Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Tony Foulds - feel good Friday story

anyone else been following this

Basically Tony was 8 years old playing in a park in Sheffield during WW2 when an American B17 bomber crashed in the park killing 10 US airmen, they had avoided houses/people by crashing into the park. Tony has maintained the memorial in the park ever since

Today is 75 years anniversary and there was a fly past today

look at how many people turned out, people of Sheffield i salute you!

bbc/news/uk-englan...shire-47323045
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Alllovedisney
slightly serious Dibber

Yes! Really heart warming story. He has dedicated husband life to looking free that memorial. I agree, lovely way to start the day. He should be very proud. What a gent! X
DLP (offsite) Sep 1998 WDW (offsite) Nov 2002 DLP (DCR) Jan 2005 DLP (DCR) Nov 2009 DLP (SF) Oct 2010 DLP (DLH) Feb 2013 St Petes & WDW (SSR) Sep/Aug 2016 DLP (DCR) Sep 2017 DLP (offsite Explorers) Dec 2017 DLP (DCR) May 2018 DLP (DCR) Sep 2018 DLP (HC for Disney Performing Arts) July 2019.
Alllovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I remember this story from my school days, Endcliffe park was one of my stomping grounds growing up, watched the fly past on tv this morning , so pleased so many people went to watch and Tony you are a true gentleman, this man spends a lot of time every week tending to the memorial of the US airmen of Mi Amigo , I got quite emotional watching him choking up on tv this morning ... you did em proud 👍👍👍
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
anyone else been following this

Basically Tony was 8 years old playing in a park in Sheffield during WW2 when an American B17 bomber crashed in the park killing 10 US airmen, they had avoided houses/people by crashing into the park. Tony has maintained the memorial in the park ever since

Today is 75 years anniversary and there was a fly past today

look at how many people turned out, people of Sheffield i salute you!

bbc/news/uk-englan...shire-47323045
Those airmen did a heroic job steering their plane at what must have been a harrowing time into the woods of the park, endcliffe park area is very heavily populated , even 75 years ago , you could probably see that by the helicopter images on tv , there are a lot of old Victorian houses up there... and trees too... that area of Sheffield has been recently in news for the tree felling wars but that’s another story.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Yes! I even had a calendar invite on my phone reminding me to tune in this morning to watch the fly past. Was great 👍

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

I was in the park this morning - thousands of people there from babies to the very old. The atmosphere was incredible and I wasn’t the only person wiping away a tear or two.

Just got home and watched the coverage and cried again.

We should all be more like Tony.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by joxxxxx View Post
I was in the park this morning - thousands of people there from babies to the very old. The atmosphere was incredible and I wasn’t the only person wiping away a tear or two.

Just got home and watched the coverage and cried again.

We should all be more like Tony.
Fantastic ! i was amazed how many folk turned up
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Can I encourage anyone on twitter to help with the push to get Tony recognised for his years of service #gettonyamedal
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is a lovely idea, although it is absolutely clear he isn't doing it for the glory.

The airmen made the ultimate sacrifice and Tony has given up.a lot of time over the years to commemorate this, it would be good to see his actions be recognised.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

It was such a lovely start to the day, watching it as I got ready for work so unfortunately wasn’t able to see the fly past. Am I right in thinking reporter Dan Walker met Tony in the Park walking his dog and got talking to him and that’s what has led to this?
Dayle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List