Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I too would look at virgin - I wanted too go back to virgin as their broadband is better and am paying less then I did with my sky tv and bt broadband plus got £220 cash back and at time of ordering I got a free 43 inch tv too. We too wanted to keep sports both sky and bt otherwise we would have been ok with just our Netflix and just got virgin broadband .
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Every time our contract ends I ring them to get a new one.
I never tell them I want to leave or anything like that, just tell them you want to reduce the price of your bill. They have always given me whatever deal they have running currently.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CAD View Post

So we reluctantly moved to Sky, and we have had ok service with them however I do have issues with what they told me during the initial sales call in relation to price increases which means I will be leaving them regardless at the end of the contract (out of principle).
Sky pulled a new trick which actually impressed me with their creativity despite the annoyance.
They told me my subscription was fixed for 18 months when it was agreed with their retention team.
I was surprised when they sent me a letter telling me it was going up by £3. When I rang to complain they told me it was the discount that was fixed, not the subscription.
I told them I took photos of my 'chat' which clearly stated my subscription was fixed for 18 months.
At that point they decided they made a mistake and would keep to my agreed payment.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
buddog
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
We are currently paying 135.00 pound a month for sky tv and broadband I am going to ring today to try and reduce the cost this is just ridiculous any ideas how I can do this going to cancel movies but hubby wants sports tv ... do you think I could cancel it and then reinstate it in my hubbys name as I have seen new customers getting it for as little as 35 pound a month ? any help advice appreciated thanks
Good grief!
That is alot thought mine was bad enough at roughly £75!... I don't have sports with that or broadband/phone.
Phone them , you have nothing to loose.
buddog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you need to audit what you actually watch (and want to watch)

do you really need "sports" or "movies"? if its something specific, you can probably find it online via the official app for cheaper (baseball, formula 1, specific teams, etc)

do you need a movie package, or would a netflix and/or amazon prime sub have enough for you?

look at cord cutting, i have a freeview aerial and everything (else) is watched via my amazon stick running kodi/yoda/exodus/plex or the various tv apps (iplayer/4od/etc)

all i pay for now is my internet connection. no phone line, no tv package.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is an old post (and long) but some people's hints and outcomes were posted on here. Duchy was a big help 😉

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1118221
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

I ended up contacting them as we were paying a similar sum. Although I'm now paying the same, they were able to give me Netflix (which we've watched more of than normal Sky since we've had it), an iPhone XR with 8gbs and a 8gbs SIM for my son for the same price. So, though I didn't save with Sky, I did end up saving the £40pm we would be paying for the phones. We were quite happy with that (especially I was the one who got the new phone!)
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Thanks for starting this thread, I phoned today and my bill was reduced by £35 a month and we have been given more channels.
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
you need to audit what you actually watch (and want to watch)

do you really need "sports" or "movies"? if its something specific, you can probably find it online via the official app for cheaper (baseball, formula 1, specific teams, etc)

do you need a movie package, or would a netflix and/or amazon prime sub have enough for you?

look at cord cutting, i have a freeview aerial and everything (else) is watched via my amazon stick running kodi/yoda/exodus/plex or the various tv apps (iplayer/4od/etc)

all i pay for now is my internet connection. no phone line, no tv package.
This is the process we are working through now.

We have ditched Netflix, Amazon, BT Sport, and Premier Sports.

Netflix and Amazon we don't miss at all. BT Sport we had for MotoGP and Indycar, when Indycar moved to Sky Sports, we decided BT Sport cost too much to watch MotoGP, so we make do with the highlights on Quest.

We dropped Premier Sport because we only had it for NASCAR. Some week-ends they gave priority to other sports so we watch on Youtube instead.

We had fibre at our previous house but for our purpose, copper broadband is fine, and it's cheaper.

Same with Sky Q, our present dish has a Sky HD LNB. Instead of paying for it to be upgraded we sent the Q boxes back. We use an older HD box which is fine. We have the most basic package + Box Sets + F1 (all in HD) for £35 monthly. We never use Box Office.

The next thing to ditch is our BT landline as we never use it. We nearly cancelled it when they tried to charge us extra because we hadn't made at least six calls, but they gave in. We came closest when they tried to charge for paper statements, but they gave in on that too. It's going asap anyway, saving £240.

The most pressing urge is to stop paying for a TV Licence.
We will be fine watching downloads, and not live broadcasts. That will save £155+.

When we move, our next house won't need an aerial or a dish.

Our current mobiles are both out of contract, using a 3 PAYG SIM in one, and an 02 SIM Only in the other.

It's surprising how much we don't miss all the other channels tbh.

Edited at 09:02 PM.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CAD View Post
How does this work as I was under the assumption that even if you used the internet to download or stream programs (legally via Iplayer etc.) you would still require a TV licence. Is that assumption wrong on my part then?
from the tv licensing site...
Yes, you need a TV Licence - if you watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use.

No, you don’t need a TV Licence - if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List