Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 20, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Ruth Bader Ginsburg. RIP

What an incredible woman.
The world will be poorer for her passing.

She is, of course, irreplaceable. The question of succession is a very challenging one with very wide consequences indeed.

BBC News - Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Supreme Court Justice dies
bbc/news/world-us-canada-49488374

Edited at 02:15 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Second that. The Incredible RBG. It is so sad, she truly was an amazing woman who stood for the rights of those who were unable to stand for themselves and was a trailblazer for women’s rights.
Lord knows what will happen to the US justice system now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Be very interesting to see what Trump does. Obama had the opportunity to replace a justice at the end of his presidency but didn’t, instead leaving it to the next president. I suspect Trump will have no qualms in showing the democrats the bird on his way out.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyYoda View Post
Be very interesting to see what Trump does. Obama had the opportunity to replace a justice at the end of his presidency but didn’t, instead leaving it to the next president. I suspect Trump will have no qualms in showing the democrats the bird on his way out.
Obama didn't leave it to the next president, the Republican controlled senate refused to confirm his pick of Merrick Garland, saying it should be left to the voters and the next president, despite there being, in that case, 9 months to the election and 11 to the installation of the new administration.

I don't think Mitch McConnell is above a little hypocrisy to get another Conservative judge onto the Supreme Court.

Edited at 08:43 AM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Is this in the right forum?
Seems more Politics.

I for one have no interest in the American judicial system with its division along party lines, how can it ever be impartial?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Is this in the right forum?
Seems more Politics.

I for one have no interest in the American judicial system with its division along party lines, how can it ever be impartial?
I disagree. The world will mourn the death of a remarkable woman.

Even now showing just how remarkable, with both sides of the American political scene coming forward to mourn her passing.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I disagree. The world will mourn the death of a remarkable woman.

Even now showing just how remarkable, with both sides of the American political scene coming forward to mourn her passing.
She was a remarkable woman and her impact was felt over here and Europe without any doubt . It will take some doing to find an equally intelligent and empathetic replacement (not sure that is the correct word as she could never really be replaced) - the world is mourning today

Edited at 10:32 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Obama didn't leave it to the next president, the Republican controlled senate refused to confirm his pick of Merrick Garland, saying it should be left to the voters and the next president, despite there being, in that case, 9 months to the election and 11 to the installation of the new administration.

I don't think Mitch McConnell is above a little hypocrisy to get another Conservative judge onto the Supreme Court.
You are right...in my mind he’d not nominated. Well...let’s see what the senate does this time 😂
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think the news that she has passed is sad and should be talked about (the celebration of how she changed American life) in either this forum or chat.

The discussion about who replaces and what they stand for should be in politics
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

A remarkable woman, whose death could have far reaching consequences. RIP the Notorious RBG.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List