Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you say you dont usually get that, but what actually is the problem? 90% of the time, its crap wifi thats the problem, not the actual broadband connection

i pay for 200mbps virgin, and pretty much every time i do a speed test, i get over and above what i pay for (last check was 212mbps)

when you say it drops out, that sounds like a wifi issue rather than a broadband one. are you using a pc that is using a wired connection to the modem/router? what happens when you run a speed test through that?

try running wifi analyzer is you have an android phone

play.google/store/apps/d...lyzer&hl=en_GB

it can help detect issues with interference and other networks in the area on the same channel. things like microwaves and other electrics can cause issues too, so next time you have dropouts, fire up wifi analyzer and make a note of any electrical devices in the house being used (like the kettle/microwave/etc)... you might find a pattern as to what is causing it. also, depending on what you have, a new superhub *might* help. but personally, i just use mine in modem only mode, with a separate (WRT32x/openWRT) router and a pair of tp-link AC1350 wifi access points covering the house.

personally, i'd see what deal they can do with upgraded broadband and ditching the tv/etc down to the minimum...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ryanlaur
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
From a supplier point of view, I would avoid TalkTalk, they are cheap and when it works it works. Have any issues and it is extremely painful and you will wish you had gone elsewhere.
Can second that opinion! Will be watching this thread with interest. We have been with TalkTalk (formerly Tiscali) for the past 13 years.

Just had to endure 41 days without any email access. Talktalk blocked my email account after they carried out routine maintenance on their website. Had the most torturous experience trying to get email back up and running! Never have I dealt with a company with such atrocious customer service!

Email access reinstated latter part of last week but still got a serious ongoing issue with TalkTalk.

Unfortunately, we are in contract to them till June 2020 so will be looking to move to another Internet provider. One that provides good customer service too!
ryanlaur is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Changed from Sky this summer to Virgin, nothing but problems, cannot wait until our year contract is up and we can go back to sky!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you are happy with Virgin don’t change just try everything you can to get a better deal - all suggestions given in this thread so far can work.
We were trouble free for about 5 years with Virgin but then an ongoing issue with the BB dropping out in the evenings - I had various excuses given but I honestly felt the area had too many Virgin users.
We then moved to Sky & for 4 years (pattern forming) we had good consistent BB with no issues, yes slower speeds than Virgin (~30MB vs ~100MB) but typical household with iPads, iPhones & a gamer - all good! Then around January this year we started getting poor phone reception, slow BB speeds, son complaining about his wired Ethernet running slow, Sky Q & Minis freezing.
The worst of it is 8 months later after numerous phone calls, messaging, waiting in for Sky & BT Engineers we are no nearer to having it sorted - at the moment we are in limbo as BT keep saying they have sorted the issue but then in the evening the same problems again (Sky seemed to have washed there hands of the issue blaming BT).
The last BT engineer having listened to all our problems suggested we go back to Virgin
Good luck with whatever you decide!

PS: for the record we live on a normal housing estate in a town & a house built late 70’s early 80’s.
Windsor Hills Villa - May 2012; Rolling Hills Villa - Easter 2014; High Grove DIBB Villa / RPR / Disney Dream - Easter 2015; Sunset Lakes DIBB Villa /HRH/ Disney Dream - August 2016; NYC / St Pete's Beach / DIBB Townhouse at Windsor hills - Easter 2018; Flights / Sunset Lakes Villa / Harmony of the Seas Cruise - Easter 2020 Didn’t happen!

Edited at 08:37 PM.
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

just binned virgin and its the best think i ever did. Just because a speed test says 100 mb that is not what you are getting most isp prioritise speed tests since changing from a 100mb virgin to a EE fttc the connection speed and service is so much better and i am saving over £30 a month the only way to properly test speed is a perf test. virgin have phoned me 3 times now asking why i have cancelled and why didn't i ask them first well i am sorry but if you dont give me the best deal without me asking every year for a better deal then you are overcharging me so bye
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gally1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Moved from Virgin to Sky as I was fed up with the poor customer service Virgin provided. Had a few teething problems with Sky which now appear to have been sorted but still nowhere near the levels Virgin reached.
However won’t be going back until their customer service improves.
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mudhut
Excited about Disney

I use plusnet for my broadband and was paying 14.49 per month, I was also paying BT nearly 20.00 per month for the landline rental which I very rarely used for calls, so I contacted plusnet about any deals if I changed to them for the landline as well and I am now paying 18.99 per month for my broadband and line rental ( no call package) so nice amount of money saved. Maybe worth checking their website 🙂
Mudhut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We 'suffered' BT for years and years, always saying we would move but never doing it because of the hassle changing our email address. 15 months ago fibre finally arrived in our village and we took the plunge and swopped over to Plusnet, changing our email to gmail. I pay the line rental annually, saving around £2.50 a month and pay £15 a month for a fibre connection and 'free' calls to landlines AND mobiles. The switch to fibre hasn't shown an amazing difference, possibly down to the Plusnet hub being identical to the old non fibre one I returned to BT, but it does seem more reliable. We'll see what happens when I come to the end of my 18 month contract but at least having changed to gmail I won't have all that hassle again if I decide to switch. It even encouraged me to look at my electricty supplier and I plucked up the courage to tell Eon what they could do with their bills and switched to Pure Planet. Again, so far so good.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Be aware that Plusnet is owned by BT. Not that it makes a difference but just so people know.

Used to be with Plusnet years ago until they started doing traffic shaping on their network.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Received BT bill today.
BT broadband and week-end calls going up to £45.49.

Doesn't say anything on bill just noticed it was dearer than last time.

Rang BT they told me contract ran out. Best they can do is £28.49 per month. New router with free upgrade to fibre.
Don't really need fibre, had it before, copper is fine.
Trouble is when the contract runs out next time I'll be paying more for fibre I don't need.
BT fibre doesn't need an install from engineer as it plugs into existing phone line.
Only Virgin is fibre from cabinet to home apparently.

Anyway, I'm not paying £28.49 so I cancelled with BT.
Virgin next probably, maybe Sky.
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List