car Supplied - Dodge Charger 5.7ltr V8 HEMI
Dates - 14/05/19 - 28/05/19

Booked with Hertz expecting a Mustang, Challenger or Camaro. I was allocated a Camaro however the boot and back seat were very small so I asked whether they had another else. I requested something American, and cheekily something with a V8. The staff member came up trumps and offered me a Charger with the V8 HEMI. It had been around the block a little with 30,000 miles on the clock and a few marks on the bodywork but it drove brilliantly! WHAT AN ENGINE! I absolutely loved this car. The noise, the speed, the comfort. It was perfect! It averaged 12 MPG but when 'gas' is $2.50 a gallon who cares?! It had SiriusXM, leather, heated and cooled seats (a lifesaver! ) and a remote start feature which came in handy.

Sadly, on day 10, bad news:

A phone call to Hertz and I was sent back to MCO for a replacement. I was nervous as I didn't want to end up with something basic as my replacement. Thankfully, they came up trumps and found me another V8 Charger out back, this time in black:

This one also had 30,000 miles on it and to be honest just didn't drive as well as the previous one. It felt like to had been driven hard and not well looked after. The bodywork was pretty good though.

The 'trunk' was reasonably large, easily swallowing 2 large cases, a medium case and 4 rucksacks with space for more.

gonzosuperfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Car booked was standard SUV with Alamo via virgin holidays pickup at Orlando airport with full gold insurance.

Got to the airport and was through within 1 hour of landing, straight to the garage and was greeted with poor choice of standard suv. Mainly filled with rav 4 and Nissan couple of Hyundai sant fe. Asked for a Ford Explorer but was told it was the class above (wasn’t the case in 2017 but I have seen it changed recently) anyway when I asked for the cost to upgrade due to poor choice and the fact I enjoyed Explorer last time I was told by the staff at the hut it would be $50 per day 😮. So declined that and they wouldn’t budge on the price I was even saying I was part of a larger party which had 3 rentals and all will upgrade if the price is good. In the end I told them to find me a standard suv and they were just bringing round a GMC Arcadia. It was 6 seater as had captains chairs in the middle which was great for the kids. Full working sat nav remote start great for when coming out the parks end of the day (but again not as good as the Ford Explorer the remote didn’t seem to work as far as the Ford last time) not cooled seats on this one but plenty of room with rear seats down to fit 4 full size cases two hand luggage cases and two rucksacks all in the boot.
Other family members had a Dodge Journey which was a standard suv but didn’t feel as roomy as the Arcadia And definitely didn’t have as much toys like sat nav and Apple play remote Start. My brother in-law picked up a outlander which turned out to be a intermediate suv parked up in standard row. It was a 7 seater but you struggled to seat kids in the rear rows never mind adults again no extras and poor ventilation for all rear passengers on both journey and outlander.

martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Full size booked £659 21 days
Got the lovely suburban, full sat Nav.
Lovely
Orlando airport collect.
Alamo Brits
Full size booked

Edited at 04:17 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Avioman
A Guest at All-Stars

Place you picked the car up from:- Mia
Catergory of car hired:- full-size suv
Category of car you got:- lux suv
Hire car company used:Alamo airline/corporate

After a lot of haggling managed to drop the upgrade price from $1000 to $300 due to only Nissan armardas being available, bringing overall total to £1000 which was close to the overall price I had originally book back in march for our 21 nights.
It’s a fantastic drive very responsive and surefooted under throttle averaged 21mph from miami to Orlando

Edited at 12:49 PM. Reason: Adding more photos
Avioman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

Booked: Standard SUV
Make: Ford Explorer
Company: Alamo MCO

The standard SUV row was terrible, only a few intermediates. Complained after waiting ages to see what else was coming round. Eventually was given an Explorer 7 seater which was far too big for the two of us but was a really lovely car with loads of gadgets.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
colzo100
Excited about Disney

Location - Avis via BA @ MCO
Category Booked - Large - Group W - Ford Edge or similar
Car Supplied - Ford Flex
Dates - 31st May - 9th June
Cost - part of a fly drive and can't remember!

I had signed up for Avis preffered and went straight to the garage. The car was pre-allocated (although my name was not on the board) quick check of drivers licence and credit card and I was on my way too...the Ford Flex... I had hoped for a Ford Edge so went back to see if it could be changed. There were only 3 of us and this was a huge 7 seater. The chap at the desk said he had upgraded me but could change if I wanted. This car was loaded with extras, leather, working sat nav, apple car play, reversing camera, electric seats etc so stuck with it. Looked crap but inside was a great car to drive and very smooth and comfortable.

Edited at 09:46 AM. Reason: correction
colzo100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Oxfordbhoy
Getting to know the DIBB

Location - Avis @ FLL
Category Booked - premium suv
Car Supplied - GMC Yukon XL SLT
Dates - 29th July - 17th August
Cost £430 - amazing value.

A good car at exceptional price (thanks Rick T) , slightly disappointed not to receive a Navigator though. Drive it from FLL to Disney handled the journey well with 24MPG so all in all can’t complain

Car has lots of toys, including rear TVs, heated and cooling seats, fully loaded sat nav and wireless enabled. Got 13,300 on the clock

Edited at 11:18 AM.
Oxfordbhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
thehoggmeister
Trainee Dibber

Chevy Silverado Pickup - Awesome

Car booked - Full size pickup
Car received - Full size pickup
Company - Dollar Diamond via Autoeurope with 4 additional drivers and free tank of fuel
Price paid - £433 for 2 weeks and also received £36 Topcashback.

Always wanted to drive a pickup in America. Wasn't disappointed as it had a 5.3L V8. Android auto and Apple car play. Back seats flip up for luggage. We had builders bags to put suitcases in and flung them in the flatbed so they didn't get wet in the Florida thunderstorms.

There were only three of us and you there is three seats at the front if you want. If you have four people I would recommend getting a crew cab model as there is loads more room in the back.

Edited at 12:12 AM. Reason: Pictures
thehoggmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty