Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Any advice or ideas for our sudden trip to Orlando

Hi,

I will try and keep this short.

- Wife diagnosed with Breast Cancer Oct 2018, has had two operations Nov and Dec, chemotherapy Feb to June and Radiotherapy July to August (ended treatment last week).
- Yesterday hospital said she is fit to travel providing she rests and is doesn't overdo things.
- Booked yesterday, fly out on Monday for 10 nights, staying around Lake Buena Vista.
- Main reason for going is to give the wife a break and get away from being stuck at home, and help her in her recovery.
- Reason for picking Orlando, our 21 year old daughter is working at Epcot on the 'cultural exchange program' and we wanted to go and see her, she has been out there since June.
- Have hired a car with Budget.
- Have not purchased any park tickets yet as unsure how often we will use them as my sife has to rest and I wonder if going to the parks will be too much.
- In the past we've alwas hammered the parks and never had to take it easy. I'm sure you dont have to go crazy in the parks but I wonder is it worth paying that money if you dont use it? Are there nice places in the park to put your feet up and rest etc.
- Any non parks ideas?

Would appreciate any thoughts or previous similar experiences on how to approach this holiday considering this position we are in.

Personally I want to buy the park tickets but then I feel my wife might feel pressured, which is not the point of the holiday, the point is she needs to rest and start recovering aftre all her treatments.

Thanks
'06-Gran Canaria - Gran Canaria Princess
'07-Pop Century, Royal Pacific Resort and Marriot Suite Resort Clearwater Sandkey
berniboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

When my daughter worked in epcot about 15 years ago on the cultural programme she got so many free passes to the parks for family and friends, so went to all of them without having to pay, so check with her first before you buy tickets.
Sorry to hear that your wife has been poorly but good news that's she's now fit to travel.
Hope you manage to go there as it would be lovely to see your daughter, you could hire a wheelchair for the days you go to a park, so your wife can enjoy it without getting exhausted
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by berniboy View Post
Hi,

I will try and keep this short.

- Wife diagnosed with Breast Cancer Oct 2018, has had two operations Nov and Dec, chemotherapy Feb to June and Radiotherapy July to August (ended treatment last week).
- Yesterday hospital said she is fit to travel providing she rests and is doesn't overdo things.
- Booked yesterday, fly out on Monday for 10 nights, staying around Lake Buena Vista.
- Main reason for going is to give the wife a break and get away from being stuck at home, and help her in her recovery.
- Reason for picking Orlando, our 21 year old daughter is working at Epcot on the 'cultural exchange program' and we wanted to go and see her, she has been out there since June.
- Have hired a car with Budget.
- Have not purchased any park tickets yet as unsure how often we will use them as my sife has to rest and I wonder if going to the parks will be too much.
- In the past we've alwas hammered the parks and never had to take it easy. I'm sure you dont have to go crazy in the parks but I wonder is it worth paying that money if you dont use it? Are there nice places in the park to put your feet up and rest etc.
- Any non parks ideas?

Would appreciate any thoughts or previous similar experiences on how to approach this holiday considering this position we are in.

Personally I want to buy the park tickets but then I feel my wife might feel pressured, which is not the point of the holiday, the point is she needs to rest and start recovering aftre all her treatments.

Thanks
Hello Berniboy - Don't forget to make sure you have insurance in place if you haven't already.

You sound very organised and I am sure your wife and daughter will appreciate your efforts whatever you chose to do. Hope you all have a great holiday.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Dreamer1977
Helping Mickey

We went last October about 9 days after I finished my radiotherapy, after chemo and an operation for breast cancer.

I definitely had to take it a bit easier than I had before, but I loved going to the parks and did a lot more than I thought I’d be able to. After 8 - 9 months of treatment it was great to have a bit of normal. It was just what we all needed
Dreamer1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Good point there mickeyspal, she has three tickets left at the moment, as she used all her others up a couple of weeks back when her friends came to see her. She would have saved them for us but we never expected to be going to see her.
'07-Pop Century, Royal Pacific Resort and Marriot Suite Resort Clearwater Sandkey
berniboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
berniboy
Trying for More Ears

Dreamer1977, thank you for sharing your experience as it sounds identical, it's very reassuring.
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post

It sounds a lovely idea to have a break and a rest up. Just enjoying the weather and different four walls will be a boost. But not as much as seeing your daughter I have no doubt. It would be nice to use a free pass to go to Epcot and see where your DD is working. Can do morning, back and rest for afternoon and then back for slow walk around world showcase, meal, fireworks and home.

How is your wife with food? Suggest looking at the starters and sides on restaurant menus before you go, some are a bit samey and if smaller appetite ATM then variety at least would be good.

I would suggest a trip or two to sweet tomatoes, lovely fresh light food. Good variety and little rush.

Celebration, sit by lake in armchairs eating ice-cream at kilwins, crab or lobster bap from the tavern first if you fancy it.

How about a trip on spirit of the swamp. Airboats are noisy but nature is restful.

Discovery cove?

Whatever you opt to do, have a lovely time.

Edited at 09:49 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridalovermcg
Proud to wear my Ears

You could visit one of the state parks I'm sure it's $8 per car with up to 4 passengers, we visited de Leon springs state park and went on the 50 min boat trip, it was nice and relaxing then went to the old Spanish sugar mill to make our own pancakes, highly recommend it. You can also swim in the natural spring.

Main thing is your wife needs to listen to her body and if she needs to take time out and rest then so be it.

I hope you both have a great time.

Alana
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We always find Disneyland/ Universal parks rather ‘full on’ and tiring.

Have you considered Discovery Cove? It is very relaxing, attendance is limited to 1500 and a bit of an Oasis. You could go for that and get Seaworld (always a quieter park with plenty of shows as part of the ticket.

As with others, the State parks may fit the bill. There are a lot of them. We visited Rainbow River at Dunellon this year where you drift 4.5 miles down on a Chrystal clear river on a Rubber ring (or in our case a Kayak. You will find pictures on our trip report.

The Crazy golf courses and other unheralded attractions in the area may also come into play.

Hoping it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:31 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

I can recommend hiring an ECV for the length of the holiday. I did that last year when I was waiting for an operation. It meant that I had independence as I didn't need anyone to push me, and there was always somewhere to sit for a rest no matter where I was.
It was available for the entire holiday, not just the parks, and wasn't much more expensive than renting on a daily basis.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List