Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 19 Aug 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

KSC - day of a launch

We have pre booked tickets for KSC which now coincides with a launch ( fingers crossed). KSC doesn't open until 9am yet the launch is due then too. Do they open early - tho they are not advertising that fact-?
Where in KSC is the best place to stand to view or are we better staying in the car park?
The observation tickets are all sold out.
Thanks

Edited at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Myakka17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
fatboytez
Very Serious Dibber

Hi when we went to see the space shuttle take off you cannot get within 4 miles off the launch because of safety reasons we did get onto KSC but you are miles away but still have a great view.
fatboytez is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

The visitors centre is opening at 6am
kennedyspacecenter/l...a-gps-iii-sv02
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We went in August 2017 and it was fantastic - possibly a once in a lifetime experience for us Brits.

Get there early - there is a limit to how many they will transport to the viewing area. Just do it!

However, there are some opportunities to view the launch from a beach. More knowledgable Dibbers will have some suggestions I am sure!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
KSC doesn't open until 9am yet the launch is due then too. Do they open early - tho they are not advertising that fact-?
Where in KSC is the best place to stand to view or are we better staying in the car park?
Thanks
They ARE advertising the gates open early - at 6am, and the car park at 5.30am. The normal attractions don't open until 9am as usual.
You can see the launch if you look in the right direction at the appropriate time - provided there are no buildings or trees in the way.
There is a marginal advantage in the Saturn/Apollo Center as you can see the launch pad itself from there, although it is 8 miles away and you'll need to be there very early to get the bus (which will stop when that viewing area reaches capacity). The viewing area in the Visitor Complex is next to the Atlantis building - you can see the rocket once it clears the treeline, not the pad itself. If you stay in the car park then you won't hear the commentary which they put over the PA.
On an ordinary day I would normally recommend doing the Saturn/Apollo bus trip in the morning, but in this case as there will crowds there for the launch, I would do the bus trip later in the day once those crowds have dispersed.
If you have a KSC ticket, there is no point in going to an off-site location first - you'll just have less time to see KSC when you get there.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Thank you for your replies.
I agree once in a lifetime, I've seen a shuttle go but my family haven't and would love to see a launch. So the fact we booked these tickets months ago would be great if they remain in target for that day.
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

early morning sounds like a good launch window - we only had 6pm and a storm rolled in. I’d definitely get up early and go, the traffic won’t be too bad either. Then you’ve got the rest of the day to enjoy KSC.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
We went in August 2017 and it was fantastic - possibly a once in a lifetime experience for us Brits.

Get there early - there is a limit to how many they will transport to the viewing area. Just do it!

However, there are some opportunities to view the launch from a beach. More knowledgable Dibbers will have some suggestions I am sure!
Does anyone have more information of where to watch outside of the centre? We don’t have tickets, but given that you can see the shuttle launches from Miami I don’t feel the need to be 2 miles away and pay for both KSC entry and extra for a view when I believe you can get good views from 4 miles away for free... just not sure where from.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Pull up along the beech going towards kick, we did it years ago lots of locals were there too. Cars were tuned into a radio station that was broadcasting the launch and countdown, it was a fantastic atmosphere. You will find the best spots have cars parked on the crass verge.