Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Dec 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Exciting times! Ask family and friends for recommendations for trades people. Everyone seems busy at the moment. We bought a 1950s house a few years ago. One of the first things we did was re-wire. A lot of houses in the area had been rewired. Good luck. Take pictures now, it's amazing in a few months when you look back at them, you will notice how much work you have done!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We moved in to our 1930s semi in 2014. It had been lived in for 40+ years by the same woman, and her family was selling it after she passed away. On the surface, it looked dated, but fine. We knew we wanted to make some cosmetic changes after we moved in, and replace the kitchen etc, but we actually had so much more to do. To the point, had we known before we bought it, we'd have stayed well clear.

We basically had to go back to bare brick and mud floors throughout the house. It had been neglected so badly. The electrician report the sellers supplied was basically a pack of lies, and our electrics were condemned soon after we moved in, so we needed a full rewire. An occupied rewire. I can't tell you how stressful that was for us (and the company who did it for us).

We're finally, over 5 years later, seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

All the downstairs is very nearly finished (just some architrave/skirting painting etc to do, which hubby is currently trying to get done before Christmas). 3 bedrooms upstairs are done. It's just our bedroom, the bathroom and toilet and upstairs landing that needs finishing now. All those rooms need totally ripping out and starting again. Pulling upstairs ceilings down that's old lath and plaster, with 90+ years attic dust is not fun!

Hopefully, by this time next year it'll be, if not completely, very nearly done.

Then we start on the outside!

We could have done it quicker, had we not continued to actually, you know, live, and have fun, and still go on holiday. But our kids are growing quick, they'll remember the fun times and holidays more than straight walls and a white bath and sink instead of beige lol
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside

Edited at 03:38 PM.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Good point Shani, I don't want to spend all my time and money on it for the next 5 years as my only DS is growing up fast and fun is important
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 06:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

We are nearly done with carpets removal, but Iwallpaper removal takes really long and if we want to move in this year, I have to come with other ways to remove the smell

I was thinking of the vingar & water spray everything including sealing, wash all curtains etc. Getting rid of the carpets helped a lot but some smell is still there
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
We moved in to our 1930s semi in 2014. It had been lived in for 40+ years by the same woman, and her family was selling it after she passed away. On the surface, it looked dated, but fine. We knew we wanted to make some cosmetic changes after we moved in, and replace the kitchen etc, but we actually had so much more to do. To the point, had we known before we bought it, we'd have stayed well clear.

We basically had to go back to bare brick and mud floors throughout the house. It had been neglected so badly. The electrician report the sellers supplied was basically a pack of lies, and our electrics were condemned soon after we moved in, so we needed a full rewire. An occupied rewire. I can't tell you how stressful that was for us (and the company who did it for us).

We're finally, over 5 years later, seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

All the downstairs is very nearly finished (just some architrave/skirting painting etc to do, which hubby is currently trying to get done before Christmas). 3 bedrooms upstairs are done. It's just our bedroom, the bathroom and toilet and upstairs landing that needs finishing now. All those rooms need totally ripping out and starting again. Pulling upstairs ceilings down that's old lath and plaster, with 90+ years attic dust is not fun!

Hopefully, by this time next year it'll be, if not completely, very nearly done.

Then we start on the outside!

We could have done it quicker, had we not continued to actually, you know, live, and have fun, and still go on holiday. But our kids are growing quick, they'll remember the fun times and holidays more than straight walls and a white bath and sink instead of beige lol
Ahh the ceilings. I feel your pain.

I have 1 left to do that means 71 years worth of muck to fall on my head!

It's actually fine but I want spots in the dining room and that means a rip down. I have put it off for 2 years but after Xmas down its coming.

OP. Have you got a good steam stripper? If not it's worth hiring one but watch the powerful ones as they produce so much heat they can 'pop' the plaster behind.

As long as it's not woodchip (yuk) it should be possible to do a room in under an hour.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:08 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Is this what I need?
azhire.ie/wallpaper-stripper,offer/

this?
hirehere.ie/Wallpaper-Stripper

or this
hss.ie/g/61132/wallpaper-stripper-240v.html

we bought this but is not as strong as you describe at all

woodies.ie/blackdecker-k...tripper-490010
Old 9 Dec 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Is this what I need?
azhire.ie/wallpaper-stripper,offer/

this?
hirehere.ie/Wallpaper-Stripper

or this
hss.ie/g/61132/wallpaper-stripper-240v.html

we bought this but is not as strong as you describe at all

woodies.ie/blackdecker-k...tripper-490010
I would opt for No2. The reason being is the bigger the tank the less often it will run dry and you have to stop to refill and wait for it to boil.

OK in the first instance it will take 20 mins to heat up but then you will get about 2+ hours of steam.

Shop around the hire shops for the best deal and haggle when you go there. Most will do a weekend rate or push for a 2nd day free.

Bear in mind they want it back clean as well and that's best to do as it's cooling down. Take it back covered in dried on paper and they charge a cleaning fee.

Watch out for pets and children as that steam is lethal. Don't wear cotton gloves or you will get burnt as they get wet then superheat quickly - bit like an oven glove that gets wet.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Upstairs dilemma treating the original floor boards (great condition) or for same price getting a laminate floor with sound reducing underlay

any opinions

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Old 12 Dec 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Upstairs dilemma treating the original floor boards (great condition) or for same price getting a laminate floor with sound reducing underlay

any opinions
Love original floorboards but I would go for laminate as will stope draughty etc and possibly be less maintenance- waxing etc.
Old 12 Dec 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

When we bought our current house (25 years ago) it had been converted into two flats and we had to put it back together. It was built in 1900 and had been in the same family that whole time so needed updating although was liveable.

We had a 1 year old at the time which certainly added to the challenge.

We found that doing it one room at a time - with the baby's room being priority, worked well for us. We also had to put the staircase in but that's another story! I agree with other comments about getting the really messy work done first, electrics and sockets, plumbing etc as that causes so much mess. We did have the luxury of living upstairs while the messy work downstairs was completed and vice versa but joining it all up caused a lot of disruption.

By doing the decorating one room at a time we always had other rooms that we could use and a spare that we could store all the furniture and bits from the one we were decorating. Baby number two came along a year later and we were still going. The whole house probably took a few years to finish completely.

The benefit of that is that it doesn't all need redecorating at the same time as it could if you do the whole thing at once.

It really depends on how good you are with looking at bare walls - i became very used to bare plaster in the stairwell and landings

Flooring has always been a challenge for us. We have some original floorboards and have to regularly seal between them to reduce drafts, some carpets and laminate in the girls bedrooms after their arts and crafts and then makeup ruined the carpets.

I am on the trawl now for suitable flooring for the majority of downstairs and am interested in what others are saying here

Edited at 02:11 PM.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List