Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

I wish I’d thought about Disney and Florida when I only had one child. It was never on my radar then and I missed the tiny child stage. You might have baby a week early (maybe a week late). You won’t know until the time. I’d prepare to go, but also have in mind it might not happen.
Before you know it you might have 2 or 3 kids and at todays prices think twice before booking.
You will know soon after birth if you and baby are well enough and how many weeks old baby is and can decide then.
I wish I’d taken my kids much younger to Disney but it was never a place I thought about until they were a little older. I wish I’d experienced Disney with a baby. Just make sure you have holiday insurance (something can happen at any age to a child or adult) and if all goes well, have a magical holiday that will most likely go in a blur
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I would check with my pediatrician (or medical provider) and make sure the child will be adequately immunized for the trip. There have been measles and pertussis outbreaks in the US and you don't want a baby exposed. If the pediatrician has no hesitation, then go. If he/she does delay.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I had this exact question when I found out I was pregnant in November for our trip in September (would have been in 2 weeks). Everyone advised cancelling (which at that time I could do without losing more than £50) so I did.

Now our little daughter is here and 3 and a half weeks old. I am very glad we are not flying on the 10th! I am still recovering from the ventouse birth & stitches and also getting used to our little person who flips quickly from angel baby to demon baby (especially at 4am!). I am still working out how to feed, the gear we need and her clothes. Plus it takes time to get her passport. I think it would have been doable but for a planner like me VERY stressful! As it is we’re looking forward to our rescheduled trip in March when she’ll be 7 months.

Hope this helps!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyFoodie View Post
I had this exact question when I found out I was pregnant in November for our trip in September (would have been in 2 weeks). Everyone advised cancelling (which at that time I could do without losing more than £50) so I did.

Now our little daughter is here and 3 and a half weeks old. I am very glad we are not flying on the 10th! I am still recovering from the ventouse birth & stitches and also getting used to our little person who flips quickly from angel baby to demon baby (especially at 4am!). I am still working out how to feed, the gear we need and her clothes. Plus it takes time to get her passport. I think it would have been doable but for a planner like me VERY stressful! As it is we’re looking forward to our rescheduled trip in March when she’ll be 7 months.

Hope this helps!
Ps also the first vaccinations are not until 8 weeks.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

I would never take a baby that age on a long haul flight - flights are breeding grounds for germs and tiny babies have very underdeveloped immune systems, and are very vulnerable. The very earliest I would fly anywhere would be following the 16wk immunisations.
We took DS to CenterParcs at 6mths, Majorca at 9mths and DLP at 18mths. He’ll be going to WDW next year at 34mths.
I know the US has very good medical facilities but having had a baby who had horrific Colic (screamed every single night from 5pm-midnight non stop until 4mths old!) reflux, was hospitalised and treated for Meningitis, and I had crippling PND, that would have completely finished me off. You really can’t underestimate how having a baby *can* turn your world upside down. I love taking him away now he’s bigger and has a robust immune system
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

The other thing is there are no vaxxers in the US who may not have an active infection but could be carrying measles, pertussis or any number of illnesses. Even if you child has been vaccinated, they are not completely immune but an unvacinnated baby carries a risk. Years ago when I was a social worker, we had a child come into the foster care system after getting measles encephalitis. It was a very sad situation.

While it would be nice to think we have no stupid people who choose not to immunize (sorry but it is my opinion that only stupid parents would put their child at risk) there are many parents who chose not to immunize. LIke lots of other people, they go to WDW, take flights, go to airports and outbreaks happen. My sister's grandson is 6 months old. When he was a newborn, they were careful not to take him out in public because the town next to her had a significant outbreak of measles.

Please protect you child.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Slightly irrelevant but please read up on guidelines about how long a baby should be in a carseat.
At ten weeks old they don't recommend much longer then thirty minutes and a maximum of two hours x
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List