General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Aug 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Key West and Miami quickie!

Just back from a great trip, back in the damp and colder UK :-(

Summary of our trip!

Stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn at T2 Heathrow, really nice hotel on the terminal, poor signage and some airport staff don’t know it’s there!

Meet and Greet at T3, dead easy drop off, confusing signage again coming home!?

Flight out, first time in Upper Class, great! Clubhouse swanky, flight attendants great, comfortable seat and great food. But can’t understand how families can afford the cost, cabin was full of kids, I’m not saying I don’t mind that, just can’t get my head round it ;-)

Car hire via Sixt, booked in online, had query via desk, they tried to upsell, it worked we had a Mustang GT for 5 days, beast! But a bit of a dog really to drive, decided I’m old now and going to stick to a SUV or a pick up next time :-)

One night stay at Best Western Gateway to the Keys at Homestead, clean, decent free breakfast and close to outlets, restaurants, Walmart etc.

4 nights at the Orchard Inn at Key West just on/off Duval, couldn’t fault it, great little place, personal service, would highly recommend.

Some lovely restaurants and lively bars with live music every night, and great sunsets!

Back up to Miami, 4 nights at the Redbury on Collins Avenue on South Beach, good location, decent size room and staff friendly, but just not a patch on Key West.

First time to Miami and it’s an awesome place to experience, we did a lot of walking, saw the sights, can recommend the Big Pink! And the Thriller boat ride.

Overall Key West stuck with us as the place we’d go back too, laid back, lots to do, just chill, drink eat, sleep, repeat...

Edited at 08:01 PM.
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Sounds lovely glad you liked it, rich people have kids too
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Oh and best food on the trip, the smoothie from Robert is Here near Homestead!

Edited at 08:02 PM.
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Love KW! Glad you had a great trip !
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, regarding the Mustang when you said it was a bit of a dog to drive, what was the main issue? I’m thinking of hiring one next year and just interested to hear what you thought. Also was it the 5.0 litre engine? Thanks, Peter
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Hi Peter,

It was the GT, the 5.0 litre, don't get me wrong it sounded great, but just didn't feel very special to drive. Think it's because I have an Audi SQ5 V6 diesel which has 370bhp and that's maybe quicker (and more comfortable)

I hired it with SIXT and could have had a BMW 4 series convertible for less money, that's probably a better car.

But i'd always wanted to hire a Mustang and I have done it! And i was surprised how frugal it was, averaged 29 mpg on the trip.

It's maybe not the best journey to hire one, a long motorway drive down from Miami to Key West, and it was too darned hot sometimes with the roof down in August ;-)

Pacific Coast Highway might be a totally different experience for a drop top?!
Old 23 Aug 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, I was surprised how cheap they are to hire but helpful to hear comments from someone that has driven one. We are going in February so the fierce temperatures you had in August won't be a problem.

Funnily enough I saw a guy getting into one on a car park yesterday, the 5.0 litre version. I asked him if he liked it and he described it as 'like driving a stupid dog'! Said it was not the easiest car to handle.

We will be doing a lot of driving and whilst the Mustang sounds like an iconic dream car, it may not quite live up to expectations.

Thanks for your help.

Peter
Pedro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Sounds like a fab trip..
We've also stayed at the Orchid Key Inn... awesome place and perfect location. 💖
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,

Edited at 09:41 PM.
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Sounds amazing would love to go back to key West didn't see enough of it !