Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Aug 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
xmelaniee
Getting Excited

Such a frustrating experience being handled awfully. We're due to fly back on the 28th MCO to LGW and our flight is red and is unable to book online. I'm assuming this is because if the strikes on the 27th go ahead, the planes/crew may not be in Orlando.

My husband can't request more time off at work at this point so our only options currently are to re-book and lose days of our honeymoon, or wait it out and see what happens.

Obviously at the moment we're going with the second of the two options and just hoping BA sort themselves out, but am also worried about being told just before we leave that our flight is cancelled, leaving us stressing on our honeymoon sorting alternative arrangements.
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by xmelaniee View Post
Such a frustrating experience being handled awfully. We're due to fly back on the 28th MCO to LGW and our flight is red and is unable to book online. I'm assuming this is because if the strikes on the 27th go ahead, the planes/crew may not be in Orlando.

My husband can't request more time off at work at this point so our only options currently are to re-book and lose days of our honeymoon, or wait it out and see what happens.

Obviously at the moment we're going with the second of the two options and just hoping BA sort themselves out, but am also worried about being told just before we leave that our flight is cancelled, leaving us stressing on our honeymoon sorting alternative arrangements.
We are flying back on the same day, on the later flight. So my flight is red at the moment. We are just going to leave it and see - we are both due back to work on the Monday but if I can’t go in because my flight is delayed then oh well! Not too stressed at the moment.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by xmelaniee View Post

Whenever I've talked to the crew they always seem to be spending a few days in FLorida, so I doubt if its the crew from the previous day.

BA have zeroed out the flights to FL the day before and the day after. I'm betting on them running as normal and they are not for sale to help them move the unfortunates on the 27th onto near flights. For LGW I see no reason for them to cancel the flights.

If I'm wrong, I'll be in the same boat and could even get caught up if its not sorted for October for the return, as these are only the initial dates.
I work on the understanding I can move a day or so, or even move my super cheap fly-drive out to next Aug school hols free of charge. I'm wondering if this will be a better option for me and then get some cheaper flights around the 26th for this year.
As mentioned I read on flyertalk that the red means you can amend the booking dates on mormally inflexible tickets.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Joeyt182
VIP Dibber

Joeyt182's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Most airlines have a 24 hour period you can cancel in , are you still within it ?
Yes, Norwegian have refunded the full amount. Its been a long day! Still amazed by the mistake BA have made - I would hope there are some serious discussions going on at BA HQ tonight.

Don't often drink, but an ice cold beer tasted amazing tonight...
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Seaworldfan View Post
Do folks with travel on non strike days but with flights in red have the same message as we do below?

I read that as we have the choice to do nothing and stay on our return flight or move it if we want... or is this generic and everyone sees the same?

Yes I had that appear last night, had an email arrive overnight saying flight cancelled so booked with easyJet cancelled BA booking then got an email this evening saying flight going ahead!

I will be contacting BA for the costs incurred in changing my flights seeing as I only did it because they said my flight was cancelled!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
We are flying back on the same day, on the later flight. So my flight is red at the moment. We are just going to leave it and see - we are both due back to work on the Monday but if I can’t go in because my flight is delayed then oh well! Not too stressed at the moment.
In the same boat, MCO to LGW on the later flight on the 28th.

Made a few changes to plans, was driving down to LGW to park but now going to use a taxi so we can be flexible as to where the car is and 1 less thing to sort if the flight is cancelled while out there. Also booked a hotel for the Saturday night that is fully cancellable so thats sorted also... so its just the minor issue of how we get back to the UK
Seaworldfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Broadsword
Earning My Ears

I wonder if they have sent that cancellation email for flights before and after the strike dates deliberate. Get people to cancel and make other plans so they have more space available to move people on the strike dates.
Broadsword is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Yes I had that appear last night, had an email arrive overnight saying flight cancelled so booked with easyJet cancelled BA booking then got an email this evening saying flight going ahead!

I will be contacting BA for the costs incurred in changing my flights seeing as I only did it because they said my flight was cancelled!
I wish you luck, but normally the terms are you must go through BA to change and if you do it independently you have no recourse to additional compensation, which in your case was more expensive flights with easyjet.
Not saying they will not help, but they are not legally obliged and knowing BA will resist unless the reputational damage gets to big.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
I wonder if they have sent that cancellation email for flights before and after the strike dates deliberate. Get people to cancel and make other plans so they have more space available to move people on the strike dates.
Ah the old conspiracy theory , tin hats on

Frankly No . I don't think that I think it was a screw up.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
I wish you luck, but normally the terms are you must go through BA to change and if you do it independently you have no recourse to additional compensation, which in your case was more expensive flights with easyjet.
Not saying they will not help, but they are not legally obliged and knowing BA will resist unless the reputational damage gets to big.
Normally I would agree, but that BBC article quoted a spokesperson as saying anyone that has incurred costs as a result of the incorrect email should contact them, though that’s a whole other story isn’t it. Hence why I made arrangements myself when they sent the cancellation email, I couldn’t even get into a queue on the phone it just kept saying we’re busy try another time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List