Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 May 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
Thanks for posting this.
We're taking my daughters friend in October.
This is giving me sleepless nights lol...
So sorry for asking a stupid question. Should the letter be typed or handwritten ? Or does it really make any difference.
Mine are typed but I doubt if makes a difference if it’s typed or written
Old 8 May 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
Mine are typed but I doubt if makes a difference if it’s typed or written
Thank you so much. xx
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think sometimes the officers are more subtle and like someone else has said, make a judgment call. I certainly remember immigration at MCO questioning how boys in a subtle manner, for example asking them who I was etc
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princ3ss D
VIP Dibber

We have been questioned on numerous occasions returning to Manchester from holiday (we must stand out ) and we are the parents with our two kids with us. I personally don't mind it and gives me peace of mind they are watching out and asking questions. However, it did become quite comical when they asked my 5 year who we were and she turned to me and said 'what's your name again' that would be 'mummy' but she thought she had to tell the officer my full name and couldn't remember!

We have also travelled with my parents and took my niece to Florida with us and we were asked for a letter which we had from my sister together with copies of their passports and birth certificate.
Princ3ss D is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by baboons View Post
Why do people complain so much about something designed to protect children? Just because you don't see or understand all the protocols and training doesn't mean they're not
worthwhile.
I might be missing something but it seems a tad pointless grilling people as they're coming back into the UK.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by baboons View Post
Why do people complain so much about something designed to protect children? Just because you don't see or understand all the protocols and training doesn't mean they're not worthwhile.

Same as going in to the US: follow the guidance, be polite, answer the questions and you'll be on your way.
The reason I have referred to it as ridiculous is due to the fact that not once have they ever asked politely it’s always been rude or sarcastic such as the example mentioned.

Also because in this day and age it should be electronically dealt with and not relying on humans to ask a couple of questions. Anyone with parental responsibility should have their passports linked to their childrens, they ask for the parents passport details on application so shouldn’t be too much of a reach and for Grandparents or friends there should be a pre authorization system in the same way as an ESTA before travel that allows the child to travel. I personally would have no issue paying for this.

I 100% have no issue with taking all the identification possible to travel with my child but it’s by no means foolproof and the way I’ve been questioned on re entering the UK has been humiliating at times.

Edited at 11:17 PM.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
I might be missing something but it seems a tad pointless grilling people as they're coming back into the UK.
Maybe something to do with trafficking children into the UK, modern day slavery!
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Maybe worth a read for some

assets.publishing.service.go...EB_final .pdf
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I don't wish this to be having a go at any previous posters, but am conscious some may see it is criticism, but it really isn't. If people stop to appreciate more, the job the officers do, they can by extension help themselves.
There's a couple of things I always remember when dealing with officers, at both ends. They have hundreds of people an hour to assess. They don't want to be the officer that puts their job at risk by letting in a murderer, and they don't want to be the officer that gets in trouble for taking half an hour over everyone making sure they aren't a murderer. They have a hell of a balance to strike making quick but accurate judgments.

Getting a reaction from you and assessing that reaction is part and parcel of what they do, they are not being rude, they are doing their job. They are there to protect their relevant countries, not to welcome people. Would you rather they make it easier for someone to escape with your kids because they are scared of coming across as impolite?

When we took our nephews, we had a tatty letter that was hand written. It could have been forged, but I am certain that if I were producing a forged document they'd be able to tell, not necessarily by looking at the document, but by looking at me as I was asked or as I got it out! I made sure that the letter had some information that they could use to independently verify I was genuine if they so wished. They didn't even want to see it. We said these are our nephews, the officer asked them and they said yes they were, and he was happy we were genuine.

Finally I find it very easy to ignore any officer comments because I keep in mind that I am one of hundreds they will see that shift, the officer has a shift to finish, and I'm lucky enough to have either just had 2 weeks of fun in Florida, or have it to look forward to !
Old 9 May 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I absolutely see the need for checking legitimacy of ‘relationships’ to keep children safe; I think there’s less reason when the children have the same surname as the adult(s) they are travelling.

Interestingly, I have only been asked (more that my children have) since I’ve travelled with them as a single parent.

There is no place for hostile or sarcastic questioning, though, that is the same attitude we have in our prison service - we’ve only ever been asked in Orlando, and the officer did it in a hilarious way which made the children laugh (and maybe to build trust? A good idea! )
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List