Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Nov 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

LA, Vegas & New Orleans advice

Looking to do this next year for our 50th birthdays and was wondering if anyone as done this or something similar and has any info/advice they could pass on to us

Thanks in advance
Old 29 Nov 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi - we’ve done LA and Las Vegas a number of times - going to NOLA for the first time next year.

Was there a reason you picked those three? LA and Vegas are an obvious fit together due to geography but not so much NOLA.

Flights very cheap between LA and Vegas (easy but boring drive too).

How long will you have?

Do you want to drive?

What in LA are you targeting - if Disneyland is on the cards, don’t stay in LA - it’s in the city of Anaheim and traffic can be awful between the two.

Avoid weekends in Vegas as hotels are very expensive. Also massive conferences inflate mid week prices.

Where in the U.K. do you want to fly from? And roughly when?

I’d certainly expect a DIY option to be most favourable for prices and flexibility.

Just a few random things to hopefully help the plan :-)

Edited at 06:05 PM.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi - we’ve done LA and Las Vegas a number of times - going to NOLA for the first time next year.

Was there a reason you picked those three? LA and Vegas are an obvious fit together due to geography but not so much NOLA.

Flights very cheap between LA and Vegas (easy but boring drive too).

How long will you have?

Do you want to drive?

What in LA are you targeting - if Disneyland is on the cards, don’t stay in LA - it’s in the city of Anaheim and traffic can be awful between the two.

Avoid weekends in Vegas as hotels are very expensive. Also massive conferences inflate mid week prices.

Where in the U.K. do you want to fly from? And roughly when?

I’d certainly expect a DIY option to be most favourable for prices and flexibility.

Just a few random things to hopefully help the plan :-)
We've always fancied going to NOLA so was thinking about flying there first for three days sometime in October and then off to LA (five days) and then Vegas (five days)

We've done Vegas several times so know the score there, So basically looking for info where to stay in NOLA, LA would be for knotts berry farm and disney plus I'd really want to go to a gig/nights out at rainbow/whiskey/HOB and what airlines would be the best option for the multi flights

Thanks for the reply
Old 30 Nov 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

We haven’t tried that combo but did try. Weeks road trip through Texas to Nola and back a different route to take in the Houston Rodeo. Singapore fly direct from Manchester and flights are very reasonable. Loved Nola and southern Texas and the gulf well worth seeing.

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ladyofleisure View Post
We haven’t tried that combo but did try. Weeks road trip through Texas to Nola and back a different route to take in the Houston Rodeo. Singapore fly direct from Manchester and flights are very reasonable. Loved Nola and southern Texas and the gulf well worth seeing.
Where would you recommend to stay in NOLA?
Old 30 Nov 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Not done Vegas but have done LA and New Orleans ( 3rd trip there this year). NOLA just isn’t really “near” anywhere so a tricky one . This year we flew in from Orlando and then we did a loop up to Shreveport and back again via Baton Rouge. Previously we flew there from Nashville. Have written about last two visits in my trippies and will be writing up our third visit very shortly !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Not done Vegas but have done LA and New Orleans ( 3rd trip there this year). NOLA just isn’t really “near” anywhere so a tricky one . This year we flew in from Orlando and then we did a loop up to Shreveport and back again via Baton Rouge. Previously we flew there from Nashville. Have written about last two visits in my trippies and will be writing up our third visit very shortly !
Any advice on NOLA & LA would be greatly appreciated
Old 2 Dec 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

We stayed here for 4 nights good location pretty hotel too “Holiday Inn French Quarter-Chateau LeMoyne “enjoy your planning, we did Orlando then NOLA, then back to Orlando
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We chose not to stay in the FQ in NOLA as it was more than I wanted to pay, but after extensive research (as I wanted to be an easy walk to the FQ) we are in the CBD (Central Business District) at

old77hotel/

Which looks lovely but I’ve not stayed yet.

For flights I’d just book whoever is cheapest. Think BA is the only option direct to NOLA from UK. We are flying indirect (cheaper) on a combo of VA and Delta. I’d possibly price up independent flights between NOLA and LA - if your main target is Anaheim you’d be better flying into SNA than LAX (closer). I don’t know if South West fly that route but we’ve found their flights decent.

We’ve stayed at lots of places near DL, always within walking distance and there are many many options. We’ve also stayed onsite but the prices are high and I am happy offsite which also gives access to cheaper dining. Prices in Anaheim I find OK. Knotts is close to Disney, UBER would be very cheap if you don’t have a car. I remember it only taking ten mins or so.

I can’t help with the Rainbow room as we’ve not done that.
Old 2 Dec 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

we took a road trip to NOLA from Orlando in Sept. Driving took about 8-9 hours or so from Orlando. Since we had a car we stayed out a lovely hotel near the airport, about 8 miles from the centre. we parked in a parking garage attached to the Sheraton hotel near the river. we did the river cruise on the Natchez which was great, also the hop on off bus tour which was a good way to see everything. the french quarter is handy just for wandering around. Louis armstrong park is walkable too. we stayed for 2 nights this was probably enough time to see all the main sights IMO.
we stopped at Pensacola beach on the panhandle on the way back as hasnt been before since we were passing!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List