Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Aug 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bunts
Getting Excited

Virgin holiday price changes

We are wanting to book for October 2020 and I’ve been checking out virgin prices over the last few weeks not on a regular basis not changing the dates and it’s gone up by as much as £4000 and down again to a more manageable price also flying on a Monday is now showing to be more expensive then flying on a Saturday by about £2000.
bunts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

When we decided what we wanted, I checked out Virgin, tui and TC twice a day for over a week, and made myself a spreadsheet, with different hotels and flight dates.

Virgin had the highest price fluctuations, and sometimes prices were up and down by over £800 from one day to the next, with all the operators. When the prices went down enough, we phoned up and booked straight away.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
When we decided what we wanted, I checked out Virgin, tui and TC twice a day for over a week, and made myself a spreadsheet, with different hotels and flight dates.

Virgin had the highest price fluctuations, and sometimes prices were up and down by over £800 from one day to the next, with all the operators. When the prices went down enough, we phoned up and booked straight away.
thats exactly it and all you can do.

Many people you'll read saying that they don't understand people who book with VH, but it's probably that they're not accounting for the price fluctuations.

Last year all our flights were DIY direct with virgin atlantic because VH didnt come close even after watching them a good few weeks. This year, all our flights are virgin holidays (with car hire) because they were cheaper or equal to virgin atlantic (with benefits like free lounge and deposit only booking).

A few years ago, a quick call to VH would see them give out their very best price, now though they're pretty rubbish and wont usually budge.

so yeah, unfortunately if you want the best out of VH now, it's a balancing game between waiting and watching v missing out
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

If cost is the most important think do not book with Virgin Holidays always much more expensive than DIY and what do you get for it.

Don’t book your flights before te Xmas sale booke accom now if you want but not flights you will never get them cheaper before they are released.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
If cost is the most important think do not book with Virgin Holidays always much more expensive than DIY and what do you get for it.
Well not true. VH is often more expensive, but sometimes it's around the same as VA+car hire and sometimes it can even be cheaper.

And what do you get for it, well you only have to pay a deposit and can pay the rest off before your trip which is useful for lots of people. You get ATOL protection as its a package holiday, you get access to the VH lounge...

I'm not arguing to pay MORE for VH but I'm just saying that it is definitely not "always much more expensive".
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
Well not true. VH is often more expensive, but sometimes it's around the same as VA+car hire and sometimes it can even be cheaper.

And what do you get for it, well you only have to pay a deposit and can pay the rest off before your trip which is useful for lots of people. You get ATOL protection as its a package holiday, you get access to the VH lounge...

I'm not arguing to pay MORE for VH but I'm just saying that it is definitely not "always much more expensive".
That's fair enough and from what you say it works for some people and they save money in my experience it has never been cheaper (unless they grab a load of my miles) but if that works for some that is great .
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

When planning our Trip, I got quotes from Virgin, BA, Thomas Cook, Netflights, Tui, and Ocean Villa. All for the same dates & requirements. Virgin came out the most expensive by almost £2000

I ended up booking with BA as they were the cheapest, and I've saved enough money, that the difference has paid for our park tickets and car hire.

Its definitely worth shopping around and consider going with other travel companies
Mandij39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We booked with VH for next may before the flights got released and since then the prices have just kept going up, when the actual release date came around the price for ours went up by almost £1.5k and since then they've gone up by almost another £500.

I fully expect they might come down again to the level we booked at, maybe even slightly cheaper in a sale.

Thomas cook wasn't an option for us as their flights from Glasgow don't start until after we're looking to go and TUI were more expensive than Virgin (they've come down since). We looked at TC from Manchester but once we added in the costs for the travel to Manchester, overnight at hotel (we'd need 2 rooms) & general expense for food for the manchester overnight it more or less ate up what we would save and we'd be getting a direct flight with Virgin

Edited at 08:45 AM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Derbydave4
Excited about Disney

Mobile

KeithOP is right I have always booked DIY until this year I could not get anywhere near the VH price 12 days Royal Pacific club level direct flights with free seat booking and V room in Aug school holidays for 5k 2 adults 2 children within weeks it was up to 6.5K You just have to be lucky and keep checking and jump on it as soon as you see a price your happy with take it
Derbydave4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Same here, I’ve always done diy before, but this time VH came in at @3k for 2 adults direct flights Economy delight out PE return 14 nights at Aventura in a deluxe room and private transfers each way, I couldn’t get near that diy and when you add in I’ve only had to pay a deposit it was a no brainier x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List