Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 May 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Thinking of you today April, as we saw ‘Solo’ at the cinema. Good but not essential in our view - but Lando is in it a lot, which might make it essential for you!
I'm still not sure how I feel about the new Lando...

...he doesn't seem to have that "twinkle in the eye" quality that Billy Dee had.

Thanks for the review - I think your less than ringing endorsement means we'll wait and see it at the second run cinema.

I used to live about fifteen minutes away from a fantastic second run cinema. All the films were a DOLLAR. There are VERY FEW movies that aren't worth a dollar.

But to see "Solo" at the first run cinema near us is £14.25. Bonkers!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

We pay £8 through ‘Vue Money’ with Peter’s John Lewis discount.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Our Radio DJs were talking about the Solo movie this morning. The guy (in his late 40s/ early 50s?) was saying he didn't love the movie, but didn't dislike it but that Donald Glover was AMAZING as Lando- a real smooth talker. Enough that he though Glover could carry a movie if Lando got one.

(He also said he never though he'd say it, but that there might be a bit Star Wars overkill and he thinks they need to space out the offerings. I think I agree.)

In other news, I'm thrilled to hear Frite Alors is on the docket for the Montreal trip. It really was so good.
Have you looked at the menu yet? fritealors/menu/
We had the hamburgers but the fun was all the sauces for the french fries.

I -really- am hoping to go to skating, so if you are serious about wanting to get together, I hope you will message me as you make your plans and get your tickets.

In other news, a Blaze pizza just opened downtown. We rarely go out to eat, but I'm thinking about going for a little taste of Disney, people always rave about it. Anyone think it is worth it "at home"- or is it only yummy when Disney is in the air?
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Oh, one more thought... I haven't cruised a big ship for Celebrity, but we did use them for our Galapagos sailing. For all that I have put you off cruising Carnival, I wouldn't take any of that to transfer to a line like Celebrity. Although the small ship Celebrity experience is very different from the large ship (the food for instance was very limited on the Xpedition), the service was phenomenal.

The only thing I've heard is that there is not a lot for kids to do on Celebrity.

I really do want to eat in their Qsine restaurant. But it is usually just my husband and I, and I feel like you need a big group so you can try tons of things.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We pay £8 through ‘Vue Money’ with Peter’s John Lewis discount.
That's the problem with both R.C. and me being self-employed, Gill. The benefits are crap.

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Our Radio DJs were talking about the Solo movie this morning. The guy (in his late 40s/ early 50s?) was saying he didn't love the movie, but didn't dislike it but that Donald Glover was AMAZING as Lando- a real smooth talker. Enough that he though Glover could carry a movie if Lando got one.

(He also said he never though he'd say it, but that there might be a bit Star Wars overkill and he thinks they need to space out the offerings. I think I agree.)

In other news, I'm thrilled to hear Frite Alors is on the docket for the Montreal trip. It really was so good.
Have you looked at the menu yet? fritealors/menu/
We had the hamburgers but the fun was all the sauces for the french fries.

I -really- am hoping to go to skating, so if you are serious about wanting to get together, I hope you will message me as you make your plans and get your tickets.

In other news, a Blaze pizza just opened downtown. We rarely go out to eat, but I'm thinking about going for a little taste of Disney, people always rave about it. Anyone think it is worth it "at home"- or is it only yummy when Disney is in the air?
Unless we have a serious illness or death in the family () - I'm ABSOLUTELY going in 2020, provided I can get a hotel room.

Boston 2016 had hotel packages that opened for booking (at quite competitive prices) the same day as ticket sales - but Montreal didn't put anything together like that for the gymnastics. I would IMAGINE that the skating will draw far more people from outside Quebec...we shall see. I want to stay at the Loews, as the venue will be walkable from there.

I'm not "Star Wars"-ed out, as the last one I saw was "Revenge of the Sith" (sorry to repeat my rant, but ALL the SW movies made since Poot was born have been unsuitable for children, despite Disney selling scads of toys to promote them ). But I think you must be right - as it looks like the weekend takings were far lower than expected. So much for a Lando movie!

And as for Blaze...

