Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Sep 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
NHH
A Guest at All-Stars

Disney Springs or Boardwalk area

We’ve never been to WDW or even Orlando before, and I’m trying to understand which area (Disney Springs or Boardwalk) would suit us best.

I’m leaning towards one of the Disney associate hotels, rather than “proper Disney”, so would like somewhere where we can eat out at reasonable cost within walking distance if possible, as nor intending to have a car at this point. Happy to Uber though.

So which is better: Disney Springs or Boardwalk?
NHH is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by NHH View Post
We’ve never been to WDW or even Orlando before, and I’m trying to understand which area (Disney Springs or Boardwalk) would suit us best.

I’m leaning towards one of the Disney associate hotels, rather than “proper Disney”, so would like somewhere where we can eat out at reasonable cost within walking distance if possible, as nor intending to have a car at this point. Happy to Uber though.

If you after the most cheap dining locations and shopping then Disney Springs would be better.

If you want a more relaxed 'Disney' vacation experience then Boardwalk.

I prefer the boardwalk. I am not a big Springs fan. Too many people and don't like shopping. I only go there to pick up the voucher

Edited at 12:24 PM.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

The Boardwalk is a Disney Hotel rather than a neighbourhood. There aren't any associate hotels nearby really and the ones that are, are as close to the Disney Springs area as they are the Boardwalk. The Hilton at Bonnet Creek is about in the middle of the two so would probably be your best bet. Nothing is walking distance but an Uber would be really cheap.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The only real non Disney hotel on the Boardwalk or Crescent Lake (and even that is very closely aligned with Disney having being built under Michael Eisner, the old CEO’s tenure who basically decided what was being built then licensed out it’s operations ), is Swan and Dolphin, which get most of the same perks, are a bit cheaper, and are not Disney operated.
I’d highly recommend the Boardwalk hotel itself.
All these hotels though are expensive.
The Boardwalk is an area, and it has just the Boardwalk hotel on it, with Swan and Dolphin adjacent. However, the Boardwalk is on a half mile circumference lake called Crescent Lake, it takes up about a third. You can walk all the way around the lake which also has Beach and Yacht Club hotels on it. From this area you can walk easily into Epcot, and a little further away but still in walking distance, Hollywood Studios.
Stay on the Boardwalk/ Crescent Lake area, and you have everything from some expensive sit down restaurants in the hotels, to all of the restaurants in Epcot, which is easy walking distance and includes a lot of more moderately priced quick serve.
Cheaper hotels are off site partner hotels, still technically on Disney property (Disney is the landlord, but they are built along Disney owned roads ) quite close to Disney Springs. Disney Springs has a lot of good restaurants, but none of the table service ones are cheap there either.
If you can afford it I’d try Boardwalk or Beach Club or Yacht Club which are all on the Boardwalk/ Crescent Lake. Or how about a split stay, half at a Boardwalk hotel, half at a non Disney hotel near DS?

Edited at 12:43 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
The Boardwalk is a Disney Hotel rather than a neighbourhood. There aren't any associate hotels nearby really and the ones that are, are as close to the Disney Springs area as they are the Boardwalk.
Swan & Dolphin is next to the Boardwalk hotel and I would consider this an associate hotel (Sheraton).

I can see why Boardwalk could be considered an area (although most people tend to refer to it as ”Epcot resorts”). You have the Boardwalk hotel/villas with the restaurants and entertainment on the actual Boardwalk, connected and walkable to Swan&Dolphin, Yacht Club and Beach Club.

OP - I assume you are not on the Dining Plan (DDP)? If you were on DDP I would pick Boardwalk area as it is easy to walk in to Epcot that has many great restaurants. If you are not on DDP, you are closer to take an Uber to offsite places if you are near Disney Springs.
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
NHH
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks for the replies - it was the Swan and Dolphin hotels I was looking at. We’re not eligible for DDP on our dates, so was looking for somewhere that we could easily eat out.

On balance Disney Springs area in a less expensive hotel might be the way to go, and also go some way to mitigating food costs.

We’ve only planned 5 nights for Disney before moving onto a universal hotel (already booked), not sure if I can face the upheaval of changing hotels after a few nights, and I don’t think we’d get to make the most of the facilities on offer.
NHH is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

If price is your main concern. Disney Springs would be the way forward.

We stayed at the Swan and it was a good hotel. You can use the boat in the morning to Epcot/HS. It is deluxe. It has a character dining. It is near the boardwalk. It has crazy golf. We would stay there again. You will get more of a 'Disney' experience but it is a lot more expensive than some Springs hotels.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies - it was the Swan and Dolphin hotels I was looking at. We’re not eligible for DDP on our dates, so was looking for somewhere that we could easily eat out.

On balance Disney Springs area in a less expensive hotel might be the way to go, and also go some way to mitigating food costs.

We’ve only planned 5 nights for Disney before moving onto a universal hotel (already booked), not sure if I can face the upheaval of changing hotels after a few nights, and I don’t think we’d get to make the most of the facilities on offer.
Yes for 5 nights I would not split stay- I do it on 10+ only.

My advice would be- if you can scrape the cash together- to go with Swan and Dolphin- you will have a superior time than one of the cheaper hotels, and the location cannot be beat. However, the others will be good also and Disney Springs is also very good. There is a reason, for example, that Beach Club and Boardwalk are two of the most popular DVC- that is because the location is the best.

If you are going outside a DDP time, think about staying in Boardwalk and renting points for DVC- either on here or on an agents site like Davids. Then you would be in the best hotels and a lot less money than paying Disney direct. Look on Davids Vacation Club for costings- a company with a stellar reputation, and I sometimes see its adverts on banners on Dibb.
Old 14 Sep 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

The Port Orleans either French Quarter or Riverside might suit you. Less expensive but still lovely, it's a short boat ride from Disney Springs.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d go for one of the Disney springs hotels. I can recommend the buena vista palace hotel. I think it’s a Hilton now. From there you have Disney springs next door but also a 5 mins uber to the crossroads just outside Disney which has lots of non Disney restaurants at normal prices. You can even walk it in around 15 mins.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List