Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Aug 19, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
tory79
Excited about Disney

Mobile Wot, no Disney?! August 2019 Day 5

Different plan of attack this morning. We planned to head to IOA for opening instead of early entry at US. As per usual I was first awake at about 6:15 with the others following shortly after. Breakfast of cereal in our room and we were ready to leave by about 8:15. We got the boat over from Sapphire Falls and were at IOA by about 8:50. They let us though shortly afterwards and here we split up. I headed off towards Hulk and dh took the boys over to Seuss Landings. DS1 was moaning that he was too old for Seuss Landings and I realise that sadly that’s probably true.

Anyway... in the 15 years that I have been coming to Florida The Hulk has held firm as my favourite ride. But after going on Hagrid's I knew the crown had slipped. I went on Hulk twice and was done by about 9:20. It just confirmed what I thought. Yes it’s a great coaster but Hagrid beats it hands down as far as I’m concerned. That feels strange as I’ve been promoting hulk as the best ride for as long as I can remember.

Anyhoo... I walked round to meet the boys. They’d been on one fish two fish and then had gone to get cookies ((without me! ) We just pottered around Seuss landings for a bit. We did The Cat in the Hat twice at ds2 request, although I think DS1 was happy to get the air conditioning! Then I took ds2 in the caro-Seuss-el. Followed by persuading DS1 to have a final go on one fish two fish with me, as I think he’s right and we’re unlikely to spend too much time in this area in future.

My boy is growing up. Such a shame as I love Seuss Landings, especially when it’s decorated for Christmas!
We then got some snacks. DS1 wanted dipping dots. Dh just got a drink. I had a pretzel and cheese sauce (after some faffing with my Revolut card) and ds2 wanted a slushy but actually he doesn’t like them and had about 2 sips before it went in the bin. We were going to go to the water play area which we really like but it started to rain (and it was super duper hot and humid today) so we decided to just head out of the park instead.

We got the bus back to Cabana Bay. We had a little chill time in the room before having a sandwich lunch. Then we decided to head out to the pool for a bit. We spent an hour or so there before coming back to our room. Dh went down to the Avis stand in the lobby to sort out car hire - we’re hiring a car for the weekend to do all our shopping stops. I got the boys and myself showered and sorted.

We headed down the the lobby and called an Uber. Dinner tonight was at The Olive Garden on International Drive. I’ve been recommending this place to dh for years now after reading about it in various trip reports but we’ve never made it here so this was our first time. Well joy of joys the tables have iPad screens that ply plants vs zombies on them so the boys were ecstatic!

We ordered wine and starters to share - fried mozzarella and chicken Alfredo pizza fritters. Both were excellent. Even DS1 ate the fried mozzarella so it must have been good!

For mains I had shrimp scampi which was delicious. Dh had ‘taste of Italy’ which he enjoyed but preferred the starters. DS1 had cheese pizza and ds2 had chicken strips with spaghetti and broccoli. Everyone enjoyed the food.

We ordered pudding too. I had the warm apple Toscada which was lovely. Dh had the chocolate brownie lasagna which was nice but a bit of a letdown as it was most definitely layers of chocolate cake rather than chocolate brownie. The boys shared a black tie mousse cake which was devoured.

We really enjoyed it here. Mainly because the iPads meant that we had a meal in peace with the boys entertained. I’m usually dead against this but if you can’t all enjoy a meal on holiday when can you! The service was great, the food was yummy and the wine was good too! Definitely one to add to the list. In fact DS1 wants to come back tomorrow... I can’t imagine why!

We got an Uber back to the hotel and chucked the boys straight in to bed, and i am just about to turn in myself! Goodnight!
Old 11 Aug 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Really enjoying your reports! Is Hagrid's running all day now? I know you don't want to say how long you queued, do you think there is any advantage to trying to "rope drop" it or is that still not possible? My OH really wants to ride it, I would like to as well but don't want to do a really long wait.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Another great day, by the sounds of things..! Travelling to Florida since 1998 but have never made it to Olive Garden yet - maybe next year...! Do you mind me asking how much the Uber from Cabana Bay to Olive Garden was? We're looking at a very similar trip next October (hopefully) - Cabana Bay, no car, Universal only and we're trying to work out how much taxis will be..
DisDubs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tory79
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Really enjoying your reports! Is Hagrid's running all day now? I know you don't want to say how long you queued, do you think there is any advantage to trying to "rope drop" it or is that still not possible? My OH really wants to ride it, I would like to as well but don't want to do a really long wait.
Absolutely, I think if you want to rope drop it then you need to get to IOA gates for maybe about 8 or earlier to be at the front? We got there shortly before 9 and there was a massive queue although it cleared into the park quite quickly once it opened with most people heading to the right. I did see the queue drop to 150 minutes for a while, otherwise it has consistently just been 210 minutes. However I would say we queued for around 30m less than the time given. It seems to be open all day baring weather at the moment. I can’t fully express just how good this ride is. I really hope we manage to do it again before we go.
Thanks for reading!
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tory79
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisDubs View Post
Another great day, by the sounds of things..! Travelling to Florida since 1998 but have never made it to Olive Garden yet - maybe next year...! Do you mind me asking how much the Uber from Cabana Bay to Olive Garden was? We're looking at a very similar trip next October (hopefully) - Cabana Bay, no car, Universal only and we're trying to work out how much taxis will be..
We’ve found using Uber’s great so far, really convenient and definitely working out a lot cheaper than a car!
The Uber to Olive Garden was $8.59! I definitely recommend going there .
Thanks for reading!
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Nice dinner at Olive Garden.

Don’t worry too much about not spending time in the future in Suess Landings.
My ds is now 12 and still loves soaking us on 1 fish 2 fish and soaking ds at the wee fountain that squirts out water if you get the coon in the fishes mouth.