Do you have a Punch? - or are those still just in MN? It's very similar. We ate at both Blaze and Via Napoli on our 2016 Orlando trip - and VN was better. Blaze is good enough (nice and light) - and cheap for WDW - but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Having said that, I'm not a pizza fiend. If I were in Des Moines, I'd rather go to Smitty's.
Old 29 May 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Oh, one more thought... I haven't cruised a big ship for Celebrity, but we did use them for our Galapagos sailing. For all that I have put you off cruising Carnival, I wouldn't take any of that to transfer to a line like Celebrity. Although the small ship Celebrity experience is very different from the large ship (the food for instance was very limited on the Xpedition), the service was phenomenal.

The only thing I've heard is that there is not a lot for kids to do on Celebrity.

I really do want to eat in their Qsine restaurant. But it is usually just my husband and I, and I feel like you need a big group so you can try tons of things.
Was the Branson trip this weekend, Jessica? I can't remember.

Thanks for the advice. It's funny, I was so sure that Poot would love the kids' club on the Magic, but he didn't. So I think I'm just going to go ahead assuming that he'll be with me/us - and pick what I think will suit The Queen and the rest of us adults.

I hear you about big groups - we could see how much fun they were having in the bars and restaurants. That is an experience I'm sure we would really enjoy. I've talked with my best girlfriend about our families cruising together one day...but I've got to get R.C. through next year's Alaskan adventure with The Queen and Hans first.

I know he'll love it...provided I can get him on the boat.
Old 29 May 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

No - Branson is in July.

This weekend we just had a neighborhood picnic.
Old 30 May 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Please accept my offering of cheese curds 😁

Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Je suis ici enfin!

...Slidding doors! Good start.

Sorry I couldn’t find a studlier Mountie for you, ladies. You know I looked.

Here: -

And, "elegant French" - well done you! Mine's, "almost entirely forgotten school French". It's good to know tensions between English and French speakers are disappearing. It benefits no one in the end.

...infused of hay, indeed.

*rolling eyes* What's wrong with chocolate? Chilli-infused, of course!

I feel I should say I can't identify with this: -

Our “Montréal clothes” (I was WAY more vexed about this than a normal person would be, I’m sure ...

...But, alas, I would have been a tad mournful, too. I'd have put a lot of thought into it and been looking forward to it. The Next t-shirts are lovely, too.

...but we just called it “The Butter People”.

Apparently, this one's real butter

Lots to see around Montreal. I've spent time in Toronto and driven across to Kingston, but didn't get as far as Ottawa, never mind Montreal. ...Would love to, though.

Gymnastics...

I'm a bit disappointed not to see a picture of you doing a ...handstand?... in front of the sign, but onwards and upwards...

As for the theatre lighting, wouldn't camera flashes from the audience be more likely to distract the gymnasts in such conditions? *ponders*

Still, this is photo gold

I love it!

Whoops, injuries!

I love the French, I really do - but let’s be honest - organisation is NOT their forte. I’ve been to LOTS of sporting events all over the world - and well, just...no.

Am I the only one who thought "cheese forte", when I read this?
(Taking liberties with language, there, I know. )

Kudos to the Swiss fans. I'm tempted to think that if you dip your whole body in red dye for the event, you should be able to keep your cowbell. Well, maybe not if you're sat right next to me, but a few rows away...

Also, I realise it's not the same, but that kind of level and variety of sensory stimulation (bright lights, big noise, gymnasts to watch in several directions, etc.) could be a lot for anyone. I don't think I'd have been able to read with all that going on. Poot did well. His explanation is très articulate, too.

Shame about the horseboy!

Oh! Just Max in just one final?

I'm not sure I can read on.

But I shall solider on.

Yay, Tink!

She and Mother decided to call Kenzo Shirai (a gymnast from Japan) “Twisty MacTwistyTrews” because he’s good at twisting. They thought this was very funny. But I think it would have been funnier if he had been Scottish - and not Japanese.**

...TR gold!

Interesting what you say about C de S. I haven't been, but when I see bits I think, "Impressive, but I don't think I could sit through a whole show."

The photo of Mont Royal from downtown is a beautiful contrast. Must sign off for now, but back real soon to see how you got up the mountain.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 01:57 AM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post

Please accept my offering of cheese curds 😁

No apology necessary...I do not in ANY WAY labour under the misapprehension that my trippie is anyone's priority but mine.

You're not off the hook on the themed clothing front, though...what's it going to be?

Or are you stuck for ideas?

If you are...well...I'M NOT!