Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 14, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

*UPDATED* Abuse On (Non Dibb) Chat Forum

I've just found a horribly abusive post naming me specifically on another (non Dibb) chat forum. It uses appalling language and its most insulting.

Apart from reporting it to a moderator (which I have) - do I have any legal redress ?

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 08:36 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 14, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
technium
Excited about Disney

Sorry cant help but didnt want to read and run. Before its too late make sure you print screen shots etc incase you decide to take it further so you can use it as evidence.

Shame not every forum is as friendly and helpful as the Dibb.
technium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 14, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by technium View Post
Sorry cant help but didnt want to read and run. Before its too late make sure you print screen shots etc incase you decide to take it further so you can use it as evidence.

Shame not every forum is as friendly and helpful as the Dibb.
Thanks I'll do that now . I can't believe what some people write - I don't even think they know me - they have just have seen something I've written elsewhere on line on an unconnected web site.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 14, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Why do some morons think it's OK to hide behind a computer screen and abuse someone?
I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid, but wish you luck in sorting something out and sending you a cyber hug.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 14, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
I've just found a horribly abusive post naming me specifically on another (non Dibb) chat forum. It uses appalling language and it most insulting.

Apart from reporting it to a moderator (which I have) - do I have any legal redress ?
en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Malic...tions_Act_1988
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 14, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

You could take a case for defamation. However, our firm's cost estimate for such a case is around £60,000 (for information only, I'm not touting for work) and the risk is huge as defamation is notoriously difficult to prove. First of all you'd have to find the person who wrote the defamatory statement, not easy when they're a screen name on a website. Then you've got to prove the defamation. The presence of the material on the website isn't sufficient - you also have to satisfy the Court that the person being defamed is identifiable as you (and in this case that would mean you personally, not you the person who posts under a particular name). You'd also have to prove that its caused damage to you (for example damage to a business reputation) or that it has caused fair minded persons to think worse of you - again this is you the person, not you the person who posts on a website.

I would stop using the website in question and move on, life is too short.
Old 7 May 14, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
You could take a case for defamation. However, our firm's cost estimate for such a case is around £60,000 (for information only, I'm not touting for work) and the risk is huge as defamation is notoriously difficult to prove. First of all you'd have to find the person who wrote the defamatory statement, not easy when they're a screen name on a website. Then you've got to prove the defamation. The presence of the material on the website isn't sufficient - you also have to satisfy the Court that the person being defamed is identifiable as you (and in this case that would mean you personally, not you the person who posts under a particular name). You'd also have to prove that its caused damage to you (for example damage to a business reputation) or that it has caused fair minded persons to think worse of you - again this is you the person, not you the person who posts on a website.

I would stop using the website in question and move on, life is too short.
Thanks for the advice

Its not a website I use at all - it was brought to my attention by someone who does use it... as it gives not only my full name, occupation and my location (very small village)..so absoutely is me.

The difficulty is that the poster may well be difficult to trace as may or may not have a permenant address.

Old 7 May 14, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

That's awful , take no notice Hun some people are just mean have clearly have no life's , maybe you could report them for slander?
Old 7 May 14, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

The post has been moderated but it still names me, and though the more disgusting references have gone, its still pretty insulting & upsetting.

Old 7 May 14, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Did you see the link I put above ?
Closed Thread