Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Aug 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Marriott Suites Sandkey - any good?

We have been given a really good price for next September at the above hotel but as always I like to hear from people who have stayed.

Can anyone tell me about it? The TA told us there is a free shuttle to Clearwater but there is no mention of it on their site.

Thanks
Tracey

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Thought I'd give my view and give you a bump as you haven't had a reply yet - although it may be a bit out of date unfortunately.

We've stayed there on our last 3 visits to Clearwater, although the last time we were out that way was 2010. I believe it's had a refurb since then. If we went to Clearwater again, I'd certainly stay there, more so than the rather upmarket Sheraton we used to stay in across the road. It is used for business/conferences but we've never seen any in the times we've been.

Situated in a very nice area of Condos and a few hotels. Hulk Hogan's condo is across the road. Not the greatest claim to fame but just throwing it in there.

Sand Key is one of the best beaches in Florida and has numerous nature projects - Sea Turtles and other endangered species - ongoing there. There was a free shuttle at the time to Clearwater, plus a golf buggy shuttle to the really beautiful beach across the road. Sorry - can't say if there is now. I know the beach shuttle is but don't know about the Clearwater shuttle

All the suites face across the bay toward Clearwater - the opposite side to the beach. Rooms open onto an open walkway which face the road and beach across from it. The bay view is wonderful though. Sit on the balcony and watch the dolphins swim up and down. And it's lovely at night with Clearwater lit up across the bay.

Lobby/Reception was very smart and the marble made it seem upmarket. Gave a slightly false impression as the rooms were a little tatty in comparison. As mentioned - rooms (and looking at the photos, the whole hotel) had major renovation since then but they were still very good. Separate bedroom to a living area with sofa/bed and chair. I'm 99% certain that every room in the hotel were identical but that may have changed with the refurb.

Pool area was clean and very relaxing. Kids loved it. I always remember it being slightly chilly but that's usually more than welcome. Great little pool bar. Never had problems getting a sunbed. Small gym and launderette area just off the pool area. The obligatory cabanas. A hotel spa/beauty treatments was located just near the entrance.

We ate in the restaurant only once - for breakfast - and it was tremendous. A good selection of food was available poolside and the outdoor areas as well. But there is a small restaurant/shopping area 10 yards from the exit from the pool area. A pretty decent Columbian restaurant, American Cafe and Dunkin' Donuts amongst others, if I remember rightly.

Hopefully someone will be along and give you a much more recent opinion but happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Suffice to say - we found it wonderful and would have no hesitation in returning

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24

Edited at 09:18 PM.
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you so much for your reply. We have now booked in Clearwater as we only stay there a couple of nights so didn’t want to be on the shuttle to get back and forth, eating into our time.

Thanks again from a fellow yellow belly

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List