Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Feb 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky View Post
Disney has now lost us as a customer for the parks!

We’re not big into the rides. If we do 10 rides in 2 weeks, that is at the top end. We are lucky to have done them all a hundred times over the years, at a time when park admission was much more reasonable, and crowds were not as intense as they are now.

We love the shows, but they don’t change, so even they have lost their shine for us.

That said, over the years we have continued to fork out for the park tickets, as it is all part of the experience and we love to soak up the atmosphere for an hour or two. However, at £588 ppn, that is no longer a luxury we can justify.

Looking at the maths... We visit Disney twice a year, for 2 weeks at a time, and on average we go into the parks 8 times during a 2 week stay (we avoid weekends and our first and last day when we are travelling). This amounts to 16 visits to the parks over the 2 trips. £588 x 2 adults divided by 16 days = £73.50 per day “just to walk around the parks”. It doesn’t make financial sense.

We are visiting WDW in September, and will see how we get on without the parks, but I strongly suspect this will be the first step in us choosing to walk away from our DVC, as without the parks, a stay at Disney is little different to staying at any other hotel with a pool.

We don’t regret buying our DVC, but we’ve had 10 years of enjoyment, and maybe it’s time to sell up while the dollar is strong against the pound, and resale prices are favourable.
Noooo. Who is going to sunbathe with us if you don't come!

My Wife likes setting up your sun loungers as you know. Also your Wife will be pleased to know I have bought new bathers so wont have a repetition of what happened last time.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Noooo. Who is going to sunbathe with us if you don't come!

My Wife likes setting up your sun loungers as you know. Also your Wife will be pleased to know I have bought new bathers so wont have a repetition of what happened last time.
Okay Tom. We won’t make any hasty decisions on selling up until we’ve checked out your new bathers

Given that we’re swerving the parks in September, we’ve decided to ditch BWV to stay at OKW. We only stay at BWV because of it’s proximity to Epcot and DHS.

Tell Mrs Morrow that we’ll be needing her sun lounger services on 12 Sept. Usual time and place
MrBlueSky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

If you look at it differently it still works out as roughly $2.50 a day which is a bargain.
APs are not designed for us here in the UK who probably only go a maximum of 6 weeks a year.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
If you look at it differently it still works out as roughly $2.50 a day which is a bargain.
APs are not designed for us here in the UK who probably only go a maximum of 6 weeks a year.
Even at 6 weeks it works out at around $17 a day inc tax which is not that bad really. It's the upfront cost that is v hard to swallow, I wish they did monthly payments like Universal.

The exchange rate is still killing us, it needs to get back up over 1.5, fat chance of that happening anytime soon though!
Old 12 Feb 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

They cost in very well when you book an extra trip and have to stay offsite!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The higher they go the better as far as I am concerned. Far to many people (locals) with passes filling the parks. Epcot festivals at the weekend are rammed with pass people!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

I agree. Despite the price of the AP rocketing over the last few years, it is still fabulous value if you live locally, and love Disney.

Also, if we still smashed the parks as we used to (and as Tom Morrow and his Tomettes still do ), we would still splash out. However, based on our more laid back approach to the parks, we can’t make it pay for us at £73 per day of usage.

It remains to be seen whether we change our tune after our parkless trip to Disney in September
MrBlueSky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrBlueSky
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Even at 6 weeks it works out at around $17 a day inc tax which is not that bad really. It's the upfront cost that is v hard to swallow, I wish they did monthly payments like Universal.

The exchange rate is still killing us, it needs to get back up over 1.5, fat chance of that happening anytime soon though!
I remember the days of $2.10 to the £1 back in Nov 2007 when we first considered and decided against DVC.

By the time we finally took the plunge and purchased our first DVC in 2010, the rate was $1.57 to the £1

When we did an add on in 2014 it was $1.67 to the £1.

I don’t see those heady days returning anytime soon
Old 12 Feb 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky View Post
I agree. Despite the price of the AP rocketing over the last few years, it is still fabulous value if you live locally, and love Disney.

Also, if we still smashed the parks as we used to (and as Tom Morrow and his Tomettes still do ), we would still splash out. However, based on our more laid back approach to the parks, we can’t make it pay for us at £73 per day of usage.

It remains to be seen whether we change our tune after our parkless trip to Disney in September
You Guys need a day in the MK with us!
Full on for 8 hours, none of this shade or air con nonsense and no having an hour for lunch. Just go for it!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List