Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 15, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Sinead and Steve’s Wedding Planning Journal - A UK Theme Park Wedding 11th June 2016 (Update 6/6)

As my wedding is officially 10 months away from today (! ), I thought I’d better begin my wedding planning journal as we’ve changed our minds thousands of times already! It’s not a Florida wedding, but I hope you don’t mind me sharing in here 😀

Just realised there's no recent picture of us in here!

Our Story

Firstly, I would like to apologise as certain parts of this story will only make sense if you were an emo inclined teen between 2001- 2010

Me and Steve met all the way back in 2004… at a Blink 182 concert! It was by chance we met, as one of Steve’s friends dropped out and he went last minute, and I was originally going with a different set of friends, but swapped to go with our mutual friend as I didn’t want to stand! Most stories would end there, but the path was a bit more rocky for us!

We ‘saw’ each other for the first time in 2006, but we didn’t start going out properly until 2008, for a number of reasons that all resulted from both me and Steve being pretty stringent followers of the ‘playing it cool’ approach… to the extent that I would never start an msn conversation with him, god forbid he thought I was interested! After a few years of this, we ended up going out properly in February 2008… and we have been very happy since! Sadly I don’t have any photos of us from when we met, but I have a few from when we started going out!

After a few years, we were both earning enough money that I could finally experience one of my biggest wants - Disneyland trips! We started with Paris, then in 2014 we took an amazing trip to Florida, where Steve proposed just after watching wishes from California Grill. My full trip report is here, but I’ll copy the proposal section:

After wishes, Steve said he wanted to hold back until the deck was empty to take some pictures. While everyone was leaving, I took some too because in my book, there’s no such thing as enough photos! Once everyone had gone inside, Steve said he had a question for me. I said “whaaaaat” and he said, “will you let me try and make you as happy as I can for the rest of your life”… and pulled out a ring! I said yes of course! He picked the ring all by himself, it was perfect, and it fit too, I was so proud of him! It was absolutely perfect. It was the perfect proposal. I notoriously despise being the centre of attention, so I was so happy and grateful that he’d done it somewhere where it was quiet, while still managing to pick the most amazing and special place in Walt Disney World. I had guessed it might be coming (even more so when I saw a jewellery invoice on the sideboard that was swiftly removed after I asked about it), but I was so wowed with how he’d chosen to propose.

It was a perfect proposal, I was so happy and of course I said yes! After we got home from our amazing holiday, our thoughts turned to the wedding!

Index:

Making Decisions
5 Days to Go!
Photography
Honeymoon
Save the Dates
The Dress
Little Bits
Big Update
Family Hen and more bits
Pre Wedding Shoot
50 Days to go
5 Days to go

Edited at 10:45 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

I was a massive Blink 182 fan in my teenage years loving the start of your journal, can't wait to hear more about the wedding plans!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Little_Miss
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Looking forward to reading your plans 😍
Little_Miss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
I was a massive Blink 182 fan in my teenage years loving the start of your journal, can't wait to hear more about the wedding plans!
Hahaha they were pretty cool! Thanks, I'm actually really enjoying writing it!

Originally Posted by Little_Miss View Post
Looking forward to reading your plans 😍
Thanks for reading!

Edited at 10:35 AM.
Old 11 Aug 15, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Making Decisions

I had never dreamed about getting married or imagined what our wedding would look like, so we found planning our wedding very hard! I know it’s a bit of a cliche, but I had literally only considered being married to Steve, the wedding never came into it! In fact, when we returned we booked a WDW holiday for 2015! After a few weeks, we decided that we didn’t want to put off booking our wedding until after we came back, so we started searching!

We found deciding between a UK and destination wedding super hard! We started looking at venues in the UK at first, but the majority of the ones we liked were way out of our price range… literally double what we wanted to spend, so we started looking at Florida! We were pretty set on Florida for about 6 months, I’m going to show you what our day would have looked like as it was a pretty ace plan! Originally we were set on an escape wedding, as I really wanted a park shoot, but then they opened park shoots up to any bride, so this would have been our plan!

We were originally going to get married at Cypress Grove:

With a private reception at House of Blues..

And finally a wishes dessert party at the Grand Floridian!

We were going to have The Roots as our photographers, and Trinity for video, and also a magic kingdom shoot! It would have been amazing haha!

We’d been heavily hinting to all our friends and family, but the reactions we got were mixed! We knew a lot of our friends couldn’t think of anything worse than going to Florida (strange people), but quite a lot of them said they would make the trip out which was really nice! The really thorny issue was our families. My parents are divorced, and there is no love lost, and my Mum was not into the idea of having to spend a few days with my Dad! Steve’s family weren’t too keen on the idea either. We were pretty undeterred, as at this point our Florida wedding plan was the only thing we liked so far, so the plan was still all go!

But then, one afternoon I was browsing twitter and noticed that Drayton Manor did weddings! If you don’t know, Drayton Manor is a theme park in Staffordshire, it’s not at Disney levels but it’s a pretty fun day out! I did a bit of research and found these amazing photos… you can have your wedding photos in the park!

I noticed that they were having a wedding fayre that weekend (which was pretty spooky as they only happen twice a year), so we decided to have a look! We were still set on Florida at this point, but we decided to see if Drayton Manor could turn our heads!

We went along, and we loved it! The room we looked at is fantastic, and has panoramic views of the park. We also really liked that we would get a private bar and terrace area, and the the price is really reasonable. We decided to wait a week before booking, but we were pretty sure we’d found our wedding venue!
Old 12 Aug 15, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Yay, love the idea of Drayton Manor! Looking forward to reading more plans
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Those pics would sway me tooa
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Sounds a fab location.
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker89
Proud to wear my Ears

Really looking forward to reading this.

I'm currently planning my wedding and I feel completely the same about always thinking of marriage but not the wedding.
Beaker89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

What an amazing wedding venue, had to google it after seeing this... looks perfect!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread