Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Looking into Royal Caribbean cruise for the first time- tips, opinions?

We haven't even gone on this years holiday and here I am, on this dreary windy Sunday, planning the next!

In 2021 I'm hoping that my cousin, my sister and I will all be heading to Orlando. Both of them aren't crazy about theme parks- though there will be theme park days for my sake - so I'm looking to diversify what we do out there so its not just a theme park holiday.

Both of them have said they want to see beaches, so first of all, I thought about a beach excursion from Orlando for a day but then I started to look into the possibility of going on a cruise to end our holiday. I've always wanted to go on a Caribbean cruise so it definitely wouldn't a hardship for me!

I'm open to all cruise lines but Royal Caribbean has shown up the cheapest- this is pricing it up for Sept 2020 not 2021 as it doesn't look like Sept 2021 have been released yet.

Obviously cheapest isn't always best, and if it's not a great option that I'd rather pay a bit more and be happier.

I am looking at the four-night perfect day and Bahamas cruise- at the moment for three people in one Balcony oceanview stateroom for Sept 2020 is £982.00 total for three people, is this a normal price? It does seem very low, maybe there is a sale going on at the moment?

The other things I'd love to know are; how is the food? How is perfect day at Cococay if you would rather relax then do anything thrilling?

How many things do you have to pay extra for?

These are going from Miami, I have already looked at transfers from Orlando to Miami, but does anyone have an approximate cost?

I know that's a lot of questions, but this is my second day of research and I'm completely new to this so all information is good information!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Why not go on a cruise from Port Canaveral it’s closer to Orlando.

For cruises the biggest is the gratuity it’s 13.50 pp per day alcoholic drinks are between $8 to 14$ plus 18% gratuity.

Old 26 Feb 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I went on one to Cococay last year, it was brilliant. Cococay is fabulous. Lots of beaches, lagoon and giant pool to sit around, latter with a bar in it where the drinks package works. Food was very good, both on the ship and Cococay.
I got the drinks package I think for $40 a day.
I drove to Miami. Multi storey car park, just drove in, no need to book, cases straight down in a lift to the ship.
Apart from the water park tickets ($40 each I think I paid) and gratuities, as well as the drinks package, I did not pay anything else.

Edited at 06:58 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Hi
We did Allure of the seas in December and loved it. I booked the cruise because of the date and that it went to coco cay
It looks like this sept /short cruise from Miami or FL is navigator which is a smaller ship or independence which is big.
The newer big ships are gorgeous if you could manage a week.
We did coco cay and preferred it to castaway
There is the beach seating, around a lagoon? Huge pool. Really is lovely.
Food provided on the island. Very nice.
Nothing to pay on the island unless you want to do the water park/cabanas/ alcohol.
On the ship extra is gratuities per day
Alcohol/speciality coffees/paid for restaurants
There is an option to pay before you go for a deluxe drinks package.
There is normally a drink of the day which is cheaper and on the daily planner.
Orlando to Miami is quite a drive. Have you looked into Port Canaveral

royalcaribbean/gbr/en/cococay-cruises

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Eeyorefanuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone! We won’t be drinking anyway, do you need a drinks package for soft drinks or are they included?

I was looking from Miami as for some reason it’s £100 cheaper overall then port canaveral and an extra day, but if it’s really too much money to get down to Miami I would consider just going from there.

Unfortunately we won’t be driving either, so it will have to be a transfer of some kind. I think there are companies who do coaches from Orlando to Miami though, has anyone done one of them?

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

We looked into it last year and decided against it

The free drinks on your Royal Caribbean cruise include:

tap water
milk
tea
coffee (regular and decaf)
lemonade
iced tea
flavored waters
juices (at breakfast and not fresh squeezed)
Hot chocolate (via instant packets)

There is a soda package you can pay for. Drinks container then option of coke etc

“”The Classic Soda Package includes unlimited fountain soda and refills in any venue, Coca-Cola Freestyle beverages, and a Coca-Cola souvenir cup.””
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age. Corkscrews will be provided for guests to enjoy their drinks in their stateroom. If guests wish to enjoy their wine or champagne in our dining or bar venues, there will be a corkage fee applied.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted.
Old 26 Feb 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

We did this cruise last year on the Navigator and loved it. Extra costs as listed above. Was our first time cruising.

For 3/4 days we did not see need to have a drinks package, and we did not spend a single cent in board, just tips at end... and did not do any excursions. Took own snorkel gear for the wonderful island day, and just explored Nassau on foot for couple of hrs before enjoying a day on the ship.

Food was great!

We flew into Miami as flights were cheaper to there anyway, so sailed from there.

Oh actually... we did buy a WiFi package, but this was covered by on board credit when we booked.prob about £50-£60 for 3 of us.

Would do again in heartbeat... maybe the one that does 2 stops at the island!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside

Edited at 12:14 PM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

2 stops I would love that. Didn’t want to leave 😢

You are right. We have done cruises and hardly spend anything

Now if can do excursions ourselves as cheaper. Just make sure get back to port in plenty of time.

Would love to know what you decide
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

We did 4 dayMariner of the Sea cruise from Port Canaveral.Coco Cay is amazing and the ship had loads to do-it was well worth the money as we spent hardly anything on board and it saved 4 nights hotel costs and food for 3 days.