Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Aug 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Does anyone have a helix or daith piercing?

As I probably can't afford to add to my tattoo this year was thinking about getting pierced instead.

I'm thinking either helix (or possibly double helix) daith or even both?

Any hints or tips for me? The pain factor? Could/should I do both at the same time?

Plus-I'm 45, am I having a mid-life crisis? 😂
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My dd 16 had a helix and her 2nd lobes done a couple of weeks ago. She had them all done with a needle in a tattoo place and said they were a bit painful but she is thinking about getting more so not that bad!

I would like to get my nose pierced and I’m 46 I’ve not quite plucked up the courage yet ..go on go for it
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had a daith piercing. It is one of the most notoriously difficult piercings to heal because of the location. I LOVED how it looked and it’s still one of my favourite piercings, but it can go wrong with the piercing (because you know it’s an awkward place) and unless the piercer gets it perfect it’s not going to heal.

I had no end of issues with mine and it was just painful continuously so in the end I took it out. It was in the view to let it heal and then have it repierced but tbh I was bored of the aggro by then so I didn’t.

However I still think they look beautiful and you may not be as unlucky as me.

Tips to speed up the healing (with any cartilage piercing really). They don’t heal as well as other piercings because they don’t obviously have as much blood flow. So a hot compress will draw the blood and help the healing, my piercer actually recommenced camomile teabags. Use a sterilised tea cup, brew a bag, wait until it’s cool enough
To touch (but still very warm) squeeze out the water and place it in your ear (feels super nice actually) and keep repeating until the bag is cold.

Anyway good luck whichever you choose!

Oh and I just wanted to add, I am a massive wuss but honestly the actually piercing didn’t hurt that bad. Obviously it hurt as he did it but it was actually fine pretty much straight after

Sorry edited to add one more comment. Think of the side you get it done on. I wouldn’t get one done on both sides because you then will not be able to sleep on your side until it’s healed. (Sleeping can dislodge the piercing and cause a lump to appear!)

Edited at 09:43 PM.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I have a daith piercing. Got it when I was 44 as I was suffering for bad migraines and it's worked to stop them. It did take a long time to heal properly (over 6 months) as I had a keloid scar.

I'm sure if I hadn't had it done for migraines (or if it hadn't worked) I would have taken it out but I persevered with salt water bathing and it eventually healed.

The initial piercing didn't hurt, but the scaring was painful and sore.
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I have both. My daith was one of the easier to heal peircings, the helix was also fine, both took 6-12 months to heal which is standard for cartilage piercings.

Just make sure you go to a good piercing salon with a dedicated piercer. (not a tattoo parlour where the tattooists do it a a side job) make sure all is clean, sterilised, and the piercer is experienced. better still APP registered. Also make sure only surgical grade titanium jewellery is used.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sorry edited to add one more comment. Think of the side you get it done on. I wouldn’t get one done on both sides because you then will not be able to sleep on your side until it’s healed. (Sleeping can dislodge the piercing and cause a lump to appear!)
Was going to get them done on the same ear.
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Was going to get them done on the same ear.
I have found that my diath ws much quicker healing as it was the only piercing i had done at the time. when I had 2 or 3 cartilage piercings at once they were trickier to heal
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I had my helix piercing done in January, I'm 43 so if you're having a midlife crisis then so am I . I love mine but it still causes me pain if I catch it or try and sleep on it. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is not have a ring and had gone with a cluster but that's because I've got curly hair and it's forever catching it.

I'm sure that whichever you go with will look great.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

I'm 53 and have a half sleeve tattoo and until the end of June only had the standard lobe piercings (I seem to have done everything after I was 39, so it's a very long mid life crisis ). DD talked me into have piercings done when she went to get a conch and a 3rd, and I had a double helix and a tragus done. Didn't really think it out too well as I got my left ear done, which is the one I use when I'm on the phone. Duh .

We were recommended to use surgical steel rather than titanium, have had issues with blisters and some bleeding so have just swapped out for bioflex post/silver/stainless steel labrets. We've found these to be far more comfortable and they already seem to be healing better than they were. Last week I would have said the tragus was healing better, but this week it still has a surgical steel labret in it and isn't doing so well. Interestingly, we were told 12 weeks for healing. DD has never had these issues before and the place we went to has very good reviews so if someone can recommend somewhere for you, it's worth considering.

We were also recommended to just use saline to clean and soothe, and this has worked for DD in the past. I think I'd like to try the camomile though - thanks for the tip!

Edited: I got it completely wrong we have titanium labrets in - but I don't think my skin likes it - the bioflex works for us though.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes

Edited at 11:59 PM.
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I had a scaffold piercing for a while - it was a beast to heal! I knocked mine a few times before it was properly healed (roller coasters were not much fun!) but it did look awesome! The healing process is the only thing that puts me off getting it redone in the other ear!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List