Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 23 Jul 16, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Omg this is SO EXCITING! We travel out there at the same time this year...i haven't been before, tell me everything! Were you there for thanksgiving? Did it snow? I literally cannot wait for the rest of this report 😍
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 16, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Travel Day: Rosie O'Grady's Saloon

7th Avenue Times Square.

We arrived at our hotel (Novotel Times Square) and unpacked before thinking about dinner. Being pretty tired we chose to go for a quick meal at one of our favourites from our first trip - Rosie O'Grady's. It's only about 1 street over from the hotel so it made sense.

It looks like a bog standard Irish pub from the outside.

It is actually pretty posh and caught us out first time. We had turned up in travel day clothes and trainers etc expecting a quick burger, whereas everyone else was a little more dressed up so we made the effort to get changed this time.

Starting with yummy bread.

To drink we had table water and ordered a bottle of wine.

We love Riseling and this was very nice indeed.

We both got the Petit 8oz Filet Minon ($32.95ea). Mine with roast potatoes, Andy's with fries.

We both ordered medium and they came out cooked perfectly.

The steak was amazing. Really soft & flavourful. A bit of an extravagant first meal admittedly but it's good to start things off with a bang (especially on a 30th Birthday trip!).

We also shared a side of garlicky sauteed mushrooms which were awesome.

Another fantastic meal at Rosie O'Grady's.

Edited at 04:10 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 16, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Travel Day: Duane Reade Snacks

Duane Reade is a supermarket/pharmacy much like Walgreen's in Florida. You cannot go more than 5 minutes without spotting a branch, they are everywhere.

There happened to be one a few doors down from our hotel so we popped by to pick up essential supplies. Amongst the water and other bits and bobs was these:

Yum! These two flavours were so good. The Eggnog was white chocolate with a hint of nutmeg. The Peppermint bark was predominantly white chocolate but had a thin layer of milk choc on the back and has little crunchy mint bits inside. *drool* The pumpkin spice was nice but nowhere near as good as the other two.

Wow these were so addictive & I ate loads before taking them off myself. Sadly these flavours are seasonal for Christmas though so we won't be able to get them again when we go to Florida as we go sept/oct.

Back in the room we had been left these by management for Andy's Birthday which was a lovely touch.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 16, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1 (Thanksgiving): Brooklyn Diner

57th Street.

So today was Thanksgiving. We had planned to leave the hotel and go for a wander up near to Central Park to see if we could see some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I won't go into to much detail but that was a no go. We totally underestimated the crowds this attracted, not to mention most streets near us were cordoned off. If you could get through the people onto a street you were then completely stuck. It was hugely stressful just trying to get away from the area.

We eventually escaped and were starving so despite not being breakfast people we stopped into Brooklyn Diner on 57th Street. It was not planned, we just happened to walk by.

It was really cute from outside.

It was quite busy but thankfully we were seated at a tiny two top straight away. It was very snug in there!

I loved the little festive touches in the windows.

We started with coffee and got regular free refills.

Andy ordered the Sausage Eggs Benedict. ($19.95)

Housemade italian sausage, hollandaise sauce, english muffin.

He enjoyed it. The sausage was moist and had a nice herby (almost aniseedy) flavour.

For me was the "The Mixed Marriage of Irving & Gina" ($19.95)

Two eggs baked in challah toast, housemade italian sausage, marinara sauce, peppers, onions, crispy corn polenta, pomodoro sauce

Love love love! The Challah toast topped with peppers and the eggs baked inside that were still runny was great. It came with the herby sausage that was Andy's dish which I also really liked. Marinara sauce doesn't usually make an appearance at Breakfast but after eating this dish, I think it should! Some hot sauce added and I was a very happy girl. I didn't have any stomach space to try the polenta though, I was stuffed.

This meal wasn't cheap for breakfast but it kept us full for so long. We didn't eat again until late in the evening.

Edited at 04:11 PM.
Old 23 Jul 16, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1 (Thanksgiving): Buffalo Wild Wings

47th Street.

We wanted to go to Juniors but you couldn't even get near the door it was that busy. We wandered a few streets over and instead spotted Buffalo Wild Wings.

We sat in a little side booth.

There were hardly any people in but the staff were truly in Thanksgiving holiday mode and were very slow and hardly around in the dining room.

I had some sort of orangey cocktail.

We couldn't decide between normal wings or the boneless so both went for the Traditional and Boneless wings combo which lets you have both! Each was served with fries & coleslaw for $15.99.

If I remember correctly we both picked the Spicy garlic for our normal wings. I had Asian Zing on my boneless whereas Andy had Sweet BBQ.

Despite being about half way up the spice scale my two choices were really quite spicy! I really like spicy food thankfully. I think Andy was glad he chose the BBQ alongside of the Spicy garlic to give his mouth a bit of a break.

It was good value as there was so much food and we took some leftovers to go. Our first experience of BWW and it gets

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Old 24 Jul 16, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
You've now gone and made me want to add Buffalo Wild Wings to my ever increasing list of places!
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 16, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I cannot believe I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings. Buffalo wings are basically my favourite food ever. NEED.

That plane food looks absolutely horrific. We flew United to NYC a couple of years ago and our food was nowhere near as bad as that. If we fly with them again I will make sure I'm suitably prepared with plane snacks!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a great report! I am so hungry now 😊
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 16, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Loving this report, will be my first time in New York this year and we are also staying at the Novotel.
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 16, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LozSteelers View Post
Loving this report, will be my first time in New York this year and we are also staying at the Novotel.
You will love it! The hotel is gorgeous & in a great location.

There are loads of hotel pics in my previous "cats out the bag" trip report (link in my signature) if you fancy a look.