Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Nov 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Beijing and HK Nov 2019 - Day7&8

Didn’t get a chance to post this yesterday. We arrived in HK!

We had a uneventful morning, we packed up our suitcases and left them at the hotel for a quick shopping trip.
We headed back to pearl market for a few hours for last minute bits and some lunch.

We grabbed a poncho with pretty flowering stitching on for my Nan. We also grabbed another puzzle for Chris’ other nephew. We weren’t sure what to get him, but we thought the Chinese boat puzzle looked cool and his brother could always help him out it together.

We then went downstairs for lunch and got noodles, sweet and sour chicken and chicken with asparagus in a sauce that tasted like black bean. It was okay, not the best - it was more warm then hot.

We then got back to the hotel for 12:30 and collected our luggage. We decided to take the metro to the airport to PEK. It wasn’t too bad, except for the lack of elevators or escalators. But we managed! It cost 3yuan to get to the airport express line and then 25 yuan each for the airport express line. I think it took us about 20-30 minutes on the line. We asked the hotel how much taxi was and they said 120ish. We had 100 left after our trip and couldn’t be bothered to get more out!

We used the last of our money on a Costa coffee each and then made our way to the gate at 3ish, you have to take a metro type train to get to the right section of the terminal. I think it was like 10 minutes.

They also don’t appear to read out all of the flight numbers here, we waited around the gate for them to open. it was a very busy yet very quiet airport. It was also quite dark. I much prefer their new one on the other side of Beijing.

We boarded the flight very quickly and the pilot then said we had a wait as it was rush hour here in Beijing, 20 minutes later we were off.

An hour in we were served food. Choice was chicken with rice or fish with pasta. We both went for chicken. Wasn’t bad for plane food, might have been because we were hungry.

We both enjoyed the ice cream. Nom!

We landed in HK at 8:20 and we were through immigration and collected our bags and on the express train at 8:40!

We grabbed an Oyster card and paid $150 hkd, we had no idea how much it would cost. So when we jumped off at Hong Kong to transfer to central we were surprised it was -$10! So we had to put some more on to go from central to Tsim Sha Shui. This turned out to be free. We obviously don’t understand this metro system yet!

We exited through N5, right opposite out hotel - holiday inn golden mile. Very nice hotel! Only downside it’s round the corner from chunking mansion so you get bombarded every time you walk out.

We needed water and saw a 7Eleven across the street, so we grabbed some from there for tonight along with a cream bun for the morning.

Today we haven’t done a lot. We are 5 mins walk from the waterfront so we went for a stroll down there to avenue of stars, we then walked back up to Kowloon park and this afternoon we have found another supermarket nearby to grab some decent coffee and more water and then chilled by the pool.

So far we both agree there’s just something about HK that feels a lot different to Beijing. Maybe it’s because of all of the protests. In the park when we walked back we could smell the tear gas from the uni, it made both our eyes water a little so it’s not too far, maybe we are just on edge from that. Tomorrow we’re hitting Victoria peak, of everything goes to plan.
Old 17 Nov 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Tonight we decided to head to the best cheung fun restaurant. We decided to walk up Nathan road until we were tired and then jump in the metro. It was about 6, we were just getting past Jordan when we could see some blue flashing lights. We carried on but realised it was protestors so turned back and jumped on the Jordan metro line. They must have been at the next stop as we didn’t stop there and continued through. We got off at Sham Shui Po. There was a night market here, lots of technology bits. We found the restaurant Hop Yip Tai. The menu here is all Chinese and no photos.

It’s not really much of a restaurant, About 4 tables and lots of chairs and you just find a seat. Luckily this is where Chris came in handy as he ordered us Cheung fun (rice noodles, we had ours in soy sauce and peanut sauce and then on the table was hoisin and sesames) and Congee (like savoury rice pudding), which we shared. Some ladies came in after us and sat next to us and spoke some English, they said this was quiet, usually about 15 minute wait, turned around was very quick.

We then wondered around the market and grabbed some spring rolls, they taste better out here! And then some chicken wings on a stick.

Now full, we headed back on the subway. But we will definitely be back here!
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I hope your stay in HK is peaceful. I saw no signs of protests except for graffiti and damage in the metro stations but I know from my son it has got worse this past week.

When we went to the Peak tram there were no queues at all. I hope the weather is nice.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

The bridge we walked under last night and then saw all the lights and decided to turn around is the one that they were on last night. Once we had turned around we wouldn’t have even known it was going on.

I think it’s just quiet around where we are staying and I guess people are on edge, so just feels a bit different.

We’re hoping to go up later afternoon around sunset so will spend some time exploring the HK island today.

Is your son near to any of the protests or is his campus far from it all?
Old 18 Nov 19, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NeeNeeWong View Post
The bridge we walked under last night and then saw all the lights and decided to turn around is the one that they were on last night. Once we had turned around we wouldn’t have even known it was going on.

I think it’s just quiet around where we are staying and I guess people are on edge, so just feels a bit different.

We’re hoping to go up later afternoon around sunset so will spend some time exploring the HK island today.

Is your son near to any of the protests or is his campus far from it all?
His campus is out of the city and not near the metro. He left yesterday to go to Thailand for 2 weeks as most people have gone home as all the classes have gone online and he figured he could work anywhere. Six of them are in an air bnb in Phuket. He texted this morning to say it is very nice and the wifi is very fast 🤣

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
His campus is out of the city and not near the metro. He left yesterday to go to Thailand for 2 weeks as most people have gone home as all the classes have gone online and he figured he could work anywhere. Six of them are in an air bnb in Phuket. He texted this morning to say it is very nice and the wifi is very fast 🤣
Very nice! I wouldn’t mind be able to work anywhere.

We’re up the peak at the moment, chilling here for a little while and then heading back. It’s getting close to where we are staying. Last night they put the gates down on the hotel so the only way in and out this morning was through a door on the gate! Here’s hoping it gets better soon. We’re just avoiding our area in the day and then in by 9 at night if the plan.

We walked around Kowloon park yesterday and on the corner we passed is where they released tear gas last night, so kind of glad we done that yesterday.
Old 18 Nov 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NeeNeeWong View Post
Very nice! I wouldn’t mind be able to work anywhere.

We’re up the peak at the moment, chilling here for a little while and then heading back. It’s getting close to where we are staying. Last night they put the gates down on the hotel so the only way in and out this morning was through a door on the gate! Here’s hoping it gets better soon. We’re just avoiding our area in the day and then in by 9 at night if the plan.

We walked around Kowloon park yesterday and on the corner we passed is where they released tear gas last night, so kind of glad we done that yesterday.
I hope somehow it would all be resolved peacefully but I am not sure how. The students at PolyU have nothing to lose as they know they face prison anyway. The worse possible situation.

Stay safe.