Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 1 Nov 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Cruising is fab, once you have done one you will want to do another.

Check web sites such as Cruise 118, Planet Cruise, Iglucruise, Cruise Critic, Cruise 1st Uk to get an idea of prices and where you want to go.
Shorter cruises from the UK tend to sail around Brugge and Jersey, as Mick says for the Med you will need a 7 day cruise.
Do you want AI or just FB?, tips added or not?, again companies differ what they offer. For me personally I wouldn't have an inside cabin, but they are the cheaper option so look at prices for both, some offer tea and coffee in rooms some don't.
A good choice to start would be to look at Thomson, smaller ships (the big ships are just that BIG) and most offer AI and tips included.
Old 1 Nov 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Some fantastic tips here, thanks all.

I'd be quite happy to source flights myself, it's just the cruise booking I'm a bit wary of, but perhaps I'm over-worrying.

So to summarise so far -
You can be as 'dressy' as you like - smart casual is fine, NCL are less informal
Check what is actually included (tips / drinks), and whether it's really value for money.
Balcony would be best (unless we win the Lottery and get a suite - the baby grand pianos in some of those make me laugh) if we aren't restricted too much on our budget.
Be wary of extra costs, e.g. tips (if not included), shore excursions
I think I need to sit down with DH and come up with a 'when' and 'roughly where' and then what comes up on the searches will determine 'how long'.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
You can be as un dressy as you want and not even set foot in the formal dining room if you don't want to, there will be some sort of food 24hrs.

Sort your excursions once you have your cruise sorted.

I usually book flights and the cruise as a package if it is the Med (not sure what would happen if the flight was delayed as I'm not important enough for the ship to wait for me I wouldn't have a clue what to do etc) and DIY if we leave from the US as we usually spend a few days in the area before we cruise.
Old 2 Nov 17, 05:00 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Prepare to get hooked
Another thing to look out for is to check the location of your cabin. Try to avoid getting a cabin directly above a music venue or directly under the pool area as these can be noisy.
We love having a balcony and for us, it really adds to the whole cruising experience.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 17, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’m also hoping to start cruising next summer.

Another thought, my parents cruised out of Venice a few years ago but it was an indirect flight. There luggage was lost on the way and took 10 days to find them! It kept arriving in ports after they had left. They’d booked a package with MSC so the luggage followed them but I don’t know what would have happened if they were DIY.

My thought is if it’s indirect I’d want to go at least the day before to give luggage time to arrive, and definitely have more than a few essentials in a carry-on. Lack of luggage really ruined their experience.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
My thought is if it’s indirect I’d want to go at least the day before to give luggage time to arrive, and definitely have more than a few essentials in a carry-on.
Definitely. We do one night pre cruise in Europe and two nights in the US as a minimum. It's not just if the luggage doesn't arrive, it's also making provision if flights are delayed or cancelled.
We've only ever had one flight cancellation going to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise, we got in a day late but still had two days before the cruise departed.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Cruise nation is another good UK to look at pricing. One year I got a balcony cabin with a hotel for 11 nights plus 1 night hotel for £900 each in August school hols.

I also use viva voyage UK and Viva voyage.com.

I agree about Venice for your first cruise, it's a bit like Disney there is something magical about the place.

For your first cruise stick with the American lines.

If you compare to Disney hotels I like to think of them like this.

Carnival, NCL and RCL as moderates

Princess, Celebrity as delux

Disney think Grand Floridian (service & food and shows) the Magic is a bit small for me now but it is a lovely ship all the same.

Symphony of the Seas is in the Med next year, it looks amazing but it's very big.

The older smaller ships sail from Venice.

Hop over to cruise critic and scroll through people's reviews to see what you fancy.

Last year I went on NCL Spirit very small older ship and really enjoyed it, casual dining, good shows and the food was mainly good. We visited some amazing ports, Israel (overnight) Rhodes, Crete, Cyrpus, Split, Kotor and Venice. As always met some lovely people.

As others have said fly in a day or so before if DIY.

If booking cruise independently I find it best to book directly with the cruise line in the US, that way you can get price drops or upgrades and even move rooms, depending upon which cruise line you use.

You cannot book Princess in the US you have to book in the UK and pay substantially more, it's a real peeve of mine.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse

Edited at 10:11 PM.
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
You cannot book Princess in the US you have to book in the UK and pay substantially more, it's a real peeve of mine.
...and mine. Regional pricing they call it - it's galling that some passengers have access to better pricing, promotions and conditions for the same product, simply because of where they live.
Cruise lines operate in a global market, why don't we get similar treatment? Here endeth the rant!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
I vote with my feet, I won't cruise with Princess. (Although I'd love to ).
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Following this thread, as we're tempted to dip our tootsies in the holiday cruise holidays.

Thinking of the med at the moment, but the choice is so daunting!

Deb