Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Aug 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Transylvania to Pennsylvania and beyond! Day 6 – Tempe and around the hotel in Scottsdale

Sunday 14th July 2019

Cast list (the usual):

Me: Shaun, Intrepid Traveller

Her: Alison, Slightly less intrepid traveler, but planner supreme and finds the good deals!

Trip Report Index HERE

I woke up with the normal routine of finding Alison wide awake (having seen another sunrise on the balcony at about 4.30am)

... and making me coffee. After some discussion we decided to check out one of the onsite restaurants for breakfast (SWB) as it was included in our stay package. Normal service was resumed for me as a whole buffet breakfast was laid out on the side – great for us picky eaters!

Our waitress was pleasant and chatty enough as we tried to explain why we had come out to Phoenix this time of year. There was a TV on in the far corner and I realised that it was Wimbledon men’s single final today. I knew that Alison would be very interested in the match so once back in the room I sunbathed and read on our patio while Alison watched the match in the room. We needed a bit of a rest day after the previous days driving.

I didn’t want to spend too much time by the pool again and it sounded a bit noisier than before so we looked to see what else was around within a reasonable distance. Alison found a funky indoor minigolf place that would do the trick, a bit of competition and out of the heat.

We easily found Glow Putt, the glow in the dark crazy golf, bought tickets and the competition was on! Excellent course and well maintained unlike the Kiss crazy golf in Vegas! I got my eye in early and streaked ahead on the scoring.

On the last whole I managed to get another hole-in-one and according to the board I was up for a prize. We mentioned it at the desk and I think it’s usually a free round but weren’t going to be around much so they gave me a snazzy pair of light up glasses – at last, my Elton John moment!

We left the golf and after we stepped outside, the bright light and heat of the day seemed quite overwhelming. Only one thing for it and that was to get an ice cream next door at Sweet Republic, none of your fancy nitrogen blasted ice cream here! Instead everything was made from scratch using local and fresh ingredients.

I had a Salted Butter Caramel Swirl – our notes don’t state what Alison had!

After using the wi-fi we decided to go out to Arizona Mills Mall at Tempe to see if we could find a couple of bits that we were looking for. We browsed some of the shops as best we could but being a Sunday the place was quite crowded. I picked up a couple of everyday T-Shirts from U.S. Polo Assn and we also bought a couple of metal water bottles.

Well, that was enough retail therapy for me so we made our way back to the hotel and on the way back we put 20 dollars’ worth of petrol in the car which bought it up to about half a tank to keep us going for the trips we have later.

It was another warm day!

We stopped off on the way back in Panera Bread, another Florida favourite, just for a snack of soup and sandwiches. The place was completely deserted so it gave us time to ponder what to have without having a long queue behind us. We love that you can get half portions here so I had a soup and sandwich, and Alison had an Asian salad and a hot toasted chicken sandwich

We left the restaurant and made our way back to the hotel and thought we’d have a swim to cool down but boy, the pools were really busy so we just relaxed on our balcony for a while. Eventually we decided we go down anyway and as it was about 6pm the bar area was starting to pack up which was great that there was no noise blaring out.

OMG! The pool was like a bath! So hot from the heat of the day but still slightly cooler than the outside temperature. We stayed a little while before going back to our room to get dressed and changed before heading to the outside area of the bar (most sensible people were inside in the aircon!)

We thought we’d try the bar meals tonight so I had a flat bread (goats cheese and rosemary) and Alison had quesadillas, washed down with a couple of beers for me and a Sunset Cocktail for Alison. The simple food hit the spot and the outside area was lovely, just sitting under the stars in that holiday warm evening.

We called an end to a nice relaxing day and bought beer and crisps in the lobby shop for the room later and crashed out for the night.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 11:17 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 04:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

That is way too hot

Sounds like a nice relaxing day though!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List