Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 15 Mar 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lollina
Excited about Disney

Mobile Actual Value of QSDP?

Anyone ever added up what the cost would have been of the food consumed on the QSDP if had of paid out of pocket?

This is something I was planning on doing for the 3 of us this year but that trip probably won't go ahead now.
If we are able to change our dates this year it will be most likely outside of the free dining offer so wanting to know if the qs dining plan would be worth paying for. We are two adults and an 11 year old and we don't share food.
We've done the ddp before and had some credits left over but we did a lot of buffets and all you care to enjoy.
If anyone knows of any trip reports which have added up the cost of the qsdp I'd be grateful if you could point me in that direction.

Thank you!
Old 15 Mar 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellemum
Excited about Disney

We have had the QSDP free 3 times we normally go for 14 days and spend 2 days at universal - we always have loads of credits left - however this year we are just doing Disney for 10 days in Sept and as we only booked in January we have paid the the QSDP. If you are going to pay work out how many meals you will be having offsite - if it’s quite a few I probably wouldn’t buy it - but if you are planning to mainly eat at Disney it is. It’s just nice to know you haven’t got to pay once you get there.
Bellemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wouldn’t pay for QSDP unless you think you’d get good use out of the credits. A lot of people with free QSDP pay for some TS meals so if you think you’d do that I definitely wouldn’t pay.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lollina
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We would be wholly onsite for 14 days, 2 table service meals planned only.
Old 15 Mar 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by lollina View Post
We would be wholly onsite for 14 days, 2 table service meals planned only.
And that’s 2 TS meals you’d be paying for over and above the cost of QSDP. I think the only value in paying for it is knowing food is taken care of.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
The average QS entree value is $15 after tax.
A fountain soda to go with it is $4.25.
A "fancier" drink such as an orange juice or a bottled water is around $5.85.
If you are inclined to have an alcoholic drink a beer (Bud etc) will be around $9 with a glass of wine coming in at a average of $10.

Assume you have 1 daytime QS with a soda, and an evening QS with a beer - that's $43.25 per day per person.

Snack credits all depend on what you like to eat or drink. Popular choices are
The Dole Whip at $5.31 or the Dole Pineapple Float at $6.38
Specialty Cupcakes are $6.38
Standard Muffin/Cupcake $4.25
Funnel Cake $6.89
Ice Cream Sandwich $6.91
Root beer float/frozen slush drink $5.31
Bottled Soda $4.25
Egg Rolls $4.25
Pot Stickers $5.85
Fruit Salad $8.50
Chicken Fried Rice $5.63
Brownie Sundae $7.98
Egg, Cheese and Bacon Croissant $9.05
Quiche Lorraine $6.93
Venti Drink at Starbucks average $6

The average cost of a snack item is $6.24 and you get 2 per day so that's $12.48.

You also get your refillable resort mug. Even if you only fill twice a day, that's a saving of $8.60. The price to purchase the mug is $21.29 to buy for the whole stay.

So that's
$43 for food
$12.48 on snacks
$8.60 on drinks in the resort
TOTAL $64 per day per person.

If you are going to have two Table Service meals, it might be worth considering purchasing the regular dining plan. Sometimes the cost to upgrade is the equivalent of just two meals, and then you have some more flexibility should you want to have other TS meals. We upgraded last visit and for the 5 days it was £60 per person. That was less than the two table service meals we had looked at which were 'Ohana and Hollywood and Vine at $59 each. A TS credit can be used at a QS location, but not the other way around. I don't know the price difference if purchasing outright, rather than upgrading.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Following with interest!
Old 15 Mar 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lollina
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
The average QS entree value is $15 after tax.
A fountain soda to go with it is $4.25.
A "fancier" drink such as an orange juice or a bottled water is around $5.85.
If you are inclined to have an alcoholic drink a beer (Bud etc) will be around $9 with a glass of wine coming in at a average of $10.

Assume you have 1 daytime QS with a soda, and an evening QS with a beer - that's $43.25 per day per person.

Snack credits all depend on what you like to eat or drink. Popular choices are
The Dole Whip at $5.31 or the Dole Pineapple Float at $6.38
Specialty Cupcakes are $6.38
Standard Muffin/Cupcake $4.25
Funnel Cake $6.89
Ice Cream Sandwich $6.91
Root beer float/frozen slush drink $5.31
Bottled Soda $4.25
Egg Rolls $4.25
Pot Stickers $5.85
Fruit Salad $8.50
Chicken Fried Rice $5.63
Brownie Sundae $7.98
Egg, Cheese and Bacon Croissant $9.05
Quiche Lorraine $6.93
Venti Drink at Starbucks average $6

The average cost of a snack item is $6.24 and you get 2 per day so that's $12.48.

You also get your refillable resort mug. Even if you only fill twice a day, that's a saving of $8.60. The price to purchase the mug is $21.29 to buy for the whole stay.

So that's
$43 for food
$12.48 on snacks
$8.60 on drinks in the resort
TOTAL $64 per day per person.

If you are going to have two Table Service meals, it might be worth considering purchasing the regular dining plan. Sometimes the cost to upgrade is the equivalent of just two meals, and then you have some more flexibility should you want to have other TS meals. We upgraded last visit and for the 5 days it was £60 per person. That was less than the two table service meals we had looked at which were 'Ohana and Hollywood and Vine at $59 each. A TS credit can be used at a QS location, but not the other way around. I don't know the price difference if purchasing outright, rather than upgrading.
Thanks for this, I did consider upgrading to the ddp but the cost for us for the 14 days was approx £750 so it was cheaper to pay oop for the meals, plus if I had the ddp I'd want to make the most of it and found it very tying last time.
If I work on $64 pppd, which I think is realistic, I think it would be worth it for us.
Old 16 Mar 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post

I can see how their could be some sense in purchasing the DDP, for example if thinking of a few expensive character meals or having the steak or lobster at signatures. It could easily be used to pay for itself.

But there is no opportunity like that on QSDP, meal costs don’t vary much and it is probably priced about right. However I would keep the flexibility of paying OOP, that way you can eat where you want and pick whatever you want off the menu, e.g. we like to share a few starters between two rather than have a main each sometimes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Personally I'd say the plans only work if that was what you were going to have anyway, you change your eating habits to suit the plan IYKWIM on the QSDP for instance, would you have an alcoholic drink or speciality drink normally or are you only having to max out the plan? DDP would you always have a dessert & again that alcoholic drink? The answer for us is No so the plans in effect don't save us any money
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List