Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Mar 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

Money sent to wrong bank account - nightmare

My grandmother recently went to her bank to transfer some money to me as a gift (quite a bit). We went over and over that she had the right account number and sort code, me reading it to her and getting her to quote it back to me from what she had written... I was talking to her tonight and she told me that she did the transfer last Monday and so I checked just now and it isn't in my account. I hadn't realised she was planning to go this week and do it. I got her to check the piece of paper she had and it turns out she has out some digits down incorrectly or can't read her handwriting so she has basically got her bank to transfer the money to the wrong account!

Is the money lost or is there anything we can do to get it back? I'm upset its happened but feel worse for her as shes 86, having a hard time with the isolation situation at the mo and this will destroy her...

Edited at 10:26 PM.
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

you should be able to get it back. I had someone transfer some money into my account once. I highlighted it to the bank and they took it back. if the other person had highlighted it too they would have acted apparently
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

It depends if it bounced back? If no such account exists it will do that. If it does then that’s where it will go.
The trouble is with GDPR she will have to ring and try to get them to see if it has bounced or where it has gone.
If they haven’t contacted her I expect it has gone 8nto someone’s account. If so the bank will try and get them to return it.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
you should be able to get it back. I had someone transfer some money into my account once. I highlighted it to the bank and they took it back. if the other person had highlighted it too they would have acted apparently
Fingers crossed! Lets hope they are as honest as you x
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
It depends if it bounced back? If no such account exists it will do that. If it does then that’s where it will go.
The trouble is with GDPR she will have to ring and try to get them to see if it has bounced or where it has gone.
If they haven’t contacted her I expect it has gone 8nto someone’s account. If so the bank will try and get them to return it.
Yeah she hasn't had a call to say the money was being returned to her so guessing it must have gone into a real account, that or it wasn't a real account and its just been returned straight away without a call
Old 28 Mar 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

What has the bank said?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

Its all sorted, after a long wait she got through and the money bounced back into her account but they don't notify you... shes 86 so doesn't have online banking to check, phew... thanks
Old 28 Mar 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinkydog
Excited about Disney

Usually if incorrect account details have been processed and an account doesn't exist with the details she has incorrectly used then it will bounce back into her account.

So it might be worth her checking her bank account first just in case.
Slinkydog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

I worked in a bank for 25 years and I tell everyone to this day, if you’re setting up a new payee, send £1 only as the first payment. Then ask the person who you’ve sent it to to confirm receipt, then and only then, send the rest of the money.

That way if the information is incorrect, you’ve lost a £1. I understand banks are bringing in new regulations on money transfer soon so this may not be necessary going forward but I always err on the side of caution x

Edit. Glad you have it back. Huge relief xx

Edited at 10:37 AM.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
I worked in a bank for 25 years and I tell everyone to this day, if you’re setting up a new payee, send £1 only as the first payment. Then ask the person who you’ve sent it to to confirm receipt, then and only then, send the rest of the money.

That way if the information is incorrect, you’ve lost a £1. I understand banks are bringing in new regulations on money transfer soon so this may not be necessary going forward but I always err on the side of caution x

Edit. Glad you have it back. Huge relief xx
This is what I do ..
Great advice!
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List