Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Feb 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Canada bans cruise ships till Feb 2022

Just seen this 🙁.

canada.ca/en/transport-c...ODAjn25fhAgfr0

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I understand why but I don’t see how the companies will survive.

P and O have docked one of their ships nearby and we went to see it at the weekend. I so wanted to go onboard.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I understand why but I don’t see how the companies will survive.

P and O have docked one of their ships nearby and we went to see it at the weekend. I so wanted to go onboard.
Like the Union Flag on the front.
Old 4 Feb 21, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Will be interesting to see if other countries start making such decisions. Wonder if the cruise industry was given a heads up or if Disney et al are tonight deep in thought about future plans and how this will play out for them.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So I have a non-DCL Alaska booked and my TA did mention earlier in the week that there were rumbling that the season might need to be delayed at least so I think there has been some talk between the industry and Canada. I guess we have to wait and see. Other countries have already got similar things in place such as Australia for example. Europe did re-start cruises over the summer so who knows what they will do
Old 5 Feb 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

This will mainly just affect cruises from the US mainland going up to Alaska. Non US registered ships have to call at a non US port to be able to operate a USA-USA trip (1920 Jones Act).Hence why nearly all cruise ships stop in Canada when heading to Alaska.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
deano1212
slightly serious Dibber

deano1212's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Interesting. We are booked on the magic honhs from24th October to Canada and we’ve heard nothing from DCL and it is still on sale on their website?
deano1212 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by deano1212 View Post
Interesting. We are booked on the magic honhs from24th October to Canada and we’ve heard nothing from DCL and it is still on sale on their website?
Disney will take a little while to respond to this news. The Alaska cruises disappeared off the website for sale over the weekend. Yours however I agree is still showing but not sure why. There maybe a chance they are thinking of rescheduling the itinerary perhaps to a Bermuda cruise instead (as they would need to go to at least 1 non-US port to sail) but it is hard to know. Its also no guarantee that because the Alaska cruises have all gone off sale they will be cancelled. Until an official announcement comes from DCL we wont really know. This is likely to take a few days so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until the end of the week. Most cruise lines were pushing for Alaska to reopen and therefore hadn't cancelled their routes so now need to rethink things.
Old 8 Feb 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

The company we use for small boat adventure cruises called UNCRUISE are sailing in Alaska, they have less than 100 passengers and crew so are allowed to sail.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
The company we use for small boat adventure cruises called UNCRUISE are sailing in Alaska, they have less than 100 passengers and crew so are allowed to sail.
I thought the ban was for anything over 12 passengers so this still wouldn't be allowed but I may have read that wrong.

The trouble is with the smaller ships if larger ships aren't coming into some of the ports will the shops etc open or will it not be worth the money to do so. It'll be interesting to see what happens. We were/are technically booked on a 450 passenger ship and have been told by our TA it will be cancelled this week just waiting on the official announcement so we can move to another cruise later in the year.